Why become a member? ×

Recording off the mixer ?

fleabag

Our rhyth git is the band's mixer owner and operator, and although he thinks he knows how to run it,  he struggles most of the time.

So what he's trying to do is connect a Tascam portable recorder to the mixer  ( Soundcraft  LX7ii 24 Ch ) to record a rehearsal.

Problem one is the output he's using on the mixer is overloading the Tascam.  He cannot  turn the input gain down enough on the Tascam to stop it peaking.

Problem two is that  none of the reverb on vocals is being recorded.

On the desk there are record out phono sockets, which is what he's using to the Tascam.  Is there a better way ?   I thought Aux sends would be better  ( it was suggestion, i dont know about such stuff )  but he reckons Aux sends only give a dry signal, so wont use them.

PS we have a 6 channel headphone amp connected so we all practice under headphones

Edited by fleabag

I record with a Zoom H4n rather than a Tascam.

I always use a stereo 1/4" jack plugged into the Headphones out socket on the Mixer, splitting to two mono 1/4" jacks going into the H4n.

The Headphones socket should have an independent Level control, so you can trim down the signal to match what the Tascam wants to receive.

Having written that, I'd be astonished if the Tascam was overloading due to its own limitations ... it's far more likely to be user error. He's got something set to Mic Level instead of Line Level would be favourite.

• Like 3

The Tascam DR07x doesnt have 2 mono  1/4" jack inputs, just a stereo mini jack in.  I agree entirely that the problem is user error on the mixer, not the Tascam re the input peaking on the recorder.

The headphones socket is already in use for the 6 channel headphone amp we're using for everyone's headphones.  So we'd need to connect the Tascam to some other output.

He's probably right about the effects - looks to me that the effects return is going straight onto the Mix L and R busses so probably wouldn't appear in the Aux Sends or the Headphone output.

Don't think he's right about using 2TK though, as @Bigguy2017says that looks like an input.

If you're not running a PA off it why not record off the main outs? You'd need a lead with a pair of 6mm jacks going down to a stereo 3.5mm jack to plug into the recorder.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pete.young said:

He's probably right about the effects - looks to me that the effects return is going straight onto the Mix L and R busses so probably wouldn't appear in the Aux Sends or the Headphone output.

Don't think he's right about using 2TK though, as @Bigguy2017says that looks like an input.

If you're not running a PA off it why not record off the main outs? You'd need a lead with a pair of 6mm jacks going down to a stereo 3.5mm jack to plug into the recorder.

Yes, that sounds like an option.  I may put that to him , and i already have that 2 x 1/4"  jacks into 3.5mm jack, but he's a stubborn know it all, so he wouldnt use my cable, telling me he needs phonos ..

I dont know desks, and he's the only one that runs it, so we're stuck with what he does, mostly

Richard head  😀

Edited by fleabag

You're right, XLR into mini-jack, I misread that bit of the manual. Apologies. 'C' is a mono output, 'L and R will give you a stereo output.

Depending on whether you have any stereo effects in the main mix, a mono recording might be all you need. Personally I've found it's a much better idea for a live mix to put everything in the centre,.

Stubborn just called me and said that 2trk phono in pic above is switchable between Input and Output, and isn't just Input only.  Uh ?

Anyways,   he doesnt want to use the pair of XLR Main outs or Mono XLR out, cos it does something to something else on the desk .... blah blah.  Zzzzzzz

Apparently, he's now going try the spare channel on the headphone amp.  There's 5 of us and so we only use 5 channels, leaving channel 6 spare.

Just a single 1/4 jack to mininjack cable.  Lemon Squeezy

head.thumb.JPG.634f5db67e2db22df3891b87440f6870.JPG

I like puzzles like these, but I see that as I was typing it has now been solved :D

However, in the theoretical case that there were no spare channels on the headphone mixer, my idea was to send all channels to one of the mix groups, and record from the outs for that group.  This is a stereo-safe solution, as I wasn't sure if your outboard effects were stereo or mono.  And, you'd only need that 3.5mm stereo to 1/4" mono cable that you already have.

This does presuppose both mix groups aren't in use for something else, and the absence of obstinate rhythm guitarists.

• Like 1

I honestly couldn't tell ya  because when he's made his mind up that something will work, it will work. 8 times out of 10 it doesnt, but  suggestions from others just

fall on stoney ground. He's one of those people that rarely ask questions if he doesnt know, like me on here.  He just ploughs on and does his own thing. 

Dont get me wrong though, he's a good lad - enthusiastic about music, rehearses when he's ill, and a generous peep to his mates.  He's just so stubborn about tech stuff.

I dont care about asking when i dont know stuff, although you get lectures from BRX  :)

We'll find out in a couple of weeks, cos him and mrs stubborn are off to Cornwall in a few days for 2 weeks.

2 hours ago, fleabag said:

Stubborn just called me and said that 2trk phono in pic above is switchable between Input and Output, and isn't just Input only.  Uh ?

That's not how I read the manual:

"10 - 2TK LEVEL

The rotary control sets the level of the 2 Track Tape input, which is routed to the headphones, monitor outputs and meters, or directly to the Mix outputs by pressing the adjacent switch (12). These unbalanced inputs, on RCA phono connectors, are ideal to connect the playback of a tape machine for monitoring.

11 - 2TK REPLACES MIX OUTPUT!

This switch does what it says! When pressed the Mix output is switched to the 2 Track input and is an ideal way of feeding pre-show music to the main outputs in live applications without using up valuable input channels. For example, with the switch pressed and a CD connected and playing pre-show music, the engineer can be setting up channel levels, adjusting EQ, talking back to performers and monitoring any part of the mix (including final Mix) without affecting the sound to the audience. Releasing the switch instantly swaps the Mix Outputs back to the mixer and cuts off the CD.

CAUTION: Pressing this switch cuts off the normal Mix L/R signal and it should therefore NOT be used during live performance or recording"