Why become a member? ×

TI Flats on a precision

Reggaebass

I finally got around to fitting a set of these to one of my precision’s that had labella LTF’s on, first impressions are they feel like the same tension which is nice as most of my basses have the labella’s, they don’t feel as smooth but nothing really noticeable like rounds which I don’t like, sound wise they seem to have a lot of mids especially the E and A compared to the D and G, but definitely not lacking in the lows , for what I play I’ve rolled the tone knob right down and the mids come through nicely , I’ve got another set now to try on one of my jazzes, overall they are really cool 

• Like 5

As said in the other thread, I am really loving the TIs. I may have been unlucky with my set of LTF, or more likely it a matter of taste, but I found that each strings was producing quite a different tone and I did not like it much. E extremely thumpy, maybe even not enough mids for my taste, G a bit tinny to my ears. It all improved as they broke in - and even more after I treated the D and the G with Eucerine cream! I liked them but I wasn't fully satisfied. I eventually moved on to strings with unbalanced tension to get a fatter G (eg GHS 45-95, which feel as soft as the LTFs except for the G. I still have to put my head around what I think of them, or GHS 55-105, which sound amazing but are hard work).

With the TIs, I do not get any of this problems. Obviously, the E is not as thumpy as in other flats, but the G is certainly not tinny. Still they can thump if played in the right place and with the right touch (a "relaxed" touch, I find). And if I play hard near the bridge I get a proper funky snap, which is great to be able to do with flats

Edited by Paolo85
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Paolo85 said:

Still they can thump if played in the right place and with the right touch (a "relaxed" touch, I find

Yeah I found this too, I play with a fairly light touch anyway but moving closer to the neck made them sound pretty good 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, alyctes said:

This is not something I'd heard of.  How does it work?

Somebody in another forum suggested that if you want your new flats sound like very old flats you can leave them soaking in eucerine cream overnight. I tried a couple of times and it works. I cannot say if the result is better or worse than playing them heavily for a year. I suppose, if at all different, it would be a matter of taste anyway

• Like 1

I have a set on my Jazz, they suit it very well. Brighter than LTFs, with similar tension (maybe a bit less). Plenty of growl and honk, plus thump with a sponge. I've got another new set on it's way, although I'll probably put them on the Jazz and put the settled in ones on the Precision to see if they suit. 

• Like 1

TI flats are my favourite strings. Once you have used them for a while it's hard to enjoy playing anything else! I liked the LTF strings also, but were a bit too mellow for me.  TI's just seem to work so well  with my Jazz and Precision basses , they have a certain mid range thing going on that sits so well in a mix.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, skychaserhigh said:

TI flats are my favourite strings. Once you have used them for a while it's hard to enjoy playing anything else! I liked the LTF strings also, but were a bit too mellow for me.  TI's just seem to work so well  with my Jazz and Precision basses , they have a certain mid range thing going on that sits so well in a mix.

My thoughts exactly.  I have them on all mine.

• Like 1