Why become a member? ×

Zoom B2 Four

MarshallBTB

Mine turned up today. Very happy with it so far, but i haven’t plugged a bass in yet. Im really pleased it runs off bus power, works perfectly with my phone. The app might get more use that i first thought, at least for setting things up. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Mine turned up today. Very happy with it so far, but i haven’t plugged a bass in yet. Im really pleased it runs off bus power, works perfectly with my phone. The app might get more use that i first thought, at least for setting things up. 

Do you mean it runs off USB C?

8 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Do you mean it runs off USB C?

Yeah. The iphone or ipad powers it. No need to hook the PSU up. Both my latest devices have USB-C.  It even runs off a power bank, although ive not tested it fully like this. 

37 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yeah. The iphone or ipad powers it. No need to hook the PSU up. Both my latest devices have USB-C.  It even runs off a power bank, although ive not tested it fully like this. 

I have older iPhone and iPad but I have the camera adaptor that allows the same thing. I will try it shortly. 

I'm very interested in hearing whether B6 and B2-4 users are finding the additional DSP on their multis is a definite step up in "sound" from the B1-4?

One aspect that might be noticeable is that some of my effects patches on my B1-4 are quite noisy, but I deal with that by using the ZNR (noise gate) sim as standard across most of my patches. If the ZNR is not needed on the B2-4 and B6 then that, in itself, is a good sign!

Only had a short play with my B2 but yeah, it’s noisy and does seem to need the ZNR, although maybe i just need to gain stage a bit better. This was also quite loud on good headphones which would reproduce the noise quite well. I’m  not sure I’d need it through an amp. Can’t try that out for 2 weeks. 
I did find  the BDDI sounds a bit more solid compared to the B1-four’s version, but that might just be down to a few things. 
I’ll definitely just use the BDDI for now, maybe in two slots. One for normal and one with a bit more drive. That way the tone won’t change much. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello, about app, I contacted Zoom about the B2 Four Android and Windows software, and there is no information on availability. We need to show our necessity, so if every B2 Four onwer contact them requesting it, we will have some change to edit our patches more easily.

Ricardo

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ricardo Urio said:

Hello, about app, I contacted Zoom about the B2 Four Android and Windows software, and there is no information on availability. We need to show our necessity, so if every B2 Four onwer contact them requesting it, we will have some change to edit our patches more easily.

Ricardo

I have neither Android or can be bothered with Windows. So I’m good 😂

Yes its rattles and no its not noisy. I don't have ZNR on any patch and I cannot hear noise on a good pair of headphones. However if you use extreme drives etc (which I don't) you may hear something that I don't.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Yes its rattles and no its not noisy. I don't have ZNR on any patch and I cannot hear noise on a good pair of headphones. However if you use extreme drives etc (which I don't) you may hear something that I don't.

Interesting. I’m sending mine back as i can’t believe it’s normal, but if i get another that does it I’ll live with it. It’s coming from inside behind the main board. I can’t be bothered to take that out and check. 

In was going through the various pre amps and amps and noticed noise on all of them in their default state. I then tested my B1-four and that was about the same. None really deal breakers, and possible to fix even without the NR, but more than i ever heard with my Helix. 

4 hours ago, Ricardo Urio said:

Ricardo

Not really. You've already bought it. If you said "I want to get it, but there's no app", that might be different.

11 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

In was going through the various pre amps and amps and noticed noise on all of them in their default state. I then tested my B1-four and that was about the same. None really deal breakers, and possible to fix even without the NR, but more than i ever heard with my Helix. 

I always found the B1-Four to be quite noisy, noisier than the HX FX in general, but not so noisy you would actually hear it when gigging. Never even thought of the noise reduction as I assumed that was for external noise.

20 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I have neither Android or can be bothered with Windows. So I’m good 😂

Dave, first of all, I'm sorry because I interrupted. My suggestion is because after I bought the B2 I could see how easy it would be to create and edit patches using software instead of using the extremely limited screen and buttons. The B1 Four and many other multi-effects pedals already have these tools that make our lives easier. Almost 72% of the world's cell phones don't use iOS, and luckily you can edit using your phone and don't have to worry about it.

16 hours ago, Machines said:

Not really. You've already bought it. If you said "I want to get it, but there's no app", that might be different.

Ok. I suppose you have all your devices (TV, cellphone, computer) with updates turned off.

8 minutes ago, Ricardo Urio said:

Dave, first of all, I'm sorry because I interrupted. My suggestion is because after I bought the B2 I could see how easy it would be to create and edit patches using software instead of using the extremely limited screen and buttons. The B1 Four and many other multi-effects pedals already have these tools that make our lives easier. Almost 72% of the world's cell phones don't use iOS, and luckily you can edit using your phone and don't have to worry about it.

Ok. I suppose you have all your devices (TV, cellphone, computer) with updates turned off.

I was sort of joking, and i hope you do get your editor as i can see it’s quite handy for those that want to do that sort of thing. 
Although i have it and i expect to use it occasionally, it wouldn’t bother me one bit if the software didn’t exist. I’ve not really used editors with any of the devices that have them. I’m more hands on with the device. 

2 hours ago, Ricardo Urio said:

They are automatic, but I would use the device without them appearing also. I buy tech for it's current ability, more than it's potential. 

• Like 1

On 12/04/2024 at 20:27, TRBboy said:

Update on the power supply: finally received my power supply from Thomann..... And they've just sent me a bog standard EU>UK travel adaptor... 🤦 Not impressed, but I'll just carry on using the power supply over already been using. 

Also having a problem with my B2 Four.... I just can't decide which drive sound I like best! 😅 Oh the first-world problems caused by multi effects! 🤣 Back to the drawing board shortly to try to make some decisions. I'm not as in love with the dark drive as I expected to be, although I do like the dark preamp for my Crunch sound 👌

This is putting me off ordering from Europe again. Ive got a few things that have those awful 2 pin PSU’s, and while im sure they work just as well, the extra bulk is just not welcome. Ive replaced the last two items i got from Thomanns with 3 pin version's off Amazon, but cant be bothered doing that again. Shame though as i cant really find another in stock in the UK for the price i want to pay. 

My B2-Four has gone back as i believe it’s not 100% (not faulty as such, but with something moving around inside id worry something could go wrong). 

You know, i might go for the G2 Four instead. Much cheaper, doesnt have the extra bulk of the DI section (which i will never use). I dont need amp sims as such, but they all sound pretty close on the whole so any one will pretty much do the job ( i feel the same about the Bass versions). It does have a Bassman amp anyway so that would be fine. 

Food for thought……

Edited by dave_bass5

On 03/04/2024 at 10:43, Al Krow said:

Can the Zoom G2-4 be hacked to use with bass? And / or do the patches work reasonably well on bass anyway?

The compact form factor is appealing and Andertons have these available now for £129, which seems very good value.

7 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

You know, i might go for the G2 Four instead. Much cheaper, doesn't have the extra bulk of the DI section (which i will never use). I don't need amp sims as such, but they all sound pretty close on the whole so any one will pretty much do the job ( i feel the same about the Bass versions). It does have a Bassman amp anyway so that would be fine. 

Food for thought……

I'd had the exact same thought! 

19 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

...in fact, because of your post @dave_bass5, I've just I've seen a mint used G2-4 on Reverb at a "let's pay you to it try out" price (just £55 inc. P&P.) and couldn't resist it!

Wow, thats cheap. Let me know how it goes.

Ive had another thought about this though. My main reason in getting the B2-Four originally was a cheap way of getting a computer interface, and a BDDI. If i didnt want the BDDI i wouldn't hessite, but as the G2-four lacks this im now not so sure, as its the one FX i really do need……or maybe i dont. 

16 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Haha. Ive just ordered the B2-Four from Amazon. Got it on a 5 month plan so no big outlay, and it’s a UK version. It will be here tomorrow. 

Damn you @dave_bass5, having missed one here on BC I've been 'forced' to do the same; it is projected to land tomorrow.

Perhaps we can compare notes :) 

Sam x

Edited by SamIAm
  • Haha 1