Why become a member? ×

Passive, Active, Pre-amps.....and strings....

Undertone

Couple of questions people.

My amp (Eden, Trace) has Passive and Active bass inputs. If I run a passive (Precision/Jazz) through a Sadowsky pre-amp (SBP) and into the amp (in-line), should I use the Active amp input? (which I'd use if the pre-amp were built into the bass).   My Tonehammer-500 only has 1 input - how is it treating my signal with & without the SBP?

I saw some dialogue regarding "high tension strings". I've not heard explicitly of this before but have certainly noticed when test playing basses (all 34" scale and Fender derivatives to various degrees of abstraction) some string sets have been taut (I prefer), others floppier. Are there such things as high tension strings?  Or is it a matter of tautness as compensation for gauge?

Finally, I want to try some black tapewound strings on a precision. Any particularly recommended brands to try or avoid?

Thanks.

Active/Passive - it depends. If you're using the preamp in a very subtle, low-gain sort of way then you may find the Passive input is fine. If you're cranking the preamp up high, then deffo go Active. Trust your ears, try both, see which works.

Strings which you (and a lot of us too) describe as "floppy" are probably better described as more compliant.

https://www.liutaiomottola.com/myth/perception.htm

The feel of different brands & types of strings can vary hugely, and what the player looks for in those strings varies even more.

This is why God invented BassBashes.

Edited by Happy Jack

General speaking the active and passive inputs on an amp are related to the level of signal they can handle. Passive output basses are not going to have a 'hot' signal, whereas an active preamp could. So, a passive amp input is geared for a lower signal and more gain, an active input will cope with a higher level signal (which might otherwise overload the passive input).

Also, there could be a difference in impedence. A passive bass generally will have an output impedence of 10k, but an active preamp might have a lower impedence (the Sadowsky is 1k whereas EMG stick to 10k even though it's active and most line drivers will be 600ohms). Worth checking the specs on your amp to see if the inputs have different impedences. So long as the output impedence of the bass is less than the input impedence on your amp you're ok, so 1k into 10k is good. The other way around is bad and will act as a filter, so output 10k impedence into input 1k is not a good idea.

Most amps and pedals will have a high impedence, say 1Mohms, to make sure everything going in will be below that.

Strings.... for a certain scale length and string diameter there will be a corresponding tension that's needed for a particular pitch, however, the construction of the string will determine it's flexibility. 

I have a set of the Galli Synthesis flats, these have a nylon core and consequently are the most 'flexible strings I have played. A lot of flats can be quite stiff so worth asking around, I prefer flexible strings hence the Galli's and TI flats.

As for nylon, I find the D'addario tapewounds much brighter than the LaBella's so depends on your preference. 

I've been using both the Rotosound and Fender tapewounds. 

They are both lighter gauges than the Galli and Labella tapewounds. 

I can't fault either - if you are after a more soulful,  more Motown sounded palette these should suit you down to a t.

If you want to go 5string with either brand you may need to get yourself a single D'Addario from  Amazon. 

Thanks all. Very interesting link to string tension perception. OK. so the active/passive inputs are about what the circuit will handle, rather than (as I'd though) an amount of signal boosting rendered to make it useful to the preamp. Useful impedance info too - thanks.

I'm aware of the tension/pitch/cross-section relationship, but interesting to note the construction/geometry effect dependence and this is kind of what I was asking about. I prefer a less compliant, higher than average tension feel (but no so much that I can't bend a bit).

Thanks for the recommendations which I'll now look into (as Labella's appear to be signif. pricier).

52 minutes ago, Undertone said:

OK. so the active/passive inputs are about what the circuit will handle, rather than (as I'd though) an amount of signal boosting rendered to make it useful to the preamp. Useful impedance info too - thanks.

To a certain extent the boosting thing is correct, it's just a different way of looking at it. The preamp will have an ideal signal level and passive inputs normally have more gain than an active input to try and achieve that. And that's where you can get a problem with a 'hot' signal  where the gain applied exceeds the headroom and causes clipping. Impedences often get forgotten about but is a crucial part of the circuit. 

Input of an amp, one or two choices. You can try both. If the gain adjustment is sufficient, use whichever you find functional. It is not uncommon to put an extra resistance to the other input. Even though the inputs are named as active and passive, the bass output can be high or low, no matter the bass electronics. Please try.

Bass output impedance (Z) can be high or low, but most amp inputs can digest both. Sometimes piezo basses are complicated to the amp input. This may be handled with a buffer, an extra preamp, or an effect acting as a buffer.

The strings can be built with thinner or thicker core. That affects the tension. There are not too many materials available, therefore the proportions of the different parts change the string tension. Or simply the diameter: try 30-90, and some set that starts from 50. From twang to plunk.

2 hours ago, Boodang said:

To a certain extent the boosting thing is correct, it's just a different way of looking at it. The preamp will have an ideal signal level and passive inputs normally have more gain than an active input to try and achieve that. And that's where you can get a problem with a 'hot' signal  where the gain applied exceeds the headroom and causes clipping. Impedences often get forgotten about but is a crucial part of the circuit. 

This. For more info search for "gain staging"

5 hours ago, tauzero said:

I always use the passive input as my active basses have the same output level as my passive basses. How many active basses have outputs which are hugely greater than passives?

Famously the Kubicki basses have a high output level (so not many!) but these days most onboard preamps have sensible output signal levels.