Why become a member? ×

Wal Pedal

miles'tone

No I haven't misspelled Wah!

Just wondering if there is a pedal that does the low pass filter thing that you get on Wal basses? I'm after that clear quacky funk sound.

Apologies to all you pedal experts if this is a daft question, I've never been a pedal guy but I'm starting to feel the need! 😄 

49 minutes ago, lidl e said:

@Passinwind makes a pedal that does what the Wal electronics basically do.

So does Josh Broughton, and you don't have to put his together yourself !  https://www.broughtonaudio.com/product-page/resonant-filter-equalizer

I'm in the process of doing a Github page for my open source designs, which are currently undergoing substantial revision to make them more pedal friendly, but for the moment the most thorough treatment can be found here:  https://www.talkbass.com/wiki/pw3b-lpf-open-source-onboard-preamp/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Passinwind said:

So does Josh Broughton, and you don't have to put his together yourself !  https://www.broughtonaudio.com/product-page/resonant-filter-equalizer

I'm in the process of doing a Github page for my open source designs, which are currently undergoing substantial revision to make them more pedal friendly, but for the moment the most thorough treatment can be found here:  https://www.talkbass.com/wiki/pw3b-lpf-open-source-onboard-preamp/

Amazing thread! Thanks, but building one is well beyond me unfortunately. I applaud your abilities though! If you ever make some more pedals to your designs please hit me up. I'll have one!

The Broughton pedal (Thanks for the link) is out of stock and I'd rather send my cash to a fellow Basschatter 😉

Any plans to build more?

Edited by miles'tone
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, lidl e said:

You can get onboard preamps that do it. I just put one in my jazz bass already fitted to a jazz plate

https://lusithanddevices.com/product/nfp-single-jazzplate/

No modification needed.

Thanks. I don't own or get on with Jazz basses unfortunately.

I prefer the idea of being able to do the filter thing with whatever bass I'm playing.

Great idea though and ta v much for the heads up. 👍 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, miles'tone said:

Thanks. I don't own or get on with Jazz basses unfortunately.

I prefer the idea of being able to do the filter thing with whatever bass I'm playing.

Great idea though and ta v much for the heads up. 👍 

I wonder if he'd put in in an enclosure for you. 

Might be worth asking.  He does make an amazing compressor pedal. He's a great guy. 

Might be too busy for custom work though.

• Like 1

Just now, TheGreek said:

Just checked the website - fella has some interesting products - has anybody tried them? If they work why don't we rip out our EQs and imitate Wals for a few hundred quid?

The lusithand stuff?

Ive got his compressor which is fantastic and one of the jazzplates and it is the absolute business. 

13 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Please tell us more...

Yoir manxwho is building that wal-ish bass in build diaries is using a lusithand onboard dual NFP preamp for his build.

I posted recently about it here. This is what i wrote about the jazzplate:

So i used to own a wal, and the thing i really loved aboutnit was the electronics.  It never occured to me that there were other vendors making the same style which turned out to be a folter based preamp. I suppose i never made the connection.  I figured it was just Wal's thing. 

So i deep dove into the idea of getting one. 

Went with the lusithand as they had the dropin plate. JTEX makes a cool looking one out of canada.

Woth the lusithand, i went with the single NFP for my jazz as the double you need to rout.

It dropped in perfectly and the sound is, to me, perfect.

As opposed to preamps which basically just boost your tone, i find this preamp actually helps you dial in a smoothness and thickness otherwise unattainable in an active pre.

My recent switch to flats also seems to have really taken to this preamp. In 25years of playing i have never turned up the tone knob past 20-30%. I was easily at 80-90% last night punching through and sounding incredible.

I honestly can't believe it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They replied:

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately I don't sell the preamp in  pedal format but it should be very easy for someone who would be interested in doing that project to use our Single NFP and mount it into an enclosure, instead of an instrument.

Kind regards,

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, miles'tone said:

Amazing thread! Thanks, but building one is well beyond me unfortunately. I applaud your abilities though! If you ever make some more pedals to your designs please hit me up. I'll have one!

The Broughton pedal (Thanks for the link) is out of stock and I'd rather send my cash to a fellow Basschatter 😉

Any plans to build more?

@Chienmortbb will be able to do that for you sooner or later. On the continent @itu may be willing to do some as well. I'm actually just putting the finishing touches on a more DIY friendly pedal design layout, my own builds use surface mount parts and tend to scare off most home builders. I have no financial interest in any of it, and I've only sold around a dozen pedals over the last 7 years, nearly all to local musician friends.  This one is for upright bass and will be done in the next day or two:

URB_WTHPF.jpg.48bb085c161684f44789c13cec8b1195.jpg

And yeah, one could build pretty much any of the usual commercial suspects into a pedal enclosure fairly easily.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Isn't the fact that you have a separate filter for each pickup and then blend between the two an essential part of the Wal sound?

Yes.  Plus I think each pickup pole is individually wired to the pre. And the pickups are big. 

22 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Isn't the fact that you have a separate filter for each pickup and then blend between the two an essential part of the Wal sound?

Yes, and not only that, the pickups plus the preamp play most of the part on the Wal sound. The pickups have individual humbuckers for each string and the preamp combines these humbuckers into their designated Filters. It's the combination of those things, plus, body construction (mainly the neck) and pickups placement, that make Wal, well, Wal.

The closest you can get, electronically wise, is to use the multicoil pickups with the coils properly wired together with a preamp, like the Lusithand double nfp special, which combines the individual humbuckers, like a Wal does, into the filter preamps.