Why become a member? ×

Geddy scratchplate

dmccombe7

Bought a pearl scratchplate from our very own @Alfie Noakes last Thu. Posted Fri and arrived Sat morning.

Just fitted and i'm fair pleased with it.

Had to make a few little adjustments to its fitting and one hole is half a hole out and not really worth filling in, drilling to make a new screw hole.

Been wanting one of these for a while and it just popped up in For Sale.

What do you think, before and after pics.

Before

1.thumb.jpg.160ab0e6a505534b7c3fbddaa7869bb8.jpg

After

2.thumb.jpg.ec09587b0ac6e6aae69002691da3207e.jpg

Close up

3.thumb.jpg.5a706c0de435919587a2bcc7a726ef13.jpg

• Like 4

Its my fav bass to play. The neck is amazing and it just feels perfect for what i do and my style of playing.

Its a bit biting for the bands i play in and lacks a bit of low end heft but i still love it. Not used it with my Handbox WB-100 all valve amp yet so that might give it a bit more depth of tone.

I've got the bug for my P bass tone at moment but its not such a great bass to play as my Jazz. Neck is wide and it needs some neck work done when i get around to it. Can only get the action down to 2.5mm. I prefer 2mm. Will look at getting it sorted in 2023 with a bit of luck.

Dave

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Can only get the action down to 2.5mm. I prefer 2mm. Will look at getting it sorted in 2023 with a bit of luck.

Ironic, as Geddy himself prefers his "medium-high."

Gotta agree, they're great instruments. I wouldn't part with mine, it'll be going in my box with me when I go.

12 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Gotta agree, they're great instruments. I wouldn't part with mine, it'll be going in my box with me when I go.

The Geddy is down at just under 2mm but my P bass is high.

If i lower the P bass any lower it chokes at the 15th - 17th frets. Needs the frets heights dropped a little at the body end but i'm not good enough to do that kind of work.

I once read that Geddy has a low to med action but plays hard and that's why he has that gnarl from a little fret rattle. Sure it was his bass tech doing a rig run-down thing that he mentioned how his basses were set up.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

7 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Well I never knew that!!🙂

I would have presumed Geddy was a low action kind of a guy. Then again, he did play Rickenbackers for years, so he probably had to adapt to a slightly higher action.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eric.C.Lapton said:

Those wall hangers must be huge, that Warwick thumb looks so small in the distance…

image.thumb.jpeg.bb8fc83cee30da86a0e0980891adf1b1.jpeg

Its daddy is just to the left of it. You can just see the edge at the bottom corner.

Here's a better pic. 

This is one of those Father Ted moments. "these ones are small and those ones are far far away :tatice_03:

351475087_WarwickThumbNT89.thumb.jpg.7cf103b1c48a1e5df734b19c5f6d2d4f.jpg

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Its daddy is just to the left of it. You can just see the edge at the bottom corner.

Here's a better pic. 

This is one of those Father Ted moments. "these ones are small and those ones are far far away :tatice_03:

351475087_WarwickThumbNT89.thumb.jpg.7cf103b1c48a1e5df734b19c5f6d2d4f.jpg

I had to look twice at that ,too...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Misdee said:

Well I never knew that!!🙂

I would have presumed Geddy was a low action kind of a guy. Then again, he did play Rickenbackers for years, so he probably had to adapt to a slightly higher action.

He mentions it in his Big Beautiful Book Of Bass.  That tickled me as I do the same to aid in hammer-ons and pull-offs, and I presumed he does so for the same reasons but it could equally be as you suggest.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

He mentions it in his Big Beautiful Book Of Bass.  That tickled me as I do the same to aid in hammer-ons and pull-offs, and I presumed he does so for the same reasons but it could equally be as you suggest.

I've got that book but never read it thru. Just flicked thru some of the pics. All seemed a bit too much to get into but a good collectors item if you like Rush or Geddy.

Maybe i got it wrong and i was just surprised it wasn't low to med string height. Funny how the old brain processes information when you get older. 😀

Something you mentioned i was curious about too was that Rics had higher string height. I had one in 80's and i dont recall it being too bad and i was always under the impression they had a low action. Is it something you've experienced or come across as i'm quite interested in getting another Ric at some point.

Dave

• Like 1

I do wonder wonder though what 'medium-high' means to different players though? To me it's about 4mm at the 17th fret, but to some that might feel like an egg slicer or quite low to others. Depends on one's previous experiencemI guess.

It's a good book, Mrs Bassfinger bought it me when it came out and lime you I'd delved in at random, but eventually read it cover to cover when laid up with the lergie.

• Like 1

Low for me is under 2mm. (12th fret)

Med is 2-3mm

High is over 3mm

Fender guidelines is 2.5mm so i've always accepted 2.5mm is the average or mid point. (measured at 12th fret)

That's another thing about where you measure. I've always done 12th fret, you mention 17th fret so what's the right way ? Curious what height are yours at 12th fret. I'm going to measure mine at 17th fret out of curiosity. 😆

I play quite hard fingerstyle altho i've managed to control that a little over recent years.

My Sandberg VM4 arrived with 1.5mm at 12th fret

Dave

• Like 1

I had printed out their official set up guide from the Fender website altho it was a lot of years ago.

Measured at 12th fret its 2mm and at 17th fret its just under 2.25mm so not much difference.

My gauge goes up in 0.25mm scales.

Dave

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Fenders own recommended figures are measured at the 17th...or the 12th, depending on where you read them! 🤣

Think i'll ask the BC public where they measure theirs. Could make for an interesting topic on here. Then again it might be a bag of worms LOL

Dave

• Haha 1

I never really measured the height ,I just setup with the lowest action possible but a shop once asked so I bought a gauge and 1.5 at the 12th is my maximum i like, a friend of mine who is a really great player has 3mm and I find his basses hard work to play 

• Like 1