Why become a member? ×

Cabs with casters

greentext

Does anyone else turn there cabs with casters on there sides so you can feel the bass a bit more? 

As much as I love the convenience of casters on my cab, I feel like i lose a lot of the 'feel' of the bass, pushing air, when its only connection to the stage/floor is the 4 wheels.

Edited by greentext

9 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Thats because you're not an objective listener.  Bring a mate round to do a blind test.  Dont tell him / let him see which way you've set the cab and play through it, first on the castors, then off the castors.

good plan, imma do that at band practice next time!

• Like 1

Depending on the layout of the cabinet, placing it on its side may move the woofer significantly closer to the floor. That can have a difference to the sound. Similarly if there's a tweeter with different vertical and horizontal dispersion patterns.

Edited by chyc

On 20/02/2023 at 22:24, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

It makes no difference. The connection to the floor which gives boundary loading isn't mechanical, it's acoustical.

Is the OP perhaps getting a different bass response because the driver is closer to the floor when the cab is on its side?

Or does that make no difference either?  

I've wondered myself what the effect of raising or lowering my cab is (Barefaced Super Compact 1x12), and if sitting it 'landscape' or 'portrait' makes any difference.

7 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

For years I always removed anything between the cab and the floor. After getting a 2x18 that was immovable without I indeed found there was not the blindest bit of difference. Years of shifting utterly wasted.

Get some decent 10cm casters with brakes and don't look back.

By the same token isolation doesn't work either. Isolation can reduce the vibrating of a cab atop a soft floor, which is vibrating as the result of acoustic resonance excited by the speaker output. What it can't do is reduce the vibration of the floor, as that's acoustically sourced, not mechanically.

http://ethanwiner.com/speaker_isolation.htm

https://www.bassgearmag.com/submit-article-bass-amplifier-isolation/