Why become a member? ×

Pedals in front of all valve amp

BassAdder60

• BassAdder60 changed the title to Pedals in front of all valve amp

6895F9C4-C1A9-4DA2-A517-A37A8FC19B64.thumb.jpeg.5e0f1d0cb76a97ec25ae695826cd5900.jpeg

I'm running a variety of dirt and shaping into the Marshall VBA400. These were the house cabs but sounded great.

25067611-97EA-468B-8DB2-412A11A1A0AB.thumb.jpeg.bf2e672a336f16cc88d45b89bde4ba03.jpeg

This is my board. The Longsword is my main overdrive dirt tone, the Model FeT doesn't add much grit but just stacks perfectly. The Capo is just an incredible tone shaper and DI, it also adds more grit when needed 😂

Its a little overkill tbh, I'll probably remove the Model fet at some point. Don't need any other effects but I'd maybe replace with a small volume pedal perhaps. 

I don’t really use pedals as I really like the sound from the valve amps, but I do have a few, obviously it looks safe to do this but I’ve always been a bit nervous thinking it would damage the valves or something, can it cause any issues?

25 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I don’t really use pedals as I really like the sound from the valve amps, but I do have a few, obviously it looks safe to do this but I’ve always been a bit nervous thinking it would damage the valves or something, can it cause any issues?

I’m mostly the same preferring the all valve tone however ..

Putting a compressor in front of my CTM100 was a good move.

Im still not sure about the TC Spark Booster in front as the amp has enough natural grit 

• Like 1

Whatever pedals I feel a need for, at the moment, compressor, GR2, Octabvre, mosfet overdrive (not all at the same time 😄) As long as you don’t use a massive amount of a boost pedal with the amp turned all the way up I’ve never heard of a problem. 
Guitarists do it as a matter of fact 

• Like 1

I don't own any tube amps currently, well unless you count preamps, but back when I did own a 60W all tube Ampeg B-15S from 1968, which I very much regret being stupid enough to sell at some point, I used a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, as my only pedal, for high gain distortion.

Today my setup is  "amp-less"  and my pedal setup is rather expansive and complex, the Metal Zone however is still part of my main high gain setup (though now with a low gain overdrive stacked into it and then blended in parallel with a Turbo RAT clone).

But if I still had the Ampeg I would still have had used more or less the exact same expansive pedal setup as I do currently, except from the NUX Melvin Lee Davis signature preamp, that also functions as a DI and IR cab sim loader, which basically is what I use in place of an actual amp currently (well my EHX Black Finger, tube driven optical compressor, is also a huge part of my current "amp-less" tone, but it would most likely still be an always on effect even if I had been using a tube amp).

I actually happens to in fact be rather satisfied with my current "amp-less" tone, but damn I wish I hadn't been that stupid selling my 1968 Ampeg B-15S, such a legendary, amazing looking, and not least amazing sounding amp.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

1968 Ampeg B-15S

I really like those, when Andy Baxter was local to me he used to have quite a few of the 1960s ones and I never really paid much attention to them at the time, kinda wish I’d bought one now as they were a lot cheaper then 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I really like those, when Andy Baxter was local to me he used to have quite a few of the 1960s ones and I never really paid much attention to them at the time, kinda wish I’d bought one now as they were a lot cheaper then 

I got mine ridiculously cheap from a local 2nd hand music gear shop back around the mid 90's.

I think 2.500 Danish Kroner was what I paid back then, which equals approximately 300 British Pound.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

Generally just my normal pedals with my Trace Elliot V6. It is very much a clean machine and doesn't really do furry preamp drive and owing to the power of the amp the power amp saturation only kicks in at a volume level more suited to use as a form of torture. 

So usually I use a couple of drive pedals, a compressor and a delay which I never use but is still on my board because I used it a lot in a previous band a decade ago and have never taken it off my board.