Why become a member? ×

Short scale options

FinnDave

13 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Although for different reasons,  I use a capo on the 2nd fret on a bass tuned to D standard. I find it works a treat.

Scale length is about 30½ inches  that way.

I might try that on my long scale. Really more for swapping between E and D standard. I have 2 guitars, 1 in E and the other in D standard for recording and that might make things a lot easier for trying stuff out.

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

I might try that on my long scale. Really more for swapping between E and D standard. I have 2 guitars, 1 in E and the other in D standard for recording and that might make things a lot easier for trying stuff out.

Sorry.  Neglected to mention that the bass in question is 34" scale (G&L SB-2 Tribute)

It had much heavier and stiifer strings than I'd have liked when I got it, and they still had plenty of life. I tuned it to D Standard to lower the tension and it also decreased the neck relief to a point that suited me better.

The capo was really a convenient later addition to save the need for retuning to a point that the string tension became an issue again. 

Luckily,  it also sounds great as a really punchy short-scale!

• Like 1

I switched a couple of years ago to mainly using short scales due to shoulder/elbow issues. I find my Musicman Stingray Short Scale to have all the sounds I want and it really helps me enjoy playing for around twice as long as my full scale jazz bass. 

• Like 1

Another thumbs up for Fender Mustangs - in my case a 2013 Japanese model which is loosely a 1966 slab-bodied reissue.

No hand problems for me yet, but a shoulder problem which led me to look for lightweight basses.

It's still very Fendery - side by side with my Precision I'd say the P is still that bit smoother and fuller sounding, but the Mustang is very much in the same ballpark and with a character of its own to boot - with rounds its a midrangy, gnarly sort of bass, and with flats its into slightly quacky, punchy sort of tones.

Definitely easier on the left hand, with your left arm not having to stretch so far to reach either, and a smaller, narrower neck than a P. I get the feeling that the Japanese Mustangs like mine have a shallower neck profile than the JMJs.

Good luck and I hope you get to try some options and find one that suits you.

@FinnDave In case you haven't seen it, there is a huge short scale topic here. Look for 'The Short Scale Bass Appreciation Society!' in this forum. Sorry, work PC not letting me copy & paste link. 

I have dipped my toes into SS briefly once before and am now having another go with the SBMM Stingray that others have already mentioned. It's too early to make my mind up on it, as I need to play it plugged in some more. But acoustically, it's a lot of fun to play in my lap. Very well built and an excellent smooth satin neck finish. I am considering moving over due to back issues, whilst I'm still getting my head around the shorter left hand reaches and jazz width nut, I mostly love the lighter weight and fact that it's easier to transport (fits in car boot even in hard case). 

If weight is an issue for you, don't presume that all short scale basses are considerably lighter than long scale ones, it's not always the case. That said, my Stingray comes in at a very comfy 3.3Kg / 7.8lbs. Good luck with your search. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dmc79 said:

@FinnDave In case you haven't seen it, there is a huge short scale topic here. Look for 'The Short Scale Bass Appreciation Society!' in this forum. Sorry, work PC not letting me copy & paste link. 

I have dipped my toes into SS briefly once before and am now having another go with the SBMM Stingray that others have already mentioned. It's too early to make my mind up on it, as I need to play it plugged in some more. But acoustically, it's a lot of fun to play in my lap. Very well built and an excellent smooth satin neck finish. I am considering moving over due to back issues, whilst I'm still getting my head around the shorter left hand reaches and jazz width nut, I mostly love the lighter weight and fact that it's easier to transport (fits in car boot even in hard case). 

If weight is an issue for you, don't presume that all short scale basses are considerably lighter than long scale ones, it's not always the case. That said, my Stingray comes in at a very comfy 3.3Kg / 7.8lbs. Good luck with your search. 

There you go:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I shall look at the short scale bass thread after dinner. I bought a Squier Mustang today and have played it without any complaints from my arthritic finger(s) so far.

Welcome to the shorty brigade, watch out, they’re addictive.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I shall look at the short scale bass thread after dinner. I bought a Squier Mustang today and have played it without any complaints from my arthritic finger(s) so far.

It will cost you more money! There's lots of lovely examples in that thread, and some great advice too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you’re going to look wider, Atelier Z and ACG make top end short scale instruments. If you have that level of budget of course. Chowny do a set of UK made ones as well.

• Like 1