Why become a member? ×

Bass overdrives

maxrossell

Never having used one, this is a subject I know very little about.

So say I'm playing through a pretty clean amp but I want to break up the sound into a bit of a grindy growl, but without losing any of the definition or the bass end (I want it to feel like I've just turned up the gain, basically, not kicked on a noise box) - what would be the best candidates for this kind of effect?

I'd give the Bad Monkey a go. I did the bass mod on mine, but to be honest it did sound on bass good prior to this. Plus they can be had cheap.

Having said all that, hoping to finish off building a Fulltone Bassdrive clone this weekend. Heard good reports on these too. Essentially another Tubescreamer variant...

[quote name='bigjohn' post='477109' date='May 1 2009, 03:38 PM']I've got a DHA VT1 bass overdrive that I might be willing to part with.

It's basically a valve, and a gain knob, input / output levels and true bypass.

Simple but very effective![/quote]

These are awesome too, I had a VT2 before I went on the quest to downsize my pedalboard. But for low gain grit I haven't found anything better.

I'll always recommend the Owen Bass Gremlin if you can find one. Very versatile and natural sounding pedal.

I use the MXR M80 for overdrive, although it's also a clean boost and a DI box. The blend control works really well, you don't lose any low end and keep your tone. It's clear and cuts really well

You're gonna get a hundred different reccomendations from a hundred different users, but it sounds like you're looking for more of a low gain OD, perhaps even dirty boost territory, the Bad Monkey is great for this, at low gain settings it adds a lovely tubey warmth and growl, but it can do more full on OD as well, without actually having tubes which would cost you 3 times as much. Mine was modded by one of our members, silent fly, and I love it, but it's really up to your own taste/budget. The cream Pie or the Barber LTD special recipe are some pricier boutique options too, there's plenty of choice out there

Edited by bobbass4k

I'm currently using a modd'ed Boss BD-2 Blues Driver.

I changed the input and output caps to give more bass response and the tone circuit, and the clipping diodes, sounds really good on my bass, big and dirty, but with the ability to really clean up too.

If anyone has one they want modding to make it more bass firendly let me know.

Edited by The Cooler King