Why become a member? ×

x2 Bass Soft Case for Flying

Hi guys,

I'll be flying around for a few festivals this Summer and rather than the usual x1 bass in the Hiscox in the hold, was thinking about trying carry-on (Paying for an extra seat, that is), for peace of mind as it probably doesn't work out much more expensive. Which then made me think sturdy soft case. Which then made me think a sturdy x2 Bass soft case!

In fact, I worked for a US act a few years back and the bass player travelled over with exactly this setup, and I thought it was a great idea. Unfortunately, I can't remember what bag he had!

There's a couple of things out there, namely this Gator case (https://www.thomann.de/gb/gator_g_pg_bass_guitar_double_bag.htm?glp=1), but I'm wondering if anybody has any comments on them or recommendations for something similar. The sturdier the better, of course.

Cheers
H

Edited by Powertripper

I have the single bass version of that Gator ProGo. Totally recommended. It's a great case with loads of storage and feels bulletproof. You may find it a bit weighty with 2 basses onboard though.

• Like 2

Well as long as you can def get the case in the cabin then I’d go Mono M80 Double. They’re not that much bigger than the single version, very good protection. If you need storage for pedals you can get a Tick to attach to it, put that in with your regular luggage til time for the gigs.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lidl e said:

There's zero chance you will be able to carry that on. 

Even if you bought an extra seat for it, they would put it in the hold on a sold out flight with people standing by.

But the idea would be you're already paying for the seat? Why is there zero chance? I've done it with a hard case before, and know plenty of others who have?

1 minute ago, Powertripper said:

But the idea would be you're already paying for the seat? Why is there zero chance? I've done it with a hard case before, and know plenty of others who have?

Paying for a seat is different than carry on. That will work. 

Carry on, to me, means putting in the overhead bins.

Still, as mentioned if there is a sold out flight with people on standby, they will take your seat and store your bag. 

I own & regularly use both the Gator pro single & double gig bags, I wouldn’t fly with them though….

I think the main issue would be the bulk of the double gigbag, firstly getting it onboard without being asked to gate check it,

then the issue of resting it in the footwell of the seat? Depending on who you fly with, you will struggle to set a gator pro double at a comfortable rake against the seat, & it being far too big to rest in the seat itself, that without the minimal leg room most charter flights have these days, with anything loaded in the front pocket of the gigbag.
(I’m 6’4” & like an emergency exit seat if possible on any flight over 4 hours..)

Whenever I fly with a bass these days, I just take one & that goes in an SKB Bass safe (with suitable extra clothes as padding inside the case) I have no issues with checking the case into the hold.

On 08/05/2023 at 15:17, Powertripper said:

I should have expressed more clearly in original post that I meant to reserve/pay for a seat. I would have hoped then it would be you know, guaranteed. Perhaps not. I'll give them a call.

Just bear in mind that what you are told the phone and what happens at check-in or at the gate can be entirely different things. Ultimately the final decision rests with the actual flight/check-in crew and what they say goes, irrespective of what the airline might have told you in advance.

I can't help with the case decision, but I've flown to Japan with a cello in a Hiscox case with a booked seat. The guitarist and I flew direct with Virgin and most of the gear, while the rest took a cheaper flight with a change. It worked really well. They all knew about it at the gate and on the plane. They even had a seatbelt extender ready to go round it as soon as I sat down. I only felt a bit bad for the person sat in front of it as they couldn't recline their seat! I also remember I had to call up to make the booking as you don't (didn't?) pay tax for it. There wasn't an option to do it online, but that was 2010. Things may have moved on.

5 hours ago, MichaelDean said:

I can't help with the case decision, but I've flown to Japan with a cello in a Hiscox case with a booked seat. The guitarist and I flew direct with Virgin and most of the gear, while the rest took a cheaper flight with a change. It worked really well. They all knew about it at the gate and on the plane. They even had a seatbelt extender ready to go round it as soon as I sat down. I only felt a bit bad for the person sat in front of it as they couldn't recline their seat! I also remember I had to call up to make the booking as you don't (didn't?) pay tax for it. There wasn't an option to do it online, but that was 2010. Things may have moved on.

Not sure what tax you mean but air fares are zero rated for VAT.