Why become a member? ×

Reshaping headstock

Beedster

When wanted to reshape a Harley Benton HB-50 headstock to resemble a telebass I traced out the required shape in sharpie onto masking tape stuck to the headstock and my pal who has a better equipped toolbox than me used an angle grinder with a velcro sanding pad and various grades of abrasive disc to first get close to the line and then to finesse the shape. Then I did a bit of hand sanding to get a good finish.

headstock.thumb.jpg.d75578691a69ab43e53d8f93d1e187ad.jpg

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Like 9

43 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

headstock.thumb.jpg.d75578691a69ab43e53d8f93d1e187ad.jpg

9 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Agreed, that looks fab. Mind you, if someone said to me, "I can do that with my angle grinder," I might decline the kind offer and walk away surreptitiously. The things you can do with an angle grinder, who knew?

Is that the shape you're going for @Beedster?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Agreed, that looks fab. Mind you, if someone said to me, "I can do that with my angle grinder," I might decline the kind offer and walk away surreptitiously. The things you can do with an angle grinder, who knew?

Is that the shape you're going for @Beedster?

I'm keeping my own counsel on shape to ensure that when the bass emerges on the forum I can say "this is the 100% shape I was aiming for...." :) 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I'm keeping my own counsel on shape to ensure that when the bass emerges on the forum I can say "this is the 100% shape I was aiming for...." :) 

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

It will have a Fender-esque look

Ah, the Fender Whatevercaster. A fine, if lesser known, instrument

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Beedster said:

image.png.3197edc8f22bd0365a9d261001d20b93.png

IIRC, you have, or at least had, a bass fitting this description. It must be this that is destined for the toolshed for some 'reimagining'.

I feel the need to listen to Futurama and Sunburst Finish now; Crying to the sky, searching for a silver lining...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ezbass said:

IIRC, you have, or at least had, a bass fitting this description. It must be this that is destined for the toolshed for some 'reimagining'.

I feel the need to listen to Futurama and Sunburst Finish now; Crying to the sky, searching for a silver lining...

Yep, I have half of it, but I've tried a lot of Tele-headstocked necks and not got on with any of them, mostly too deep. I now have a standard headstock maple/maple neck that sings on the body in question, hence the thread. Body is below, it's going to be stripped back to natural and then blonded. Neck heel will be reshaped to fit the pocket. It's going to be a bloody lovely bass 👍

A330A917-532E-4D91-BCEB-49E0AF63BDB0_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.527eca342641b84db7c59bf97e6c3f41.jpeg

8 minutes ago, ezbass said:

The cover of Sunburst Finish had quite an effect on my 11-year old self at the time :) 

2 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Yep, I have half of it, but I've tried a lot of Tele-headstocked necks and not got on with any of them, mostly too deep. I now have a standard headstock maple/maple neck that sings on the body in question, hence the thread. Body is below, it's going to be stripped back to natural and then blonded. Neck heel will be reshaped to fit the pocket. It's going to be a bloody lovely bass 👍

Oh, I'm excited for you. The general description of the '51/'54 bass neck has always given me pause, even though I love the general aesthetic of those models.

2 minutes ago, Beedster said:

The cover of Sunburst Finish had quite an effect on my 11-year old self at the time :) 

I'm sure I don't know what you mean. ;) :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

Anyway, back to the question! Anyone used a spindle sander to fo this?

Not for this specific job but I have learned through experience that they can remove material very quickly. All too easy to remove more than you wanted to. This looks useful, though not UK based. Now found them in the UK, ToneTech.

http://www.luthiersfriend.com/robosander/robosander.html#robo3

Edited by 3below