Why become a member? ×

mini tone pot on a P/J bass - help please

Soledad

Having a run around with this. I have a '98 US built Precision Special (a P/J as it's known). The original tone pot is duff, signal drops, earth buzz etc.
Ordered what I thought was right from Northwest, but it was just a standard size version which won't fit cavity (tone pot occupies space originally made for the jack on a std Precision so needs to be smaller size than standard).
So I'm looking for a source of a decent quality mini pot (250k I believe) with the solid 1/4" shaft (to take std Precision knob).

I sent wrong one back to Northwest but they have now shipped a split shaft pot... utterly useless.

Anyone know where I can get a decent quality replacement for the tone pot - can't be so hard as Mexico make P/Js these days I believe, not like it's that rare.

Help appreciated.

1 minute ago, PaulThePlug said:

Or... just use the split shaft, but align the knob so the grub screw goes in to the shaft gap to force apart for grip, rather than on the splined halfs, squashing the gap...

I tried using those before (on KiOgon's Jazz harness a while back), wasn't happy as the knob becomes eccentric and it made my head hurt!! (OCD-ish).

I'll ask KiOgon. Thanks for tips.

40 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Or... just use the split shaft, but align the knob so the grub screw goes in to the shaft gap to force apart for grip, rather than on the splined halfs, squashing the gap...

(Thread Hijack)

I had to re-read that sentence 4 times. On reads 1-3, it made absolutely no sense at all and just looked like insane gibberish.

However, on the final read, the penny dropped and I became enlightened. Not only do I now know why there's a difference between a splined and a solid shaft, I've also got a very useful life hack for bass guitar maintenance.

Thank you Mr. ThePlug. That is probably going to be the highlight of my day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Soledad said:

I tried using those before (on KiOgon's Jazz harness a while back), wasn't happy as the knob becomes eccentric and it made my head hurt!! (OCD-ish).

I'll ask KiOgon. Thanks for tips.

If you use the wrong knobs, for 1/4" shafts - yes they will go eccentric - but if you use the proper knobs for 6mm shafts the alignment of the screw with the split makes them fit concentric and tight.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KiOgon said:

If you use the wrong knobs, for 1/4" shafts - yes they will go eccentric - but if you use the proper knobs for 6mm shafts the alignment of the screw with the split makes them fit concentric and tight.

OK, on my Precision I will keep the original knobs and want a straight replace new with old. So I need a mini 250k with 1/4" solid shaft. Seems Northwest list said item, may have just sent the wrong one (split shaft). Also theirs is like £2.50 which makes me suspicious of quality. Do you have any mini solid 1/4"?