Why become a member? ×

NBD: After 30 years, I've finally found my perfect P bass....

tredders

Over the years, I've had every form of P bass, from starting years ago on a cheapo Vox White Shadow, through to Fender custom shops, CIJ, AV models, a couple of Shukers, several Laklands, and finally my current ones (a 73 and 75).  The last two are the closest to P bass perfection for me.  I've played another couple I really loved (Steve Amadeo's 68 P bass, and the one that Horace Panter played & recorded Ghost Town on), but thought I'd got as close to my ideal bass as I was ever going to.

Rewind two weeks, and I buy Paul's (Shepster8316) Yamaha BB1200 for a very good price, as I've been wanting to try one of these for years.  I get it home, plug it in, and.......   it's bloody amazing!!   Not only does it sound great (like a good P bass should), but the neck is superb - absolutely perfect for me, and has made me realise that its profile (wide, narrow) is exactly what I like playing.  I find myself picking this one up ahead of all of my others, and keep sneaking off to play it "just for a few minutes"!  

Weird that after a journey of a thousand (or at least several dozen) Fenders, my ideal P bass turns out to be a Yamaha.

A few of Paul's pics attached (hope you don't mind Paul)....

i-34ZQzv5-L.jpg

i-Jkb3xFj-L.jpg

i-kgLTNWT-L.jpg

Now I just need to find another one, to string with flats.   Anyone looking to move one on, let me know 😊

• Like 27

10 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

What a gorgeous old thing. I'd love to try one one day.

If you’re ever round my neck of the woods, you’d be more than welcome to pop in for a coffee and try it out.  I took a chance on this (and I’m really glad I did) because the chances of playing one before buying it were slim to none.  Happy to spread the Yamaha love!