Why become a member? ×

2023 Gear Abstinence Thread

jimmyb625

5 hours ago, Simon C said:

I think I've navigated Christmas successfully. The only music thing I was given was a book with Green Day bass scores.  I'll claim immunity under the “Educational purchases, ie tutorial books, lessons, anything that furthers your playing is permitted” allowance on the basis that I've only ever played “ Basket Case” and "American idiot“, that I played both from chord sheets (and didn’t play as per the score, so it has already educated me) and that I didn’t tune down for “ Basket Case". Here's a picture of "Basket Case“ score ( just to show it does exist and in case anyone wants to take it to a judicial review 😁).

I'm confident about the next week😜

IMG_0082.jpeg

Yeah, that seems legit - I wouldn't call it gear either.

• Like 1

I think I've navigated Christmas successfully. The only music thing I was given was a book with Green Day bass scores.  I'll claim immunity under the “Educational purchases, ie tutorial books, lessons, anything that furthers your playing is permitted” allowance on the basis that I've only ever played “ Basket Case” and "American idiot“, that I played both from chord sheets (and didn’t play as per the score, so it has already educated me) and that I didn’t tune down for “ Basket Case". Here's a picture of "Basket Case“ score ( just to show it does exist and in case anyone wants to take it to a judicial review 😁).

I'm confident about the next week😜

IMG_0082.jpeg

It was a gift, so what does it matter? I got gifted a bass two years ago - unprompted gift, didn't count, participation continued.

• Like 3

Well, I made it! Not a single purchase of anything in 2023.

In fact the last thing I bought was in June 2022 so I lasted 18 months.

I think I may have cured my GAS and in 2024 I can see myself actually shedding some gear.

There are only two things that might change things in the future; 1) an unexpected influx of a reasonable sum of money and; 2) the discovery of a pre-CBS Precision in original condition for a price that the aforementioned reasonable sum of money would cover. 😉

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

Well done to all who made it - and to those of us who made better use of our existing kit to improve our skills.

For 2024, I am about to spend a little bit on lessons - that's allowable, I hope?

I wouldn't class that as gear, so I'd say fill your boots.

29 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

Well done to all who made it - and to those of us who made better use of our existing kit to improve our skills.

For 2024, I am about to spend a little bit on lessons - that's allowable, I hope?

Yes, lessons are in the allowable spend.  Good luck with them.

I made it through the year.  I have enjoyed playing my existing kit.  I don’t need anything else, but I do have a work bonus from July / August leading to pent up demand. It could be very soon - a picture will be supplied in the next few days if it is.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Simon C said:

I made it through the year.  I have enjoyed playing my existing kit.  I don’t need anything else, but I do have a work bonus from July / August leading to pent up demand. It could be very soon - a picture will be supplied in the next few days if it is.

Ooh - I didn’t buy any keyboard or recording stuff either.  So I graduated in the tier 2 abstinence too.  Double dose of smug 😜.

1 hour ago, Simon C said:

I did promise to share if I purchased "in the next few days".  So here goes.  As an added bonus, you could even play a game of "Spot the difference."

20240102_135200-COLLAGE.jpg

There’s an advent calendar in the 2nd picture. Do I win a prize?

18 minutes ago, ezbass said:

There’s an advent calendar in the 2nd picture. Do I win a prize?

I would have said "yes".  But as you are "Hiding in Perthshire" it might be difficult to find you to hand the prize over.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Simon C said:

I would have said "yes".  But as you are "Hiding in Perthshire" it might be difficult to find you to hand the prize over.

Curses! Hoist on my own petard. I shouldn’t have moved, as Ashtead was only a shortish drive from my old house.

• Haha 1

I'm in. There are two basses in the market place I want, but emphatically don't need, so I'll nail my colours to the mast now.

And hope I don't unexpectedly come into a grand or so.. 😁

Edited by Richard R
and spend the money on typing lessons!

17 minutes ago, Richard R said:

I'm in. There are two basses in the market place I want, but emphatically don't need, so I'll nail my colours to the mast now.

And hope I don't unexpectedly come into a grand or so.. 😁

Entering the 2023 gear abstinence thread in 2024 is cheating.

• Haha 6

I did promise to share if I purchased "in the next few days".  So here goes.  As an added bonus, you could even play a game of "Spot the difference."

20240102_135200-COLLAGE.jpg

One picture has an instrument that divides opinion, and is fiercely defended by its few fans.

The other contains a ukulele. 

• Haha 3