Why become a member? ×

Double bass luthier in South West required. Any ideas?

spyder

I'm near Ivybridge and I've had the same problem now that James Powell is retiring. Tried Martin Penning but got the same replay as above. I did eventually find Hannah Sedgwick in Penzance.  I'm taking mine down in a couple of weeks to have some work down. I'll report back after, if you want.

If you have any luck with Devon Strings or Bristol Violin let us know, I never got round to phoning them after finding Hannah. It would be good to know other options.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, flytim said:

I'm near Ivybridge and I've had the same problem now that James Powell is retiring. Tried Martin Penning but got the same replay as above. I did eventually find Hannah Sedgwick in Penzance.  I'm taking mine down in a couple of weeks to have some work down. I'll report back after, if you want.

If you have any luck with Devon Strings or Bristol Violin let us know, I never got round to phoning them after finding Hannah. It would be good to know other options.

Thank you.

Please keep me informed on how Hannah work out.

I've recently had a new adjustable bridge, sound post and set up completed by Ben Taylor who's based in Southampton. He was great to deal with and I'm very happy with the work completed.

https://www.taylorviolins.co.uk/about

Edit: Excuse my rubbish geography guess that's more south than south west.....

Edited by Gardenerben
Shameful geography...
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/02/2023 at 13:59, TheRev said:

Have you tried Devon Strings Workshop in Exeter? They don't specifically mention double bass setups, but they do everything else.

Sent Devon strings in Exeter an email and they have not responded. Very poor.

On 12/02/2023 at 08:18, spyder said:

Thank you.

Please keep me informed on how Hannah work out.

Went to Hannah Sedgewick in Penzance yesterday and it's a thumbs up  from me. Had adjusters put on my bridge and she also rubbed down a slight buzz on the fingerboard and also suggested that the sound post was probably a bit too far forward so she adjusted that. The bass now sounds so much better for the soundpost move. A lot more growl in pizz and a more singing tone under the bow. All done in an hour and half while I went and had a coffee and a much needed haircut.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm in the Cornwall, albeit the other end to Penzance, and everywhere is a long way from here. Very interesting to have Hannah Sedgewick brought to my attention as my Gedo bass, bought new ten years ago, has never had a real set up. I lowered the nut slots and have an adjustable bridge so it plays nicely but I think the sound post is too tight as it now has a slight hump in the back where it sits. 

Although I'm happy with how it plays I'm sure a set up would improve it somewhat. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...