Why become a member? ×

Fender HiMass vs Gotoh 201B-4

BassAdder60

I’ve got Fender Hi Mass bridges on my PBass basses which I mostly like but …,

On one bass the G string has a tiny vibrating tone that appears to be caused by the HiMass bridge 

This isn’t just normal string tone but something in addition to the string ringing. I think it might be the saddle itself but I’m not sure ?

Anyway I’ve ordered the Gotoh 201B-4 to try as it looks like the saddles are better and still in keeping with the HiMass style.

Any users of Gotoh and opinions ??

Please don’t suggest option C ie every other kind of alternative as I know they exist as does the basic bent plate style that were removed as the grub screws would always work loose. 

Im curious if the Gotoh is decent 

Edited by BassAdder60

When i had a bass handbuilt, i chose all very high end hardware and i went with yhe gotoh high mass bridge. I like it a lot. Easy to change strings, looks good and is a great option.

Is this the one youre talking about?

20230118_182709.thumb.jpg.74b5b778812b55999b0ed043c1a3c0d8.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lidl e said:

When i had a bass handbuilt, i chose all very high end hardware and i went with yhe gotoh high mass bridge. I like it a lot. Easy to change strings, looks good and is a great option.

Similar but I think that’s the 404BO bridge .. the one I’ve ordered is 201-B that doesn’t have the string loading slots across the back section 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

Similar but I think that’s the 404BO bridge .. the one I’ve ordered is 201-B that doesn’t have the string loading slots across the back section 

i like this one. really solid and it sits on the bass face really well if that makes sense. feels like it should be there.

5 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

I’ve got Fender Hi Mass bridges on my PBass basses which I mostly like but …,

On one bass the G string has a tiny vibrating tone that appears to be caused by the HiMass bridge 

This isn’t just normal string tone but something in addition to the string ringing. I think it might be the saddle itself but I’m not sure ?

Anyway I’ve ordered the Gotoh 201B-4 to try as it looks like the saddles are better and still in keeping with the HiMass style.

Any users of Gotoh and opinions ??

Please don’t suggest option C ie every other kind of alternative as I know they exist as does the basic bent plate style that were removed as the grub screws would always work loose. 

Im curious if the Gotoh is decent 

Does it ring on open note or fretted? If only on the open, it could actually be the nut slot. 

Also is it the string itself?

String break angle if saddle is very low.

Are the grub screws even and making good contact with the

bottom of the plate. 

Is the string sitting on the saddle nicely. Push down on the string before the saddle then retune. 

Just some thoughts. 

Yes gotah are good. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Twincam said:

Does it ring on open note or fretted? If only on the open, it could actually be the nut slot. 

Also is it the string itself?

String break angle if saddle is very low.

Are the grub screws even and making good contact with the

bottom of the plate. 

Is the string sitting on the saddle nicely. Push down on the string before the saddle then retune. 

Just some thoughts. 

Yes gotah are good. 

It only started doing it when I changed the bridge to a Fender HiMass so I think it’s the bridge saddle or spring vibrating perhaps.

More noticeable on fretted notes especially around 12th fret and higher 

20 hours ago, lidl e said:

That's no Gotoh but a Hipshot style B. The Gotoh 201B and the Fender Hi-Mass bridge don't have the top loading feature, you need to feed the strings all the way through. I much prefer the Hipshot! It's a fair bit more expensive than the other two though. I had this bridge on 3 Carvin basses, and there's a custom version with 16.5mm spacing on my Atelier Z Baby Z. 

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

That's no Gotoh but a Hipshot style B. The Gotoh 201B and the Fender Hi-Mass bridge don't have the top loading feature, you need to feed the strings all the way through. I much prefer the Hipshot! It's a fair bit more expensive than the other two though. I had this bridge on 3 Carvin basses, and there's a custom version with 16.5mm spacing on my Atelier Z Baby Z. 

funny you mention that! i was questioning it. I said gotoh because they are gotoh tuners (i believe!!!)

it's been many years i had this built. I knew there was gotoh something.