Why become a member? ×

Backup Needed - Copy Or Different Flavour?

spongebob

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

And now you have that stressful decision of what bass do i play tonight

If one is a backup, then it makes sense to take both.

I try out both basses during sound check and play the one I think sounds the best on the night.

• Like 1

On 02/01/2023 at 22:11, Steve Browning said:

Have to say that would be my suggestion. Not too far away from the main bass and good enough as a spare. Bung in a Stinger pre-amp and you're even closer.

This is exactly what I did, strangely the SUB is now my preferred bass I use for gigs.

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

If one is a backup, then it makes sense to take both.

I try out both basses during sound check and play the one I think sounds the best on the night.

I take 2 basses but one is solely there if the main bass fails. I've only used it on occasion for 1st set then gone back to my main bass.

I've decided with the punk band that my Geddy Jazz will go along as my spare for the MarloweDK. They are so alike in feel and similar in tone that i might use one for each set.

Must admit i like to stick with a bass once i'm happy it works for me in a specific band.

Since discovering Sandberg basses i've kinda stuck with them as they work in both types of bands that i use them in.

Dave

I have had failures in the past, so have always taken a back up 'just in case', and they have always been different - 

- No Name Jazz backing up a Ibanez JTKB200 JetKing
- JetKing backing Epiphone Explorer
- Explorer and Squier Affinity P (No real preference as to which is 'main' on the night)

I now have another P, built by my father's bass player for my 40th, so that will probably become 'Main' with one of the others as 'Back Up', when I get back to gigging etc, so may have a foot in both camps!