Why become a member? ×

Excuse me?

my suspicion is that ebay is being used to announce that the amp is for sale, then a deal can be struck in private (for less than that crazy price, obviously) without paying ebay fees

this also goes for things like that "rare 4 string guitar" someone posted a link to the other day - they're not that dumb, they just use it as a way of getting more people to see the auction, and possibly bid

[quote name='beerdragon' post='476346' date='Apr 30 2009, 07:52 PM']Don't pour Gasoline on it, it wont turn on. :)

[url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar%20Amp/product/Dumble/Overdrive%20Special%20Head/10/1"]http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...ial%20Head/10/1[/url][/quote]

That first review is hilarious!

"I called Howard Dumble. Caught him on his cell phone while he was pinching a loaf in his Las Vegas hotel room."

"I play the piccolo and drums in a three piece suitcoat of paint band aid. We do all sorts of music from yugoslavic folk ballads to super heavy bloody and gutsy death and gerbil to rectum METAL. Mostly in a religious setting."

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='476940' date='May 1 2009, 07:40 AM']That first review is hilarious!

"I called Howard Dumble. Caught him on his cell phone while he was pinching a loaf in his Las Vegas hotel room."

"I play the piccolo and drums in a three piece suitcoat of paint band aid. We do all sorts of music from yugoslavic folk ballads to super heavy bloody and gutsy death and gerbil to rectum METAL. Mostly in a religious setting."[/quote]

I have read that dumble amps are extremely expensive,yet,with that in mind,they are hand wired,of the shelf tubes,and if
you buy a combo it is an of the shelf speaker just sanded bare. You have to send him a tape of your playing,and if you are good
enough he may build you one. Just plain crazy,since when does being reclusive and arrogant, make your nothing more than average
amp so expensive and hard to obtain?
Does anyone know what artists use dumble amps? I would be curious to see if anyone still does knowing the "big secret" to these,
"amazing amps"!
/cheers
Steven

Edited by LerxstLee

I've never played through one, but how much better can it be than my vintage Fender, my Vintage Mesa, or my vintage Marshall? - all of which were less than £400.

You can download the Dumble schematics from t'interweb and copy it using the best components you can find and you'll still have change out of £750.

He explains why his amps cost more than a small house here:-

[quote name='Hamster' post='499837' date='May 28 2009, 01:33 PM']I've never played through one, but how much better can it be than my vintage Fender, my Vintage Mesa, or my vintage Marshall? - all of which were less than £400.

You can download the Dumble schematics from t'interweb and copy it using the best components you can find and you'll still have change out of £750.

He explains why his amps cost more than a small house here:-

[/quote]

That amp sounds horrid (I watched further videos) also that guy isn't very good on the guitar.

[quote name='Paul_C' post='476349' date='Apr 30 2009, 07:55 PM']my suspicion is that ebay is being used to announce that the amp is for sale, then a deal can be struck in private (for less than that crazy price, obviously) without paying ebay fees

this also goes for things like that "rare 4 string guitar" someone posted a link to the other day - they're not that dumb, they just use it as a way of getting more people to see the auction, and possibly bid[/quote]

Hmmm - not sure about that.

Unless eBay works differently in the States, the Seller pays extra fees for using a Buy It Now option, the amount being tied to the figure being asked.

A BIN of $57,000 will have generated a pretty huge fee all on its own.

[quote name='ahpook' post='499944' date='May 28 2009, 03:22 PM']"...electrons can survive in a vacuum tube, but can be eliminated or squashed in a lattice"

no wonder his amps are expensive if they can bend the laws of physics.

maybe they do warp drive too.[/quote]

I have to say (in all seriousness) that I assumed he was trying to be funny ... the whole clip appeared to be a tongue-in-cheek fake interview.