Why become a member? ×

Noise gate cheat?

YouMa

I started using a noise gate and it has really cleaned up my playing. I play a lot of precise jazz funk type stuff. Am I cheating have loads of people been cheating? Tbh I never use a compressor but thinking I might get one now. Its been a bit of a revelation tbh.

• Like 1

Why would a noise gate be cheating but a bit of foam or one of those 'bass wraps' (I think that's the name) would be fine? 

There's no commercial recording where the bass is uncompressed. It'd be silly to deny yourself any advantage in creating the sounds you're after.

• Like 3

This is the second such post ive seen on this forum related to pedals and cheating the other being about compressors, and it baffles me! I mean 100% there are arguments for against each, like the loss of dynamics blah blah but if the end result to the people listening/paying to see me is more consistent and means on the night and focus on the show, surely its a win win haha if its cheating im happy to be a cheating son of a gun till I drop dead, feel free to join me, ill be the dude with a noise gate and a compressor always on seeya there 🤘