Why become a member? ×

Why I don't need a alum deuce bridge

Jslack

I play Rockabilly Slap and I seen an aluminum bridge called a deuce bridge for $375.00 usd has anybody ever seen, one and please tell me why, I don't need one even though, I do so badly.  I'm holding on to my pocketbook, for now and bought a solid maple bridge for now just have to cut / shape it feel confident, enough to do myself not, Rocket science I been told..

I use a Deuce bridge and it's marvelous. I will never go back. It is way more stable than a maple bridge, it has adjustable pressure on the wing pickup(s) to get the best sound, the wooden part is easily replaceable should the need arise, and it just looks so darn cool. It will never fall over if you're an energetic rockabilly player with very low tension strings.

• Like 1

Hmm.  Always good to see some innovation, and it has a cyberpunk thing going for it.  But think I'll stick to maple.

There was a previous metal bridge  that was briefly popular.  You occasionally see basses bearing the scars!

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images2/360/0612/27/metal-double-bass-bridge_360_331e3f5fafe8107d204cce8b23508846.jpg&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjRk4W6qsr8AhWRScAKHfboC3AQ5hMIBQ&usg=AOvVaw1ny4Vj2wOEvU22DUxV2Jds

url.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Aesthetically I just don’t get it, ugly frankenstein contraptions that are completely at odds with the gorgeous organic curves of the bass.

All the deuce guys swear blind the tone is improved but I take that with a pinch of salt. So many variables could cause that. 

Adjustable pick up pressure… yep I get the appeal. But there other ways of achieving on a conventional bridge.

Stability… i’m sure it is more stable than a conventional bridge, but unless your bridge is badly fitted and you have the lowest of low tension strings, there is no way it is gonna fall over. If you have that problem, try getting the bridge fitted properly before throwing it away.

A dog is more stable than a person, but that don’t mean i’m rushing out to get an extra pair of metal legs fitted. 

Think it was a link from talk bass ... In which someone posted:

" I don't care if it makes your Kay bass sound like a Gagliano (probably doesn't). Do you really want to perform in front of an audience with that ugly thing on your bass? Looks like something off a mountain bike."

Pretty much sums it up imo. 😁

I play in a jazz standards trio and a 50s rock n roll band, both regularly working. I have used a Deuce since they first came out and have never once had anyone tell me it's an ugly bridge, not even in purist jazz club situations. In fact I sometimes get bassists coming up to me after a gig and asking to look at it, and asking where I got it from. I get that some bassists may not like the look of them, but to openly diss them when they have obviously not tried one is pretty small-minded, in my opinion. I never thought this place would display the same pettiness that frequently occurs on TalkBass.

10 hours ago, Marty Forrer said:

I play in a jazz standards trio and a 50s rock n roll band, both regularly working. I have used a Deuce since they first came out and have never once had anyone tell me it's an ugly bridge, not even in purist jazz club situations. In fact I sometimes get bassists coming up to me after a gig and asking to look at it, and asking where I got it from. I get that some bassists may not like the look of them, but to openly diss them when they have obviously not tried one is pretty small-minded, in my opinion. I never thought this place would display the same pettiness that frequently occurs on TalkBass.

I think British humour may not translate. Nobody here is judging someone, or would be critical about their choice. We’re just making silly points.

If it works for you, have the confidence to ignore us idiotic Brits.

Personally, I just couldn’t see this bridge sat on top of the hand carved Bryant bass I have. It just wouldn’t look *right*. But I’m definitely interested in how it would work on an aluminium bass.

Can you share some pictures of your set up?

16 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I think British humour may not translate. Nobody here is judging someone, or would be critical about their choice. We’re just making silly points.

If it works for you, have the confidence to ignore us idiotic Brits.

Personally, I just couldn’t see this bridge sat on top of the hand carved Bryant bass I have. It just wouldn’t look *right*. But I’m definitely interested in how it would work on an aluminium bass.

Can you share some pictures of your set up?

I'm English by birth, escaped to the penal colonies aged six.

20220402_111651.jpg

318722133_2275177042676112_7296026279979526622_n.jpg