Why become a member? ×

SOLD (But now up for resale by buyer!) - '62 RI Fender Precision (Japanese) (1988)

AM1

Hi

I am selling this fantastic bass, simply for the reason that it is too good to use at any of the hell-holes we play in.

Whilst it's interesting having punters trying to join us on stage and even one trying to tune my bass!! - I'd rather not see a cracking bass meet an untimely end!

I have a much cheaper P-Bass for gigging.

It is a real shame for this great example of a 62 RI to not be used in the manner it deserves!

This is a 1988 -1989 Fender Precision Made in Japan (MIJ) 1962 re-issue, which was one of the highly in-demand Japanese native market basses constructed by Fender themselves - not one of the models licenced by Fender, to be crafted in Japan (CIJ) basses. These basses were crafted to American specification and were of such high-quality that they were banned from being exported.

This particular bass is a stunning, pristine example from that era, being the re-issue of the classic 1962 model. The bass is a 3 colour sunburst with rosewood neck and tortoise shell pick guard and has the strap lock on the back of the headstock.

The bass is in excellent condition. There are a few age related scratches as one would expect from an instrument of this age, but no damage as such.

The neck is simply outstanding and a joy to play, with that classic punchy Precision sound. The bass has a vintage look about it but is still in beautiful condition.

These basses do not appear that often for sale and there is a reason for that. They are essentially a fraction of the price of a US equivalent, but produce the same sound, excellent build quality and investment potential.

Please note that the bass has a DiMarzio pickup and the tone is superb - this bass has to be played to be believed, the sound is unbelievably punchy.

Plays and sounds like a dream but far too good to be used in the dives we play in.

So, reluctantly, it needs a new home.

I can post or buyer can collect in London.

Price is £400 + postage.

Pics to follow.

Edited by AM1

[quote name='AM1' post='473457' date='Apr 27 2009, 03:13 PM']This is a 1988 -1989 Fender Precision Made in Japan (MIJ) 1962 re-issue, which was one of the highly in-demand Japanese native market basses constructed by Fender themselves - not one of the models licenced by Fender, to be crafted in Japan (CIJ) basses. These basses were crafted to American specification and were of such high-quality that they were banned from being exported.[/quote]

I always understood the situation to be that Fender has never had manufacturing facilities in Japan, but licensed to a consortium consisting of Yamano and Kanda Shokai. This consortium appointed FujiGen to manufacture instruments, under a contract which stipulated FujiGen's exclusivity to use the Made in Japan mark. Circa '92, when Dyna were awarded a standalone manufacturing contract the Crafted in Japan mark appeared, the MIJ continuing until circa '96 when Dyna and Tokai took over all manufacturing (although returning in recent years, under a new contract with FujiGen). As for exporting, again, I always understood the situation to be that this was the subject of contractual stipulations, and that FujiGen was allowed to export. Circa '84, after CBS sold Fender, FujiGen instruments were imported in the US and Europe. Dyna was also allowed to export while Tokai was not.

[quote name='noelk27' post='473568' date='Apr 27 2009, 06:05 PM']I always understood the situation to be that Fender has never had manufacturing facilities in Japan, but licensed to a consortium consisting of Yamano and Kanda Shokai. This consortium appointed FujiGen to manufacture instruments, under a contract which stipulated FujiGen's exclusivity to use the Made in Japan mark. Circa '92, when Dyna were awarded a standalone manufacturing contract the Crafted in Japan mark appeared, the MIJ continuing until circa '96 when Dyna and Tokai took over all manufacturing (although returning in recent years, under a new contract with FujiGen). As for exporting, again, I always understood the situation to be that this was the subject of contractual stipulations, and that FujiGen was allowed to export. Circa '84, after CBS sold Fender, FujiGen instruments were imported in the US and Europe. Dyna was also allowed to export while Tokai was not.[/quote]

Hiya Noel

Thanks for the interesting information. I am interested in this, where did you elicit this information from?

My information is from a Fender history book, in which it was expressly stated that Fender disallowed export of instruments labelled MIJ.

[quote name='noelk27' post='473568' date='Apr 27 2009, 06:05 PM']I always understood the situation to be that Fender has never had manufacturing facilities in Japan, but licensed to a consortium consisting of Yamano and Kanda Shokai. This consortium appointed FujiGen to manufacture instruments, under a contract which stipulated FujiGen's exclusivity to use the Made in Japan mark. Circa '92, when Dyna were awarded a standalone manufacturing contract the Crafted in Japan mark appeared, the MIJ continuing until circa '96 when Dyna and Tokai took over all manufacturing (although returning in recent years, under a new contract with FujiGen). As for exporting, again, I always understood the situation to be that this was the subject of contractual stipulations, and that FujiGen was allowed to export. Circa '84, after CBS sold Fender, FujiGen instruments were imported in the US and Europe. Dyna was also allowed to export while Tokai was not.[/quote]

splutter :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='473643' date='Apr 27 2009, 07:52 PM']Irrespective of the above, lovely bass. MIJ and CIJ Fenders are bl**dy good. Good luck with the sale![/quote]

Hi Clarky, cheers!

As a fellow punk player, you'll know what I mean about some less than salubrious venues :)

This bass deserves some bass love! I love it but I vowed not to have basses sat doing nothing and if it's not being gigged, it can't stay!

Someone else can do it more justice!

Beautiful Precision sound....far too beautiful to get trashed in a sh*t-hole!

The FrankenP is earning it's keep :rolleyes:

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='473660' date='Apr 27 2009, 08:10 PM']I know you told me this bass was nice, but............ Bloody hell![/quote]

I told you bass lust would ensue :)

You are welcome to have a noodle on this deeply joyous bass if you're in London anytime soon. I might even manage to leave you some choccie biccies but don't count on it!

PS - as long as you don't play any of that jazz nonsense or the Police will be called for crimes against music! :rolleyes:

Hi, that's reflection, if you still want a pic I will see what I can do when I get a chance.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='473833' date='Apr 27 2009, 10:59 PM']Could you give us a photo of the top edge of the body? From the front shot it looks like there's a lot of scratches there but it's hard to tell if they're just reflections.

I appreciate that a photo from that angle unfettered by reflections is going to be tricky. Sorry.[/quote]

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='473833' date='Apr 27 2009, 10:59 PM']These basses do not appear that often for sale and there is a reason for that. They are essentially a fraction of the price of a US equivalent, but produce the same sound, excellent build quality and investment potential.[/quote]

Que ?.........but arent there loads of MIJs from this era in the UK ? Or am I missing something ? I knew a man who had six (no names mentioned !). After the JV era the electrics were'nt considered to be up to USA standards, hence I guess the Dimarzios. It looks a nice basss with a lovely sunburst , but am I the only one who thinks those 80's cream p/u covers on Dimarzios dont match anything ?

Yes Im probably the only one...........

Good luck with the sale

Edited by loweringthetone

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='473919' date='Apr 28 2009, 04:39 AM']Er... I don't remember saying that ^^[/quote]

Your memory is not at fault. You didn't say that.

That's a weird one... :rolleyes: and (no offence intended) while well-meaning, is not [i]entirely[/i] helpful to the OP's sale thread. :)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='loweringthetone' post='473866' date='Apr 27 2009, 11:58 PM']Que ?.........but arent there loads of MIJs from this era in the UK ? Or am I missing something ?[/quote]

They do not appear for REsale often simply because they are often "keeper" basses - the only reason I am in fact selling is I simply cannot do this bass the justice it deserves and gathering dust while another bass is gigged is not ideal. Look through the for sale section here and ebay, 62 RI does not often come up for resale, comparatively speaking.

[quote name='loweringthetone' post='473866' date='Apr 27 2009, 11:58 PM']After the JV era the electrics were'nt considered to be up to USA standards, hence I guess the Dimarzios.[/quote]

I am interested in Fender history, so I'd be most appreciative if you could qualify your comment regarding the electrics. What, specifically, in the electrics, at component level, was not considered to be up to USA standards and by whom? My understanding is that the 62 RI basses made under the remit of Fender Japan were manufactured to USA specifications.

This is genuine interest on my part so I am interested in any further information you can provide.

Just to respond specifically to your point about the DiMarzio pickup, Fender did not necessarily fit the hottest pickup possible at the time of build, but that is not just a post-JV era strategy, nor is it specific to Fender Japan, meaning that it is not uncommon for owners to retro-fit a hotter pickup. I had considered swapping the DiMarzio for a Kent Armstrong pickup but decided against it. The existing sound is stunning.

Cheers
AM

Edited by AM1

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='474272' date='Apr 28 2009, 03:36 PM']I have a DiMarzio in my 71 Pre (in avatar) which was there when I got it. Great pickup, totally recommend.[/quote]

Lovely bass!

Nice to see another member of the white pickup club!

:)

[quote name='tombboy' post='474291' date='Apr 28 2009, 04:11 PM']Lovely..... nay, LOVELY bass AM1. If I didn't have my eyes on something else, I'd be all over this like swine flu![/quote]

Hehe!

How's the gardening going, better hurry up and finish it before the swine flu kicks in! :)

Yes, this bass is beautiful, it needs some bass love!!

[quote name='tombboy' post='474358' date='Apr 28 2009, 04:57 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=47290"]SLOW!!![/url] :)[/quote]

I know of a way that you can avoid the gardening, it is to buy my lovely P-Bass then instead of chopping wood, you can be [s]rubbing[/s] polishing it.

Oh dear. That just sounds so wrong!

[quote name='DrVet' post='478786' date='May 4 2009, 09:58 AM']Hi man,

can U tell what's the serial for it?[/quote]

Hi

Serial number is I026741.

Edited by AM1