Why become a member? ×

Beginners bow and rosin tips please

JPJ

So as a recent re-entrant into the world of EUB (NS NXT), the next step on my journey is to add arco to my repertoire. Obviously, bass bows come in many flavours (and prices) but anyone got any recommendations of a good beginners bow (French style)? I recognise that you get what you pay for, but as this will be most likely for personal gratification, for at least the first couple of years, I’m just looking for something that will support a beginner. Same question about rosin, all recommendations greatly received.  

Carbon Fibre over wood at your end of the market + at the very least 2 lessons from an experienced teacher. Bowing is THE most difficult thing about playing DB. Drawing a good sound needs lots of things to be in the right place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Remember, the bow is the basses "amplifier". 

If you've always plucked or fingered a bass the note can only have ever at first sustained then it will ALWAYS decay.. . 

With a bow you enter the other 50% of the world! The world of crescendo... 

As others have suggested go to a teacher just for a few basic lessons. 

Arco is where its at! Pizz gets you about 10% of what a bass can REALLY do. 

(mind you I've been doing it for 40yrs and still learn every time I pick the bloody thing up!) 

Oh, BTW, either go for Nymans or Pops (don't let them dry out, they go "off" when left out). Learn how to apply rosin - it really isn't how you think you apply it! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Awesome. 

Congratulations. 

Get that rosin slapped on and do some long (frog to tip) slow heavy bowing. 

I used to shout "you've paid for the bow, you may as well use all of it!" 

Strongly reccomend getting a couple of lessons just to get you started. 

Top tip - after using the Pops seal it up in a zip-lock bag to stop it drying out, and keep it upright! 😂 

• Like 1

Been in your position, its difficult but rewarding. I found myself getting frustrated and was told by a violin player I know "Don't be daft, that stuff takes lifetimes to master!"  which made me feel a bit better about it.

Enjoy! 

p.s. I've ended up trying half a dozen or so diff rosins to find one that I like

I would agree with those recommending getting a teacher to get started with bowing. If you're going 'French' route, then grip will be similar to what I use on cello, which is NOT the same as how a violinist or violist holds and uses a bow. There are a lot of aspects to bowing and having someone get your basic technique off to a good start will save you a great deal of trouble down the line. 

• Like 1