Why become a member? ×

NBD: 1985 Tokai Jazz Sound TJB-55

Ritsugamesh

Purchased from Danny at Bass Japan Direct and waylaid in Germany due to labour strikes, this arrived safe and sound on my doorstep this morning. 

PXL_20230425_155303183.thumb.jpg.939416cd3325f19dec036664885886b7.jpg

PXL_20230425_155321225.thumb.jpg.0e9437ea1cea40aee69dd7963b05b3f4.jpg

PXL_20230425_155333718.thumb.jpg.211bf38aee44b7771f8d0692b1d9d8ad.jpg

PXL_20230425_155358628.thumb.jpg.5593251f0ab2539461305f446821d7bb.jpg

It's all original and the date is a close approximation, as with these sorts of instruments. It's somewhere between 83-85 based on the serial number. 

Small amount of setup required given it's week and change trotting the globe, and the low E intonation took some dialing in, but playing beautifully now at 1.75mm (as is my preference) and the pickups sound superb. It's perhaps a little difficult to spot in the photos, but there's a lovely sun tan effect that's happened on the headstock and neck, sending the white into a more cream colour. 

Definitely got the played-in feel that you'd expect something pushing 40 to have. I'm mostly just sad at how played-in I feel at only 30 😂

• Like 19
  • Haha 1

Lovely bass! Well made and great looking. 

1.75mm E if measured at the 17th would be too low for me, by all of 0.5mm lol. You must have good playing dynamics. But also means the bass has no setup issues, as you would expect from a well cared for quality, early to mid 80s Tokai. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wintoid said:

Nice bass.  What happened about customs?

There were customs charges unfortunately yes, came to 20% so if you did order you essentially need consider that in as a part of the package price. Still came out to cheaper than an MIM Fender these days, so I wasn't too fussed and Danny gave me quality estimate charges and made me clear and aware of everything. He was a pleasure to deal with for sure. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ritsugamesh said:

There were customs charges unfortunately yes, came to 20% so if you did order you essentially need consider that in as a part of the package price. Still came out to cheaper than an MIM Fender these days, so I wasn't too fussed and Danny gave me quality estimate charges and made me clear and aware of everything. He was a pleasure to deal with for sure. 

Thanks for the info, that's useful!

3 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Gold and white/cream would not be my first choice of colour scheme but that it gorgeous. Enjoy.

Wouldn't generally be mine either but I've recently joined a Funk band and this screamed Larry Graham so figured it had to be done! 

Just need the sequin guitar strap and I think I'm there, got the bass face down. 

larry-graham.thumb.jpg.37c5c3da4cf19fe8dadc4829fe0592cb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Paul C said:

I saw this.....slightly jealous 🙂 looks great. He briefly had a black one too. How's the painted neck? Never tried a bass with a neck finish like that. Cool bass 

Aye I nearly bought the black one when I saw it, let it get away and this came up so I knew I couldn't let it slip by! 

The painted neck feels absolutely fine to be honest, somewhere between a satin and gloss finish, though it's possible once I run it at a full gig I might change my mind. I do have another bass with a painted neck and that doesn't bother me, but I know many people get really turned off by it. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, NikNik said:

Nice bass. Interesting intonation on the E.

Aye took me a good minute to find the right spot for it. For some reason when I took the neck off to touch up the truss rod, upon putting it back the intonation specifically on the E was right out. All the other strings were note perfect still! The nut is perfectly fine, no catching, plenty of winds on the string, neck relief ideal and the action in the right spot, it just needed pulling much further forward than I anticipated to get it intonated at the 12th and across the board. Not sure why, but if it works it works! If anyone more savvy than me has additional info as to why only the E would be out of intonation like that, do let me know. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ritsugamesh said:

Aye took me a good minute to find the right spot for it. For some reason when I took the neck off to touch up the truss rod, upon putting it back the intonation specifically on the E was right out. All the other strings were note perfect still! The nut is perfectly fine, no catching, plenty of winds on the string, neck relief ideal and the action in the right spot, it just needed pulling much further forward than I anticipated to get it intonated at the 12th and across the board. Not sure why, but if it works it works! If anyone more savvy than me has additional info as to why only the E would be out of intonation like that, do let me know. 

Actually, I had that issue on an acoustic bass guitar. It did indeed turn out to be the string!

• 11 months later...

Just thought you may be interested to know (having traded with the OP for this lovely bass) that a new set of Bass Centre Elites 45-105 and the intonation is back to normal (so assuming it was some kind of issue with the string maybe?)

lovely bass and goes well with my mini collection of early 80s MIJ Squier/ESP/Westone/Yamahas

Posted (edited)

Ah that's good to hear, must have just been a duff string indeed! I'm honestly sad I gave it up haha.

Glad you're happy with it either way pal.

EDIT: And if you are thinking of selling, get in touch and I might nab it back! 😅

Edited by Ritsugamesh