Why become a member? ×

Ear Training Video!

Horizontalste

I too was told I was tone deaf by a music teacher whilst in primary school!

Age 7 or 8 I think, the opportunity came up for a few kids to learn violin & I jumped at it.

Had to audition for the teacher which basically involved her singing the major scale & me having to repeat it.

Had one shot at it before bluntly being told no because "you're tone deaf".

Doesn't sound like a big deal but I can tell you, she planted a belief that day that delayed my involvement with music & took a very long time to shake.

I'm by no means gifted & I have had to work hard to develop my ear (probably because of the aforementioned belief) but tone deaf? Nah!

Edited by Horizontalste
Pants spelling

1 minute ago, Horizontalste said:

I too was told I was tone deaf by a music teacher whilst in primary school!

Age 7 or 8 I think, the opportunity came up for a few kids to learn violin & I jumped at it.

Had to audition for the teacher which basically involved her singing the major scale & me having to repeat it.

Had one shot at it before bluntly being told no because "you're tone deaf".

Doesn't sound like a big deal but I can tell you, she planted a belief that day that delayed my involvement with music & took a very long time to shake.

I'm by no means gifted & I have had to work hard to develop my ear (probably because of the aforementioned belief) but tone deaf? Nah!

I was put off music as a subject at school too, the teacher was a really nasty, bitter and miserable sadistic type, shouldn't have been involved with kids under any circumstances. 

I made a deliberate point of making a horrible racket when forced to sing, as we all were, in front of the class.. The unlucky, (or unwise) ones who gave a decent-ish performance were conscripted with no refusal option into the "choir" run by this creep. 

Left me, I'm afraid to say, with a loathing of any sort of formal music education

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

An excellent video, thanks. I'll definitely be trying this, but my singing is notoriously inaccurate. I'm not tone deaf, I can hear it's not right, I just don't have consistent control.

So either my singing will improve or my playing will get worse, wish me luck. 🫰

• Like 1

On 24/04/2023 at 00:33, Waddo Soqable said:

I was put off music as a subject at school too, the teacher was a really nasty, bitter and miserable sadistic type, shouldn't have been involved with kids under any circumstances. 

I made a deliberate point of making a horrible racket when forced to sing, as we all were, in front of the class.. The unlucky, (or unwise) ones who gave a decent-ish performance were conscripted with no refusal option into the "choir" run by this creep. 

Left me, I'm afraid to say, with a loathing of any sort of formal music education

When I was 7 my Mum asked if I'd like to learn guitar. I eagerly accepted with visions of the Stones and Beatles clear in my mind. After months of 'Michael Row the Boat Ashore' and 'Edelweiss' and being told I had to learn that stuff if I wanted to play anything at all, I gave up and never touched another guitar til I was 19. So much time wasted which has always bugged me since.

• Like 1

had recorder lessens at school, no interest
Bought a guitar in my 20's and a friend tuned it to E and told me to barre the top 2 or 3 strings and taught me Blitzkrieg Bop, result, I got a tune out of it very quickly and got me interested.

I've passed this advice onto several people over the years they've all carried on playing