Why become a member? ×

Run a DI output, into an instrument input?

No sure where to post this so I'll start here.

The question is in the title. Can I? 

I know the DI level is lower, but its also different resistance so I not sure if that'll effect the sound at all.

Long story is I want to run my Ashdown ABM DI out into a cab sim, which is instrument level input..

Are you also using a real cab at the same time?

If so, use the amp's effects send -> cab sim -> external DI box.

If not, put the cab sim in the amp's effects loop and continue to use the amp's DI.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrixn1 said:

Are you also using a real cab at the same time?

If so, use the amp's effects send -> cab sim -> external DI box.

If not, put the cab sim in the amp's effects loop and continue to use the amp's DI.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I'll be using a cab. Wouldn't your suggestion put the cab sim back into the amp and then to the cab? This is what I'm trying to avoid.

If the Cab sim had a "thru" I guess that could go back to the amp... Good point.. 👍

I mean use only the effects send, without plugging anything back into the effects return (i.e. don't complete the loop).
This results in the signal being split: the original path remains, through the power section and real cab; and an additional path now, through the cab sim and external DI box.

This is how I would expect most amps to route in general, but check your specific manual/schematic.

• Like 1

On 05/05/2023 at 20:22, DaleASmith said:

Never thought that would work.

I assumed you would lose the signal to the power amp section if you interrupted it in the effects loop...

Nope, by far most amps will pass the signal from the preamp on to the power amp section of the amp if nothing is plugged into the Effects Return input, but while still putting out the preamp signal through the Effects Send output.

That however on the other hand also mean that you normally will be able to plug an external preamp into the Effects Return input, bypassing the amp's own preamp, only  using its poweramp section (that's what I do currently).

Some amp's Effects Loop doesn't work this way, but, as said, by far most does.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Nope, by far most amps will pass the signal from the preamp on to the power amp section of the amp if nothing is plugged into the Effects Return input, but while still putting out the preamp signal through the Effects Send output.

That however also mean that you normally will be able to plug an external preamp into the Effects Return input, bypassing the amp's own preamp.

I know this is getting side tracked, but how does the amp know?

What I mean is, if the signal goes direct to the power amp and also through the effects loop, surely you'd get both signals arriving at the power amp section? I not doubting what you're saying at all I just don't understand how it works.. 👍

1 hour ago, DaleASmith said:

I know this is getting side tracked, but how does the amp know?

What I mean is, if the signal goes direct to the power amp and also through the effects loop, surely you'd get both signals arriving at the power amp section? I not doubting what you're saying at all I just don't understand how it works.. 👍

You do know how a switch works right?

Or how a pedal only activates if a jack is plugged into the input jack socket of it?

Or how the battery of an active bass only is draining and the preamp switched on when there's a jack plugged into the bass output jack socket?

Technically this is done by using a stereo jack socket for a mono jack plug, using the connection/tap that normally would connect to the ring of a stereo jack plug to basically function as a switch instead.

In other words, the amp doesn't know anything, just like a switch doesn't know if it is on or off yet still does provide different electrical routing depending, It's really simple mechanical switching/electronics.

• Like 2

On 05/05/2023 at 19:22, DaleASmith said:

Never thought that would work.

I assumed you would lose the signal to the power amp section if you interrupted it in the effects loop...

It depends whether your amp has a serial effects loop or a parallel effects loop. If you do this with a serial loop, the result will be silence. If you do it with a parallel loop, the clean signal will still make it as far as the power amp.

You need to read the manual to find out what your amp does. Some amps, such as Markbass LM2, have an internal jumper which allows you to change the loop from serial to parallel.

On 06/05/2023 at 05:28, DaleASmith said:

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I'll be using a cab. Wouldn't your suggestion put the cab sim back into the amp and then to the cab? This is what I'm trying to avoid.

If the Cab sim had a "thru" I guess that could go back to the amp... Good point.. 👍

Have cab, fx send to sim to DI, unless you have one of the Markbass ones which need a little rejigging. Anything else that does a parallel blend fx loop which would put you back to plan A.

No have cab, same, or use amp DI with cab sim in fx loop.

With plan A it could still work if your amp DI has a bit of poke. Some are even switchable to line level.

It also depends on what sort of signal the cab sim unit is expecting. Instrument level you would be golden. Half arsed pedal line level, hit or miss. Full line level, dead in the water without heroic intervention.

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/05/2023 at 19:28, DaleASmith said:

Thanks for the reply.

Only if you plug the cab sim back into the Effect Return of the amp.

The Effects Send is essentially just a post preamp output (or in other words as preamp output).

• Like 1

On 07/05/2023 at 19:48, pete.young said:

It depends whether your amp has a serial effects loop or a parallel effects loop. If you do this with a serial loop, the result will be silence. If you do it with a parallel loop, the clean signal will still make it as far as the power amp.

You need to read the manual to find out what your amp does. Some amps, such as Markbass LM2, have an internal jumper which allows you to change the loop from serial to parallel.

Actually by far most serial effects loops will work too, the Effects Send essentially just working as a post preamp output (or in other words a preamp output) as long as you have nothing plugged into the Effects Return, and will only close the loop to the poweramp section if you plug into the Effects Return (that is if you plug a jack plug into the Effects Return socket with nothing connected the signal will be cut off from the preamp to the poweramp, but not if you only have plugged into the Effects Send).

As I wrote in a previous reply, before yours:

On 06/05/2023 at 17:40, Baloney Balderdash said:

That however on the other hand also mean that you normally will be able to plug an external preamp into the Effects Return input, bypassing the amp's own preamp, only  using its poweramp section.

• Like 1