Why become a member? ×

Passive ear protection for gigs & rehearsals?

Horizontalste

14 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I'm the same! But I don't think I've got hearing damage, I've had tests done and my hearing is fine... In my case I'm investigating whether it's some other condition to do with how my brain interprets and reacts to things...

I think you're absolutely right. Tinnitus can fool the brain so it interprets stimuli in a different way (apparently, based on what I've read).

There's no reason this wouldn't be the case with other causes.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, to begin with, I'm 67 with a 35db notch from 2.5 to about 4.5 k per my last test. Most of that loss is due to my miss-spent youth in loud bands. (I'm sure none of you folks understand that). I have hearing aids now but carry ear protection (custom fit) to any practice, jam or show to protect what I have left.

I have found older folks who can get a good sound without diming a Marshall, and with in-ears monitors and PA the way it they are now, very rarely have the need to turn up past moderate volumes. I do have small, loud amps and speakers, if needed, but just don't deal with higher volume folks.

Please take care of your hearing. Of course, some ear protection is better than others and many of them just plug your ears and prevent accurate hearing, so do your research before you buy or rule it out based on "ear plugs".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I played with a guitarist on the weekend who is very deaf. Apparently years ago he had one volume, extremely loud! He didn't protect his hearing then and still isn't today! He's still gigging but when working out songs gets the chords wrong, because he can't hear the records in enough detail!

These days I'm meeting lots of older players who are prime examples of the need to protect your hearing before you have any issues.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

This is a great thread and very apt for me. 

At 42 and 25 years of playing and gigging, I have bad tinnitus and struggle with conversations in loud environments. 

So yesterday I had an appointment with a private audiologist. 

I’m waiting for a copy of the report but generally my hearing is ok. However, there is quite a dip in the frequencies that speech is in (can’t remember the numbers). 

Hence part of my struggle. 

As part of the consultation I’m trying some eye watering expensive hearing aids!

They are amazing but I’m clearly not at the stage where I need to invest.

So I decided to get some proper ear protection for rehearsals, gigging, and going to gigs. 

Damage may already be done but I’m going to do what I can from now on. 

Never got on with budget plugs (too much muffling) and often didn’t bother with them, even when sat in my pocket. 

So definitely put the ACS’s on my list. 

Thanks for this great thread, more important than any d*ck swinging gear based content. 😂

• Like 1

I read this thread recently and on the back of it I bought some ACS off the shelf 16db plugs because they were only a tenner, to sit between the 10db and 20db plugs I already have. To my surprise the ACS plugs give better clarity than my 10dbs from another brand, and I've started using them as my basic. So ACS seem to have got the filters just right for musicians, to my mind.

Thats two of us then, and not a thing "ordinary" folk kinda talk about or understand. Ive had the same problem..started in my early late 30's ...Hypersensitive to just about anything and everything, big struggle living in the modern world..

The only plugs I can gaurantee work for me nowdays are those awful purple +30db industrial ones which pretty well block out all noise....albeit at the same time making me look like a martian or something...but it has to be done. Even practising my cello I have to wear some ER20's..

Luckily Ive managed to deal with the light thing by using prescription reactalights...but noisy kids, babies, motor transport, public places people in general....haha ..has me running to the nearest public library!

• Like 1

Just in the process of refreshing my hearing protection set up.

Booked in for new impressions of my ears for another set of ACS Custom plugs.

I anticipate having the 17db filters in these and I'll have the 20db ones on hand from my previous set.

Ordered some new non-custom reusable 20db plugs for use at work, which I'll put in as I arrive at the workshop and then augment with my over-ear defenders when the really noisy machines start.

Ideally I'd like some new over-ear defenders too as I've never been convinced by the protection offered by the 3M ones I have despite their claims and reviews (I feel the protection drops off at the higher frequencies, which is the inverse of what you want).

As stated above there is no price too high for all this

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nothingman said:

This is a great thread and very apt for me. 

At 42 and 25 years of playing and gigging, I have bad tinnitus and struggle with conversations in loud environments. 

So yesterday I had an appointment with a private audiologist. 

I’m waiting for a copy of the report but generally my hearing is ok. However, there is quite a dip in the frequencies that speech is in (can’t remember the numbers). 

Hence part of my struggle. 

As part of the consultation I’m trying some eye watering expensive hearing aids!

They are amazing but I’m clearly not at the stage where I need to invest.

So I decided to get some proper ear protection for rehearsals, gigging, and going to gigs. 

Damage may already be done but I’m going to do what I can from now on. 

Never got on with budget plugs (too much muffling) and often didn’t bother with them, even when sat in my pocket. 

So definitely put the ACS’s on my list. 

Thanks for this great thread, more important than any d*ck swinging gear based content. 😂

Hope my tone doesn't come across as too overbearing, but make sure having ACS's on your list means making a call and booking an appointment for Impressions tomorrow 😀

It can take a few weeks for the plugs to be made and there will be a delay in getting an impression appointment.

I know the £150+ depending on what options you go for is a bit of a hit, but you will not think about it again after you have used them a few times.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woodwind said:

Hope my tone doesn't come across as too overbearing, but make sure having ACS's on your list means making a call and booking an appointment for Impressions tomorrow 😀

It can take a few weeks for the plugs to be made and there will be a delay in getting an impression appointment.

I know the £150+ depending on what options you go for is a bit of a hit, but you will not think about it again after you have used them a few times.

I was just about the ask this based of your other post. 

How do you go about getting impressions done? Sorry if that’s a dense questions. 

I don’t see a couple of hundred quid too much of hot for ear protection. It’s a savvy investment. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nothingman said:

I was just about the ask this based of your other post. 

How do you go about getting impressions done? Sorry if that’s a dense questions. 

I don’t see a couple of hundred quid too much of hot for ear protection. It’s a savvy investment. 

Lots of audioligists will do the impressions. I used Boots hearing care cos those are the local ones to me. See my post earlier for top tips as to details of what to do. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Nothingman said:

Not a dense question at all!

Yes I'm sure your current audiologist will be able to do this, but there are plenty of other places dotted around the country.

The ACS site has a dealer finder -

https://www.acscustom.com/uk/how-to-buy/how-to-buy-uk

I was fortunate to get my last set through the Musicians Hearing Service scheme as all my income at the time came from music related activities.

https://www.musicianshearingservices.co.uk/what-we-do/musicians-hearing-health-scheme/

This time round I'm going to the ACS London office.

Have a good peruse of the ACS site as there are options your audiologist may not be aware of.

For example you can have the plugs linked with a cord (very, very useful) and with my next set I'll have them made with the left and right plugs in different, contrasting colours; so in a rush, on a darkened stage with intermittent colourful lighting I will be able to instantly tell which is which.

Edited by Woodwind
Clarity
  • Like 1

Over  the years I've had 2 sets of moulds. They recommend you make new impressions periodically because your ear shape can change over time. Both times at local Boots branches.

The second time they refused to make the moulds because I had too much wax in one ear. I had to get  that sorted then they went ahead.

I still carry the old moulds as a backup.

• Like 1