Why become a member? ×

NBD '70s Eros short scale EB-3 in honey

Paul S

This popped up on eBay the other day - I was too weak to resist and, despite having a few strong words with myself, I bought it.  For a good price, too, especially considering this is one of the better early copies, a Matsumoku, I think.  It arrived today and I am pleased to see the pics on eBay showed it to be on worse condition than it is in the flesh.  Pretty light at 3.5kg on the nose.  I've not done anything much to it other than remove the bridge cover, lower the action a touch and have a quick noodle but already it has some interesting tones with the dead roundwounds that are on it.  Not sure when I will get around to taking it to bits for a clean/proper set up and check under the hood to see what the pickups are but to my ears it has a different tone to an Antoria EB-3 shorty I had a year or so ago.  Bridge pup in particular is a lot stronger.  Don't think the mudbucker is a sidewinder, doesn't sound bassy enough, but it is a nice tone, especially when both are selected.  early days but I am inclined to leave this one unmolested, maybe get one of those 'treble/bass' surrounds for the toggle switch.  Intonation on the 2 point bridge seems OK as is, strangely.  Good enough, anyway.  So that's saved me £150 on a new bridge already! :D 

Holding picture from the eBay listing until I take some more tomorrow but as this is officially the NBD I thought I'd start the nthread :) 

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 24

11 minutes ago, Paul S said:

...but I am inclined to leave this one unmolested

s-l1600.jpg

Aah, wise words. 

I wish that I was aware of them before I decided to "improve  " my Kawai because the volume of the bridge pickup was lower than the neck pup. :facepalm::facepalm:

• Sad 2

Very nice - had a sneaking bit of GAS for one of these for a while. Think you're right it'll be a Matsumoku, headstock & trc look mid-70s to me, with any luck the pickups will have date codes. Earlier versions have offset position dots, open-book headstock & arrowhead trc, & Maxon 8-pole single-coil bridge pickup. This one looks like a proper humbucker which is probably why it's a bit gutsier than the neck unit, which is probably the usual single-coil. Not sure but I don't think there ever was a proper MIJ Mudbucker.

The Model 1980 in this Aria blurb looks like a close relative:

https://vintagejapanguitars.com/1971-aria-catalogue/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Very nice - had a sneaking bit of GAS for one of these for a while. Think you're right it'll be a Matsumoku, headstock & trc look mid-70s to me, with any luck the pickups will have date codes. Earlier versions have offset position dots, open-book headstock & arrowhead trc, & Maxon 8-pole single-coil bridge pickup. This one looks like a proper humbucker which is probably why it's a bit gutsier than the neck unit, which is probably the usual single-coil. Not sure but I don't think there ever was a proper MIJ Mudbucker.

The Model 1980 in this Aria blurb looks like a close relative:

https://vintagejapanguitars.com/1971-aria-catalogue/

That is pretty close!  I picked up the tells from one of our conversations, Jon :)   The neck plate says 'Steel Adjustable Neck Made in Japan 764511.  Does that number mean anything? (edit)  I think possibly 1976?

Edited by Paul S

3 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Really cool new bass!! 

There's quite a variation in the colour across the pics and it looks a lot more orangey in your shots. In my head the shot of the rear control cavity is closer to what it looks like in real life?

Kind of half way between the two :D  It does seem to depend on the light, though.  I imagine on a bright sunny day it would look honey coloured, on a dull day this darker caramel.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Paul S said:

That is pretty close!  I picked up the tells from one of our conversations, Jon :)   The neck plate says 'Steel Adjustable Neck Made in Japan 764511.  Does that number mean anything? (edit)  I think possibly 1976?

Steel Adjustable Neck plates were exclusive to Matsumoku, unfortunately the serials on these plates seem to be random so if it is '76 (and it might well be) it's probably coincidental. Your best bet will be pickup codes, which give a to-the-day date, so tend to be a good guide to the whole instrument. So hopefully they'll be date-coded!

From what I've seen the plastic covers on 70s MIJs had what looks like some sort of adhesive brown paper rather than the peel-off film you get these days - looks like what's left on yours is the remnants of the glue. It'd probably clean off with something like acetone, but test a bit inside first to make sure it doesn't eat the plastic!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 30/01/2023 at 18:17, Paul S said:

This popped up on eBay the other day - I was too weak to resist and, despite having a few strong words with myself, I bought it.  For a good price, too, especially considering this is one of the better early copies, a Matsumoku, I think.  It arrived today and I am pleased to see the pics on eBay showed it to be on worse condition than it is in the flesh.  Pretty light at 3.5kg on the nose.  I've not done anything much to it other than remove the bridge cover, lower the action a touch and have a quick noodle but already it has some interesting tones with the dead roundwounds that are on it.  Not sure when I will get around to taking it to bits for a clean/proper set up and check under the hood to see what the pickups are but to my ears it has a different tone to an Antoria EB-3 shorty I had a year or so ago.  Bridge pup in particular is a lot stronger.  Don't think the mudbucker is a sidewinder, doesn't sound bassy enough, but it is a nice tone, especially when both are selected.  early days but I am inclined to leave this one unmolested, maybe get one of those 'treble/bass' surrounds for the toggle switch.  Intonation on the 2 point bridge seems OK as is, strangely.  Good enough, anyway.  So that's saved me £150 on a new bridge already! :D 

Holding picture from the eBay listing until I take some more tomorrow but as this is officially the NBD I thought I'd start the nthread :) 

s-l1600.jpg

Great find, congrats, looks fab. If the tonal range with the existing PUPs is satisfactory then just leave well alone,  put your favourite strings on and enjoy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

Great find, congrats, looks fab. If the tonal range with the existing PUPs is satisfactory then just leave well alone,  put your favourite strings on and enjoy.

You have read my mind - I do believe that is exactly what I am going to do.  I had another bonding session today and find the blend of both pups to be something rather splendid.   And I have a set of TI flats on their way :)   I had the house to myself this morning so played it through my usual gig set up.  Pushed with a little clean drive it became a lively beast :D 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Took this to bits today, gave it a clean, lemon oil on the board, and strung it with my favoured TI Flats.  Little tweak of the truss rod.  Absolutely loving this, bags of character, with a clean boost and slight push of the gain it is a  beast, the bridge humbucker starts to break up nicely and when both pups are on it is rather yum.

Serial numbers on the pickups show they were made (thanks Jon @Bassassin for the decoding lesson) 17th and 18th of August 1976.

I was surprised to find a pcb in the control cavity, proper job!  Cover cleaned up nicely after a soak in soapy water.  It doesn't actually look any different to before as it wasn't that mucky.

Need to play it with the band, see how it sits.

IMG_20230212_093908.jpg

IMG_20230212_095126.jpg

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 12/02/2023 at 11:48, Paul S said:

Need to play it with the band, see how it sits.

First rehearsal with the band today since then.  I do believe this is going to be my new regular bass for gigging.  Of my Gibson flavoured basses I prefer the tone of this to both my Gibson LP Jnr DC and my Epi T-Bird Classic Pro; it is certainly easier to play than the latter.  Despite my love of all things Precision, this sits with the band mix in a different way and just sounds perfect for the stuff we play.  Both pickups combine to give a tone that is rather special.  One of the tuners is a bit stiff but I can live with that.  The bridge is not very adjustable but good enough and certainly more comfy on my palm than the 3 pointer.  Very happy chappy :D 

• Like 4

There is something really great about an SG in a blues 3 piece, especially if your guitarist is playing a strat. The huge low end really fills a space where the strat is so glassy. 

I really loved playing mine but then it didn't sit so well when we got keys in, then I found a P just cuts through and works a little better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

There is something really great about an SG in a blues 3 piece, especially if your guitarist is playing a strat. The huge low end really fills a space where the strat is so glassy. 

I really loved playing mine but then it didn't sit so well when we got keys in, then I found a P just cuts through and works a little better.

The Maxon neck pickup isn't a mudbucker but it is certainly fat - with a lovely hollow quality up the neck a bit.  The bridge pickup is quite a powerful humbucker - much more presence than one I had in an Antoria EB-3 before, which was a weedy thing.  On their own, neither is quite right but the combo of the two in the middle position is fabulous - greater than the sum of the parts.  It keeps the hollow-fatness from the neck pup but with some bite and break up from the bridge pup when given a clean boost.  Plus I just love the whole beaten up 47 years worth of mojo-ness yet solid where it matters.  :) 

Yes, guitarist uses a strat mainly but for a few songs now uses a Flying V - we've started to do a couple of Lonnie Mack tunes and he likes to get the sound right for those -  and I love it.  Not as fat as a LP but the neck pup is still really creamy with the tone rolled off a bit.  We dusted off 'Sunshine Of Your Love', which we haven't played for a couple of years, and it sounded spot on with the V paired with the bass.

13 hours ago, msb said:

This is a nice page about Japanese basses and the various factories. 

https://spinditty.com/instruments-gear/Japanese-Manufacturers-of-Made-In-Japan-Badged-Guitars-from-1950-to-1980

I recently picked up a UniVox HiFlier , and just love the trashy little thing.

Unfortunately a lot of the info on that page is outdated and downright wrong - it's been a bone of contention/irritation in the various vintage MIJ communities for years, & unfortunately whoever put it together hasn't updated it to reflect emerging facts & knowledge.

Better link? I’m frequently trying to determine where/when something might have originated. 
And haven’t found any good guides for the Korean factories from the 90’s on, they’re confusing too. As are the contemporary Chinese/Indonesian instruments.

Your best bet is to hang around the Facebook vintage MIJ groups, probably the biggest, with the biggest collection of experts is The Original Vintage Japanese Guitar Fanclub. There are lots of others for numerous different brands/manufacturers but many of the same people (including me) are members of several groups.

There's not anything like as much understanding of Korean manufacturers as Japanese and often the factories are harder to define. Cort & Samick seem to have been responsible for a lot of 70s MIK, but there were bound to be numerous others. The industry took off moving into the 80s & 90s as it became the main source of budget & midrange instruments but still many of the manufacturers aren't known. Same with Indonesia, Taiwan & now China too.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Hi Paul,

Today I picked up a very similar EROS bass with the same pickup date markings. Seems this one is more natural than honey, so the headstock and neck are similar to the body in colour.

This one is in worse condition and the bridge saddle is missing 😖. Was hoping to replace the bridge but the post holes are an odd spacing, 79mm rather than the 85mm of spares. It seems the string spacing is tight, 14.5mm at the bridge. I might have to dowel the post holes and redrill to fit a 3 Point bridge.

Thanks for the research you have done on this bass. It's very cool and I can't wait to fix/clean it up and hear it.

What type of wood do you reckon has been used for the body? Perhaps basswood or alder?

PXL_20231110_213336017.jpg

PXL_20231110_213350297.jpg

• Like 2