Why become a member? ×

Fascinating NAMM Video from Devon Basses

merello

Hes now doing a push in pull out pre and pickup swap with no soldering. Literally just put in most high end preamps and I mean literally just pull them out and put another one in. Innovation he is doing and its probably a game changer for years to come. But his basses are expensive so it will take years for these ideas to filter down to the lesser expensive basses. Devon has always been an innovator. I used to own one of his early j5s and it was killer. no doubt his modern basses are way better.

• Like 2

That sparkly pinkish one is pretty.

Most of the rest of it is pretty standard, if uncommon. I wish him best of luck with the modular preamp, but I don't see it being a big seller.

With the battery block, I've done similar in the past with portable test gear but not basses.

Hmm.It is easy to be negative but at least they are thinking about their offerings. The pink sparkly one looks a bit “DaisyRocks”.

Zero fret. I had guitars in the 69s with zero frets and they are better than a nut. If you think about it it is obvious. The magnetic electronics cover did not look like a good fit 

Some nice looking basses though.

I didnt see anything specifically new in the video but they are nice looking basses, i like the plug in preamp thing in the other mention, although it restricts you to ones already made tthat way and as it is patented there isnt much incentive for other manufacturers to do it, so I can't see it really taking off.

I already have the rolled edges, zero fret and magnetic back plate here, I like the recessed jacks, I have seen them before at the bass bash, but wouldn't work well for me as there isn't enough room to get a wireless in.

There is always quite a crowded market of custom makers of FSOs, but there is always room for more.

15 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

and as it is patented there isnt much incentive for other manufacturers to do it

They may have a patent, but it wouldn't be hard to beat as it's a standard feature in many, many electronics applications for decades. The only defensible item might be a copyright on the form factor if it is unique, and not n off the shelf package.