Why become a member? ×

NBD Jack Casady

Skin Lewis

Bought a gold Epiphone Jack Casady 6 weeks ago from a local Basschatter. Needed a few things doing to it to make it suitable for me, and now it's ready to gig. First job was to turn the (asymmetrical) pickup the right way round. Next job was a full setup, but the standard bridge wasn't adjustable enough for saddle height. Luckily the classifieds here provided a new unopened Babicz bridge for it, at a considerable amount less than the new price. Fitted that, all good. A tiny bit of weight saving too. Changed the gold knobs for some black ones off an Epiphone Thunderbird to match the bridge and tuners. Removed the unnecessary pick guard (looks nicer I think). Main problem was the neck dive and balance - it matters a lot to me as I'm old and have a wrecked shoulder, so I fitted a set of black Gotoh Resolites. It's made all the difference, the standard tuners weigh in at 92g each, the Gotohs are 32g each, so a total saving of 240g on the headstock. A fresh set of Labella LTFs, and it's good to go. Lovely bass, nice neck, sounds wonderful, and records very well. 

IMG_0337.jpeg

IMG_0338.jpeg

• Like 23

Nice, I wish I used mine more, they sound great.

I also changed the tuners on mine to hipshot lites. Moved the strap button as well as didn't like how it balanced.

With the original bridge I was just about able to get the action good enough for me.

Strung mine with some nylon tape wounds and it sounds huge. The bass seems to sound great with most types of strings.

Enjoy.

IMG_20230422_090903_resized_20230422_090944532.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jd56hawk said:

Looks good with black hardware.

(For a second there, looked like black strings, too.)

I'd like it better if I could find a black pickup and surround, as fitted to the 20th anniversary, but they're almost impossible to find.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skin Lewis said:

I'd like it better if I could find a black pickup and surround, as fitted to the 20th anniversary, but they're almost impossible to find.

The black pickup has been used on several other finishes - white, blue royale and silverburst I'm pretty sure. Your biggest problem is that not many people mod these basses beyond changing tuners and bridge - not a lot of Lo-Z alternatives out there and what with the pickup being specific to this bass, a funny size and it all adds up to too much hassle for most folk to countenance mucking around in there.

• Like 1

Lost track of how many times I looked at that bass when it was up for sale and was so close to buying as it was just up the road from me! Now your rubbing my nose in it - congrats it’s a super cool looking bass. Great mods and I also think it looks better minus the pick guard.

16 hours ago, paddy109 said:

Lost track of how many times I looked at that bass when it was up for sale and was so close to buying as it was just up the road from me! Now your rubbing my nose in it - congrats it’s a super cool looking bass. Great mods and I also think it looks better minus the pick guard.

Sorry about that 😀 I dithered for many weeks too. Glad I went for it.

3 hours ago, Skin Lewis said:

Sorry about that 😀 I dithered for many weeks too. Glad I went for it.

The potential purchase caused a great deal of strife at home - hence it's now living with you.

Give me a shout if you decide to sell in the future?