Why become a member? ×

Let's Talk About Progressive Rock

Ricky 4000

4 hours ago, Gasman said:

More recently I was delighted to find that the guitarist in my current band has solid platinum Prog form - Francis Lickerish was a founder member of The Enid, an ironic symphonic prog band from the early 80s

This reminded me that a mate from school, Robert Perry, was briefly associated with The Enid. He played a part in getting me into playing in a band when we wrote the odd (very odd) song or two together while still at school. I used to borrow his synthesisers (a monophonic Yamaha CS10 and a Korg Delta) and for a few months we were working on a line-up that would have been our first band. The idea was to play backing music for a modern dance group. Rob was the creative genius but he moved away to work for The Enid, initially writing copy for album covers. IIRC he wrote a few lyrics and played bass drum (!) with The Enid at a gig in London. Apart from one brief appearance at which he recited poetry at one of our gigs, I lost touch.

So just now I looked up The Enid on Wikipedia to see if my memory was correct and found he was listed as playing keyboards with them in 1988. Following through I see his main claim to fame now is writing and script editing. He has worked with Mike Tucker, also a school mate, who has done a lot of special effects work for TV and film.  

I've just read through this thread and I guess I now like the prog I liked, but not more recent stuff. Genesis, Yes, Tull, ELP, Oldfield, most Rush, all on LP and mostly again on CD. But at university I got into the blues, and then all sorts of stuff, then Miles Davis and into fusion and jazz. Now playing a lot of Grateful Dead and Americana.

When I listen to the old stuff, I get the same thrill as I did before, but not newer. A friend sent me a link to "The Whirlwind" by Transatlantic. I should have loved it, but it didn't grab me at all.

(I do like bagpipes. I have a practice chanter at home, but the bandleader has said if he ever sees it on stage then I won't be able to sit down for a week)

Edited by Richard R
Correcting autocorrect...

• 1 month later...

Stumbled across this recently... YYNOT are an American band, they do a lot of Rush stuff but mainly originals, and this is one. The bass is phenomenal.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

From the "double neck" thread these turned up ... messers Schicke, Fuhrs & Frohling  from 1976 I think, progging it up a bit... 

These messers were nearly wholly forgotten by me. Listening to the album right now. Thanks for posting!

Does anyone remember this record label and its use of the Yes space glider? I do remember one or more musicassettes having been released like this, but have no idea about YESS or what they've put out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

These messers were nearly wholly forgotten by me. Listening to the album right now. Thanks for posting!

Does anyone remember this record label and its use of the Yes space glider? I do remember one or more musicassettes having been released like this, but have no idea about YESS or what they've put out.

https://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2017/02/yess-records-feature

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Thanks! Your googolplex is larger than my googol. 😃 
It again shows that my local record store was quite special. Another example is the guy offering me a copy of "Boris" by Yezda Urfa - rarer than hens' teeth chewing on rocking horse poo, and also more hygienic, I assume.

• Like 1