Why become a member? ×

Six String Snob!

DTB

I played 6 strings most of the time before my wrist injury. I did use a 4 string for a stoner/doom band as I thought the 6s might have looked a bit silly. Personally, I prefer to have all the notes accessible without sliding up and down the neck

I've had to switch to short scale bass only now, so my 6 strings just sit there at home looking pretty and making me frustrated. I might sell them soon. I'm hoping someone might start making a short scale 6 string at a budget price

11 hours ago, cheddatom said:

I played 6 strings most of the time before my wrist injury. I did use a 4 string for a stoner/doom band as I thought the 6s might have looked a bit silly. Personally, I prefer to have all the notes accessible without sliding up and down the neck

I've had to switch to short scale bass only now, so my 6 strings just sit there at home looking pretty and making me frustrated. I might sell them soon. I'm hoping someone might start making a short scale 6 string at a budget price

I feel your pain. My body is completely flipped due to arthritis which means I can’t play guitar anymore and play bass (which always was my main instrument) and piano when my pain allows. I have quite a few guitars just sitting around the studio and house waiting for my son to grow up and hopefully start playing them. 
I’m also now incontinent due to nerve problems in my back. I’m 53. So all you youngsters out there play as much as you can whilst you can coz you never know how long you’ve got. 
Sorry if that’s too much information, but I’m having a particularly bad and painful day today amd needed to rant!!!!!

Edited by DTB
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, DTB said:

I feel your pain. My body is completely flipped due to arthritis which means I can’t play guitar anymore and play bass (which always was my main instrument) and piano when my pain allows. I have quite a few guitars just sitting around the studio and house waiting for my son to grow up and hopefully start playing them. 
I’m also now incontinent due to nerve problems in my back. I’m 53. So all you youngsters out there play as much as you can whilst you can coz you never know how long you’ve got. 
Sorry if that’s too much information, but I’m having a particularly bad and painful day today amd needed to rant!!!!!

I feel your pain also. Back pain, nerve pain, lucky I can "strap on" the Stick and sit, but even that gets too much after a short while - much sooner than getting into "the zone". It's frustrating. But. Small rewards.

At the end of the day (its night yes yes I know) it depends on what you play. If a 5 or 6 string suits your style of music then more power to you. But it does mildly irritate me when see songs being played in a 5 or 6 string which can be easily played on a standard 4. I just think what are you trying to prove? I played a 5 string years ago and mostly found myself using the B string as thumb rest. Never played a 6 string.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BassFace1991 said:

At the end of the day (its night yes yes I know) it depends on what you play. If a 5 or 6 string suits your style of music then more power to you. But it does mildly irritate me when see songs being played in a 5 or 6 string which can be easily played on a standard 4. I just think what are you trying to prove? I played a 5 string years ago and mostly found myself using the B string as thumb rest. Never played a 6 string.

You don't need a four-string bass for 'Smoke On The Water', either. Should it only be played on a two-string bass..? I don't get 'mildly irritated' when a pianist doesn't use all 88 keys at his/her disposal; that would be daft. -_-

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I don't get 'mildly irritated' when a pianist doesn't use all 88 keys at his/her disposal; that would be daft. -_-

I got "mildly irritated" recently when the cat jumped up on the piano (I'd foolishly left the lid open) and "played" most of those notes late one evening as I was snoozing on a sofa a few feet away... 

In hindsight it sounded a bit like Gyorgi Ligeti.. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I got "mildly irritated" recently when the cat jumped up on the piano (I'd foolishly left the lid open) and "played" most of those notes late one evening as I was snoozing on a sofa a few feet away... 

my 2 yo son does a similar tune, but tbf most of the time he does it on his own keyboard and not my piano. 
he also has his own 1984 Gibson laying on a gigbag on the lounge floor that is tuned to open D that he strums.

before anyone shoots me down for letting such a valuable guitar etc etc

a year or two after I bought it Gibson whom I’d asked to authenticate it told me it was a (very good) fake. As I can’t sell it with a clear conscience it became his first guitar and he loves it. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

You don't need a four-string bass for 'Smoke On The Water', either. Should it only be played on a two-string bass..? I don't get 'mildly irritated' when a pianist doesn't use all 88 keys at his/her disposal; that would be daft. -_-

Good job we're not talking about pianos then. 

• Like 1