Why become a member? ×

Foolish question !

nilorius

Hi! I own Aguilar th500 with 2 Hartke hydrive HD112 cabs. My question is about cabs - on the backside they have a tweeter 3 way option. I don't really understand the response to the sound. I have always set them off, which means likely the tweeter is off? Anyway there are 2 more options 10 db high and 10 db low. How does it work switching it with my head eq options? It sounds easy, but i just feel i don't understand something. Please give some advises. The sound i like and put on my head is mids very high, lows a bit and highs a bit down.

Not a foolish question! So, basically the tweeter switch is going to determine the upper frequency response of your speaker cab. Just use the setting that gives you the upper frequency response you like.

Basically, off means the 12" gets it all and the upper frequencies will start to fall off dramatically at around 2k. Switching the tweeter on will dramatically increase the high frequency response (up to 17k according to the specs!). However, tweeters can be a little harsh sounding (especially piezos), so it's a matter of choice.

Somethings to bear in mind... passive pickups on bass have very little response above 4k, so 17k will just amplify noise, or a violin at the dusty end maybe! 

Your tweeter settings will determine how much effect your amp eq will have. Tweeter off and the 12" will do most of the treble roll off for you without using the amp eq. Tweeter on and you'll have to pay more attention to the top end eq on your amp, although that's where the -6db setting might help to get things from sounding too harsh.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nilorius said:

...Hartke hydrive HD112...

With the tweeter switch set to 'Off', it's not doing anything at all. With the switch set to 'On', the tweeter is giving all that it's capable of. With the switch set to '-6db', the tweeter is giving 6db (6 decibels...) less than if it was 'On', which reduces the treble output of the cab. As mentioned above, the best setting is the one you like the best. It's best judged from a little way in front of the cab, preferably where the audience will hear the cab, as you can't hear it properly when standing just in front. Hope this helps. :friends:

• Like 2

Like DAD says about listening while 'not standing just in front', tweeters are very directional, unlike your 12" speaker, so if you switch the tweeter on you may end up focussing a lot of HF sound somewhere you can't hear it, but other people can. Step away from the speaker a bit and listen at wherever the tweeter is pointing to appreciate what it may be doing.

PS This is why some cabs can be tilted - you won't hear the output of your tweeter if it is pointing at your knees

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I've got a couple of Fender V2 cabs with a similar set up, I have the tweeter off but tbh it's makes bugger all difference whether they're on or off, a tweeter on a bass cab seems like a waste of time to me ymmv

I mentioned the other day, some scrotes in another band (who I let use my amp & cab at a gig we did) blew the tweeter in my cab, luckily I couldn't have cared less !

I agree I can't see the point of a tweeter in a big bass cab 😁

• Like 3

Thanks for Your all descriptions. Now I understand. Yesterday i was checking does 3 positions on my cabs and didn't hear the difference at all. Because they stand on the floor and sound at my knees and i was standing a 1 meter away from them. Finally i think i will get back to my old situation - off, because i dodn't need and like those high frequencies at all. Thanks again.

• Thanks 1

On 08/04/2023 at 18:18, Waddo Soqable said:

I mentioned the other day, some scrotes in another band (who I let use my amp & cab at a gig we did) blew the tweeter in my cab, luckily I couldn't have cared less !

I agree I can't see the point of a tweeter in a big bass cab 😁

maybe when slapping or the high transients from some effects like a distortion pedal? but yeah for me personally i doubt i would miss tweeters although my ebs combo has them loaded.

Also add the fact that after a certain age (which seems to be the average age of people here 🤔🤦🏻‍♂️😂), you hear absolutely nothing above 8 kHz...

FIrst thing to do is have an hearing check and you'll be fixed (but not fixed at the same time) about that tweeter you can't hear.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Also add the fact that after a certain age (which seems to be the average age of people here 🤔🤦🏻‍♂️😂), you hear absolutely nothing above 8 kHz...

FIrst thing to do is have an hearing check and you'll be fixed (but not fixed at the same time) about that tweeter you can't hear.

this is true, I wouldn't be without my hearing aids, as an experiment the other day I used my Fender V2 (2 x 8) to play music through via my Hi Fi, while I won't be replacing my normal speakers with it the tweeter made a big difference then, but I can't tell any difference when playing my bass though it, (even with my hearing aids in 😄)