Why become a member? ×

Status S2 Classic BO 5

Wil

My S2 classic is the nicest bass I've ever owned. The fit and finish are immaculate, it plays easier than any bass I've ever played, and the range of tones available is immense. Still, I'm finding that the bass I pick up most is my Series 1, and as they are so similar, its making me think I cant really justify having this one sitting around.

I had this made for me earlier this year direct from Status. Its a Walnut body with Tiger Maple (sounds far cooler than Flamed Maple :huh:) front wings and a walnut tone block. 2 octave graphite bolt on neck, monorail bridge, and the standard S2 preamp (bass, treble, mid freq select and mid cut/flat/boost switch). The colour is Aqua Blue but its actually more a sea green/turquoise in the flesh. I had it finished in high gloss at extra cost, and its a very high quality finish.

Tonally it can go from snappy bright high mid growl to low mid burp to mid scooped funk slap heaven - the 18 volt EQ is very powerful. It does a great Billy Gould Faith No More tone, a great later John Entwistle tone, a great Mark King-esq slap tone, a great Stu Zender style fingerstyle tone, hell, it does a lot of really great tones. The graphite neck adds a great deal of clarity and is rock solid. Action is low, could go ultra low if needs be without problems. Tightest B I've used as well.

Pics:

I reserve the right to be a indecisive sod and change my mind about its availabilty at any point, blubbering like a child as I do so :)

Edited by Wil

If there was another bass that had so far caught my eye, then indeed that would be fine... alas, alac, however, the kind of basses I'm after are not known for being particularly common on the used market.

[quote name='Steve_K' post='50260' date='Aug 24 2007, 04:43 PM']My fretless S2? Totally different beast.

Edit: Hmm, actually - I'll pass; I could live with the bolt on, but not with a head :)[/quote]

:huh: I knew you'd draw the line at the head!

[quote name='Dillsfretless' post='50159' date='Aug 24 2007, 02:19 PM']Drooool ......................... That Bass is a beaut! If it were headless I would have to have it!!!!

I don't have the spare cash right now, but out of interest how much would it take for you to part with it? (a feeler for your feeler!)[/quote]

+ F'n 1 :) Gorgeous bass!

I've just bought BassJamm's lovely US Jazz today - I really have no need for more basses at the moment. So, my fit of madness is over, I'm sure you'll be pleased to hear! Officially withdrawn.

I'll spend some time with the Jazz and come back to this one in time, and if needs be get a fretless neck made.

• 1 month later...

A month later, and I've not touched my S2 apart from a quick noodle here and there. I do believe that a bass this fine deserves to be played every day, so I've decided that its now definately up for sale.

*Price edited out as it's now on ebay, and I want to let the auction run its course*

I do believe I will be purchasing a G&L Asat semi hollow with the proceeds, as I'm going back to 4 strings with a drop tuner for the most part and enjoying a more traditional vibe! So, trades for a semi hollow Asat will be entertained, providing its the right colour and has a maple board...

Edited by Wil

[quote name='Wil' post='68599' date='Oct 2 2007, 12:33 PM']A month later, and I've not touched my S2 apart from a quick noodle here and there. I do believe that a bass this fine deserves to be played every day, so I've decided that its now definately up for sale.

I'm asking £1000, collected from Bristol. I paid £1550 for it, so that's £550 off the new price and its in as new condition, strung with Labella Deep Talkin' flats at the moment.

I do believe I will be purchasing a G&L Asat semi hollow with the proceeds, as I'm going back to 4 strings with a drop tuner for the most part and enjoying a more traditional vibe! So, trades for a semi hollow Asat will be entertained, providing its the right colour and has a maple board...[/quote]
Wil, you b*st*rd :huh: This was gonna be the blueprint (literally, given the colour!) for my next Status, and now you're selling this one just as I buy a house. Git! Good luck tho :)

I know! Oh well, at least if it sells on basschat/finnbass/Statii etc its "in the family" so to speak :)

Merton, your Status J has actually partially inspired my current Encore P bass project - all black body and hardware with a Status neck, only probably a lefty neck for the reverse headstock look... need to have at least one graphite neck around you see!