Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Reshaping headstock

Beedster

15 minutes ago, 3below said:

Stating the obvious and borrowing a song title, careful with that spindle sander @Beedster. Ferocious beast, all too easy to convert vast amounts of wood into sawdust :). 

Wise words my friend, thank you.

Reminds me of the old truism about the double bass: "Each an every one of them is destined to become firewood sooner or later" :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Beedster said:

Wise words my friend, thank you.

Reminds me of the old truism about the double bass: "Each an every one of them is destined to become firewood sooner or later" :) 

I think that is because a DB is an accident waiting to happen just sitting there. DB was never meant to be strung up with steel strings. The ratio of wood to tension is kept marginal to leave it able to be picked up and still have some timbre.

On 18/10/2023 at 12:12, Richard R said:

I shall await with interest. 

This is the unnecessary weight that needs reducing. Needs to be sympathetic though, as it's a chunky MM style body.

20231018_120753.thumb.jpg.faeb97009f6e0f1e1a771c3b677ae057.jpg

Assuming that you don't want to go the sensible route and chop the headstock off entirely, an angled cut perpendicular to the left edge of the headstock between A and D, and putting the D around the "r" of Harley would save stopping and redrilling, assuming that there's sufficient room on the rear of the headstock to accommodate the smaller tuners.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

Assuming that you don't want to go the sensible route and chop the headstock off entirely, an angled cut perpendicular to the left edge of the headstock between A and D, and putting the D around the "r" of Harley would save stopping and redrilling, assuming that there's sufficient room on the rear of the headstock to accommodate the smaller tuners.

Headless would be good, but not for what I think I want to do with this one. Maybe when I do a build from scratch. 

The tuners on there have massive backplates, but the smaller ones on my other basses don't, so I think there will be space and  your idea would work well. 👍