Why become a member? ×

Jim Dunlop Super bright.

jazzyvee

I recently bought a couple of new sets of these  strings from the Dunlop stand at the guitar show in Solihull earlier this year. 

Anyway i was replacing an older set. My normal procedure is to just lay the string so it is about an inch or so past the next tuner along then cut it. This is usually enough to get a tight wrap each tuning peg after poking the end down the tuner hole. However this time i cut the string and all was ok till the tension started to increase for tunning and the string started to unravel. so now i have a three string set. I contacted Dunlop but have not had a response back from them. Anyone else had this issue or can telll me what i am doing wrong. I have always used this method and my other basses that all have d'addario pro steels and never had this issue.This is the second time it's happened with dunlop strings.

It depends on the core construction. Round core strings will unravel if you cut them before putting a steep bend in them. Hex cores will usually stay ok as the edges of the hex shape gives the wrap something to grip on.

But even then hex can come apart too. It's always better to take the same approach to both, just in case.

So when you have decided on the right length do the tight right-angle bend for the bit that goes into the centre post hole before you cut it. 

Some strings - like DR and Newtone come with instructions for this, but really it's the best way to do them for every brand.

• Like 2

As a side note - I noticed today that Super brights have jumped up in price, used to be able to get them for just over £20 on ebay, now pushing £30!

On topic - I fold the end before cutting, never had an issue with them unravelling and I've been using them for about 7-8 years..

And I guess that I should cut it on the waste side of the bend. 

If strings are likely to unwrap if cut wrongly, then the right method of cutting should be on the pack somewhere to let in experienced Dunlop string users like me know. I'm putting this down to experience now and thanks for the advice chums. 🙂

Edited by jazzyvee

4 hours ago, jazzyvee said:

And I guess that I should cut it on the waste side of the bend. 

If strings are likely to unwrap if cut wrongly, then the right method of cutting should be on the pack somewhere to let in experienced Dunlop string users like me know. I'm putting this down to experience now and thanks for the advice chums. 🙂

Yes, as I said the bend should be bellow the cut.

You can fittingly cut it so that the bend piece fits the length of the hole in the tuning peg. 

Also you should never try to cut any other string to size but roundwound hex core strings, but use those other types of strings whole in their full length.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

9 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Yes, as I said the bend should be bellow the cut.

You can fittingly cut it so that the bend piece fits the length of the hole in the tuning peg. 

Also you should never try to cut any other string to size but roundwound hex core strings, but use those other types of strings whole in their full length.

Nonsense.

Every roundcore DR String packet shows how to cut them.

Newtone even have a video instruction of how to cut roundcore strings to the required length without them unravelling.

16 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

What utter tosh. 

Reputable source? 

7 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Nonsense.

Every roundcore DR String packet shows how to cut them.

Newtone even have a video instruction of how to cut roundcore strings to the required length without them unravelling.

17 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

What utter tosh. 

Reputable source? 

String designer Jon Moody https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/which-strings-for-30-3-neck.2215497/

I got lectured by him in the thread linked to above about how it wasn't even safe with hex core strings (my name on The Gear Page is NoiseNinja, the meme I did in that thread referring to the signature he used to use, something about being the bass equivalent to Batman, designing strings at day, gigging at night).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

String designer Jon Moody https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/which-strings-for-30-3-neck.2215497/

I got lectured by him in the thread linked to above about how it wasn't even safe with hex core strings (my name on The Gear Page is NoiseNinja, the meme I did in that thread referring to the signature he used to use, something about being the bass equivalent to Batman, designing strings at day, gigging at night).

Did you even read all that tosh?

It really doesn't say what you say it does. He says he doesn't recommend that a "beginner" does that.

There are many others like DR, Newtone, Thomastik who all make roundcore strings and are happy that they will be cut, and they give instructions as to how to do it properly.

Maybe he's only referring to GHS products, but it is certainly not true to say that roundcore strings should never be cut. They just have to be cut properly.

https://www.drstrings.com/proper-string-installation

Edited by fretmeister

3 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Yes, but apparently you didn't, not even the reply you quote me for.  

There is no need.

There are at least 3 other string makers of roundcore strings who disagree with your statement that all strings other than roundwound hexcore should never be cut.

Never knowingly crimped a string before cutting, and I've never had the wrap unravel. Mainly been using Dunlop and DR strings too.

So, not always a problem, clearly. I use one of those string winding tools (Dunlop i think) that has a integrated cutters, maybe they somehow crimp the string when cutting?

• 1 month later...

This is an 'odd' one. I don't know the answer, but can say that having used many, many brands of strings over almost 50 years, I have always cut them to size (if required) and never had a string unravel. Something new for me to lie staring at the ceiling, worrying about in the wee-small hours. 😱

• Like 1

On 14/06/2023 at 09:38, snorkie635 said:

This is an 'odd' one. I don't know the answer, but can say that having used many, many brands of strings over almost 50 years, I have always cut them to size (if required) and never had a string unravel. Something new for me to lie staring at the ceiling, worrying about in the wee-small hours. 😱

Ditto. 

• Like 1