Why become a member? ×

NBD! 40th Anniversary Gold Edition Squier Jazz Bass..

VTypeV4

Given that I've recently passed significant milestone and have owned many (many!) examples of Jazz Basses, the Mrs saw it fitting and appropriate to get me one of these lovely anniversary basses. It's an absolute beauty with it's gold hardware, block inlays, binding and flawless olympic white finish. It would happily sit in the company of guitars costing three-times as much and, in terms of build quality and sound - it may well take the crown of 'best passive Jazz I've ever owned' from the long serving VM model - time will tell! ❤️

Squier 40th

Squier 40th

Squier 40th

Squier 40th

Squier 40th

I've spent a bit of ime setting it up and allowing it to settle these last few days as it's the first brand-new, unplayed bass I've had since I bought my Warwick (22!) years ago in 2001. Now tweaked to my personal tastes, it's a fantastic piece of kit - can't wait to take to rehearsal. 😃

• Like 17

Congrats on your NBD!!

I have one in the red metallic finish. I completely agree... I've not actually played a better jazz bass i think. I've done decent gigs with it and not really picked up anything else since... Incredible value for money.

I'd say it's at least as well made as any of the Mex, US or Japanese models I've owned over the years..

The best Fender I had was an early '96 Jazz Deluxe in a semi sparkly blue burst with a 50th anniversary marker - that thing was killer and I do regret letting it go back in 2006. Other than that, I feel this Squier out performs the rest with some really nice basses coming and going including a US '92 Jazz Plus, a mid-nineties Japanese '75 reissue and a 2004 Mexican Deluxe V - Squier have absolutely out-done themselves (and the competition!) with this particular line. 💯

@TommyK Glad your findings are much the same! 😃

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

Very nice VType, I’m not normally a fan of gold hardware but that looks great 👍 

Thanks, man ❤️ I feel the off-white and gold combination are just pure class. I always fancied another Warwick Streamer in this colour combo but never came accross one when I could afford it!

I know they're famous last words (I know, I know!!) but I really can't see me wanting or needing any more basses now - I may even thin the collection a little. Between the Status, the Warwick and of course, the Squier, I feel I'm very much covered. 😃

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TommyK said:

Here’s mine.. now with tort guard… cos it’s the law… etc 

I just love it. 🥰

There's your typical tort swap, and then there's THIS tort swap. That looks bloody lush, that does. Absolutely perfect. :)

• Like 2

I'm leaving it on for a few days to see how I feel. It's funny, the original brushed metal one grew on me and felt it looked better in real life than in any of the promo pictures. I'd ordered the white / pearl plate about the same time that the bass was, convinced it would be an improvement although in reality, I'm now 50/50.

Either way, it's a killer bass! ❤️ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VTypeV4 said:

I'm leaving it on for a few days to see how I feel. It's funny, the original brushed metal one grew on me and felt it looked better in real life than in any of the promo pictures. I'd ordered the white / pearl plate about the same time that the bass was, convinced it would be an improvement although in reality, I'm now 50/50.

Either way, it's a killer bass! ❤️ 

I really didn't used to like the look/idea of brushed alu pickguards but then I bought a bass with one on & it changed my mind instantly! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, VTypeV4 said:

Back to gold Squier

Ulitmately, I went back to the gold scratch plate. ❤️

Much better I think. 

Interestingly the screws look like they sit more proud on your jazz than my precision with gold plate - different Fender factories but you'd think they would use the same screws, maybe the milling on the pick guard is to a different depth.  

16 hours ago, EJWW said:

What's the weight like on these? I just don't get on with Jazzes but I'm smitten with this 🥰

I've weighed it using our trusty kitchen scales and it's just shy of 10lbs - certainly not a lightweight. 😃

15 hours ago, Lw. said:

Much better I think. 

Interestingly the screws look like they sit more proud on your jazz than my precision with gold plate - different Fender factories but you'd think they would use the same screws, maybe the milling on the pick guard is to a different depth.  

Interesting, possibly a combination of both screws and plate depths - mine have slightly domed heads so possibly a perspective thing? As for the factories, the serial number suggests this one was made in the Cort Sammick factory.

Edited by VTypeV4