Why become a member? ×

Insured couriers

ReeV0

There was a recent thread about this with some good suggestions: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/472167-courier-with-insurance-dec-2022-any-suggestions-please/

The cost depends on the value of the bass.  I recently sent a bass insured for £1000 which cost £49 with Overland Express (carrier was Parcelforce).  Fortunately I didn't need to make a claim so can't give any feedback on that aspect.

12 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

There was a recent thread about this with some good suggestions: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/472167-courier-with-insurance-dec-2022-any-suggestions-please/

The cost depends on the value of the bass.  I recently sent a bass insured for £1000 which cost £49 with Overland Express (carrier was Parcelforce).  Fortunately I didn't need to make a claim so can't give any feedback on that aspect.

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I'd think virtually any quote would be way cheaper than that, Royal mail parcel force or whatever its called now do insurance up to quite a high value I believe. 

@Waddo Soqable Parcel Force do NOT insure instruments against damage even if you pay for extra insurance. It’s in their terms.

• Like 1

You wouldnt know unless you read their small print.  Oh, they'll let you fill in the form and add the insurance. Very clever.

But if it goes awol or gets damaged they'll invoke their small print.  IIRC, the most they'll pay out on a bass is 100 quids

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Really? So they won't insure musical instruments of any kind?.

News to me but well worth knowing 👍

Yup. Many people have been caught out by it. 

Claims for losses are limited to a stupidly low sum no matter how much you pay for the extra insurance for any musical instrument.

For smaller items like Class D heads, pedals etc, Royal Mail Special Delivery is a much better choice with better coverage options.

Or use an uninsured courier and buy a separate policy from Secursus. Although be aware they won't insure anything bought / sold via Ebay or reverb. Forums are fine though.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, fleabag said:

I thought i had read on here that someone had contacted Securus about the Ebay thing and got a reply that Ebay purchases are no problem.

I had a search but failed to find it

it was me. And it was a big fat “NO” about eBay.

Ive got the emails from them.

10 hours ago, ReeV0 said:

So I haven't really found a viable option yet either here or in the link mention previously, for posting a £700 bass (in a soft case & cardboard box) within the UK, fully insured. Pretty crazy

I’ve researched this extensively and yes, unfortunately you’re not going to find anyone who will insure a bass in a soft case. So if you do use a courier you’ll have to invest in a hard case so you’re covered, or take your chances without insuring it. For the latter option, if you paid more for 24hr delivery there’s theoretically less chance of it getting bashed up because there’s a shorter amount of potential time for it to be chucked around a depot etc. 

8 minutes ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

I’ve researched this extensively and yes, unfortunately you’re not going to find anyone who will insure a bass in a soft case. So if you do use a courier you’ll have to invest in a hard case so you’re covered, or take your chances without insuring it. For the latter option, if you paid more for 24hr delivery there’s theoretically less chance of it getting bashed up because there’s a shorter amount of potential time for it to be chucked around a depot etc. 

So despite being say, double boxed and secured in the manner a manufacturer might despatch it, they won't insure it? 

How about if a bass is for instance sent "neck off"  effectively disassembled, it's then "musical instrument parts" , and their collective value is surely what it is.. ? 

Edited by Waddo Soqable

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

So despite being say, double boxed and secured in the manner a manufacturer might despatch it, they won't insure it? 

How about if a bass is for instance sent "neck off"  effectively disassembled, it's then "musical instrument parts" , and their collective value is surely what it is.. ? 

In my experience, nope they still won’t insure it. If sending in a hard case just isn’t a possibility then my suggestion would be to pack the instrument within an inch of its life (decent soft case, plenty of bubble wrap/newspaper so it can’t move around much), and a very sturdy box. That way even if it does take a battering by a careless courier it should arrive in one piece.

I have often wondered how the manufacturers and shops are covered when sending their stuff through the post though. I guess they must have some kind of special arrangement/contract with their courier of choice that covers them, because of the volume of items they send and the amount of business they bring. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Downunderwonder said:

Shipping neck off allows a much more compact package that is every which way harder to damage.

It's also a cheaper base courier price, when on odd occasions I've sent one, a full size  bass especially in a hard case seems to exceed a certain set of dimensions that push it into expensive territory to start with. 

And as mentioned it's way less fragile if dismantled and wrapped well in a stout double box

On 20/01/2023 at 22:43, ReeV0 said:

So I haven't really found a viable option yet either here or in the link mention previously, for posting a £700 bass (in a soft case & cardboard box) within the UK, fully insured. Pretty crazy

A Gear4music foam case is £45 - you can always sell it on afterwards.  Although they're actually pretty good - I bought one initially for exactly this postal insurance reason, but ended up keeping it for many years.

(Or buy a few and set up a side hustle bass case rental service for other people in your situation...)

BTW get the seller to take photos of the bass as they pack it - see these T&C, "We will request these photos if your package is lost or damaged":

2023-01-22-23-53-32.thumb.png.04c79818e36503da84f2c1cbf02d02f2.png

• Like 1