Why become a member? ×

Aye, they don't build 'em like they used to...

Aluminium neck-through - that's unusual, especially as the neck is bolted to the body. I don't think even Kramer did that. And you can see where Mazeti got the idea for their odd headstock that can be seen in a recent MDP auction. Looks like ridiculously narrow string spacing, although that may be because of the huge body and long thin aluminium neck section running along it.

A rare and collectable bass in what appears to be very good condition (certainly compared to a lot of examples I've seen in the past), so the price is hardly surprising.

BTW Travis Bean guitars and basses were essentially neck-through as the aluminium part extended all the way to the bridge.

On 25/05/2023 at 19:52, Waddo Soqable said:

I actually like the headstock idea.. But 4 grand +++, seriously? 

A quick check on Reverb immediately brings up a 1958 guitar for £8.2k and a 1962 guitar for £7.7k.

Know your market. 🤑

My complaint would be that, for a £4k listing, there's ridiculously little information there. Granted, any serious collector will already know the websites to check and won't ask silly questions like "what does it weigh" and "what's the string spacing at the bridge", but by not bothering to supply any information - not even the date of manufacture 😨 - the vendor is doing himself no favours.

As to buying it, my guess would be that it's a right bugger to play, weighs a (metric) ton, and offers very little tonally. But it's cool as f***, will only go up in value, and I'd certainly consider buying it as an investment to hang on the wall.

Edited by Happy Jack

IIRC if the body has any depth to it, it will be hollow, so probably relatively lightweight. However it will be "changeling" to play.

There used to be a rather battered Wandré guitar hanging up in one of the music shops in Croydon. This was in the days before there was any easily found information about them on line. Unfortunately it had gone by time I was able to go back with the intention of making a cheeky offer for it.