Why become a member? ×

how much to refret a fretless

Musicman666

I have an aria Cardinal (32" scale) that had been defretted a long while back before it was mine, I had it refretted with stainless fretwire and I think it was under 150 quid, definitely under 200., that was about 3 years ago so i'd expect it to be a bit higher now.

i'd definitely suggest andyjr1515 for this, he build me a custom 5 string and his workmanship is excellent (an his charges very reasonable)

Matt

• Like 1

As somebody who just traded their fretless bass for a fretted of the same model I would say that you should consider this option (trading) or possibly "do a Jack" ( @Happy Jack) and get another neck. 

Firstly, you won't have to pay what feels like a lot of money for what seems like not a lot of work (luthiers please don't jump down my throat) and secondly you get to let somebody else experience playing fretless bass. If you choose to keep the bass, buying a second neck means that you get to enjoy a favourite bass in another way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

As somebody who just traded their fretless bass for a fretted of the same model I would say that you should consider this option (trading) or possibly "do a Jack" ( @Happy Jack) and get another neck. 

Firstly, you won't have to pay what feels like a lot of money for what seems like not a lot of work (luthiers please don't jump down my throat) and secondly you get to let somebody else experience playing fretless bass. If you choose to keep the bass, buying a second neck means that you get to enjoy a favourite bass in another way.

110% the best advice 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

This is very good advice, I only had my bass fretted as it had been fretted from the factory and it was a year of birth bass that I had bought very cheap (with the original paperwork and hard case) so even with the fretting cost it was very good value, I found that as it was a different scale to every other bass I own I was struggling with playing in tune, I'm going to get enother fretless at some point but it will have to be the same scale as my main bass. 

• Like 1

On 07/03/2023 at 09:44, Ralf1e said:

As above. Trading is a good idea and sound advice. What is your bass and what area are you in.

Maybe someone on here has what you want and likes fretless as well as fretted as I do.

had a bit of a shock coming back on all the replies to this thread (thanks guys!!)  because i had no notifications on the bell???  

the bass is a road weary wal mkii shedua 4 string and i have just dropped it into wal ... i just needed a heads up as im not sure what i will be quoted but im sure it's not going to be on the low end, it needs some other work done too which they will have to do as it probably involves custom parts but the refret is just an option, i was hoping the fact it started life fretted with the grooves not touched just filled might make it an easy job, i know the luthier did it with a refret in mind.. i never got along with the rosewood as a fretless board.

still waiting for paul to get back to me ...looking at his apparent setup, ie one man and a dog i think it might be a while but i'm not that rushed, quite pleased that he could be the one doing the refret budget willing of course.

• Like 1