Why become a member? ×

Preamp/DI suggestions

IanA

Hey all

I Would be grateful for your thoughts on a preamp/di or even just a stand alone di box for my pedalboard.

I run direct with no amps/cabs on stage and am using a Stingray 5 Special and a Fender Precision.

Dirt for some songs and clean for others…

My main concern is matching up with the Stingray which hasn’t left the house yet… and I know the Fender isn’t fussy!

Have used the Tonehammer before and it was great with the P, didn’t gel with the Mesa, EBS Valvedrive failed after 2 weeks, EBS Microbass iii was dull…

Alternatively I could just run a Neve RNDI or a Radial J48 instead of a full pre but am concerned that I might miss out on a little bit of adjustability, having said that the sound guys tend to prefer a straight clean signal anyway…

So, please let me know your thoughts🙏🏻

ps. The Noble is too much money 😂

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, IanA said:

ps. The Noble is too much money 😂

I was thinking all the way through reading that ‘the noble is the way’ until the last line.😂🤣

You are about to get everyone’s personal choice thrown at you.

a few I know work well and suited my choice are:

The GK Plex has some good sounds in it when you get it set up, it also has a compressor and dirt included which work reasonably well enough to drop pedals off your board.

If it’s tube your after you can pick up a Dave Hall preamp/DI you won’t find one brand new as Dave is no longer with us but secondhand there are some great prices on his units and they sound wonderful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric.C.Lapton said:

If it’s tube your after you can pick up a Dave Hall preamp/DI you won’t find one brand new as Dave is no longer with us but secondhand there are some great prices on his units and they sound wonderful. 

Still rate my DHA VT1 DI EQ. Really hard to improve on the sound of that one for me. 

• Like 2

I have no experience with it, but the Eden WTDI for £69.99 from G4M would be a no brainer if I needed another DI. It's only downside is that it runs off 15v (PSU included).

My favourite coloured DI is the Tech21 VT Bass and my favourite more neutral DI is the Tech21 Para Driver.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions everyone I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I have just bought an RNDI from tayste_2000 and will look at one of the preamp options after Christmas… I am kind of tempted by the Ampeg or a VTDI But it has been an expensive month with the Stingray purchase… so it will have to wait😊

Merry Christmas all🎉

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I've received a Sansamp VT bass DI a week ago.

Great DI, great bass preamp.

I wanted to bring a little bit of that vintage tube sound to my very clean Glockenklang set up and it is exactly what this preamp does. Great variety of tone just with the caracter and drive knob.

From pillowy lows à la Motown to agressive overdriven middy tone, everything is there with just the caracter knob. If you want that classic Ampeg flavours, imho this box is more Ampeg than the Ampeg SCR preamp.   

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, garyt said:

Does anyone have experience of the Rheingold BP-2 preamps?  I doubt if I’d get to try one, but all the clips seem to show it just making everything sound better.  A bit like a cheaper Noble. 

Yes...

I had one. 

I was very disappointed with it. The sound was subtle but it did add a colour to the bass that was very pleasing. Unfortunately as soon as the drums and guitars played all the subtle colour was swamped.

Sold it with a huge financial loss. ☹️

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PaulHornBass said:

The Nordstrand Starlifter looks interesting. I haven't tried one, but the reviews intrigue me.

I had one, sounded great but the power supply was a deal breaker for me unfortunately.

• Like 1

I have actually gone down the Heix LT route now and couldn’t be happier. 
There are some really nice preamp and amp models to work with plus all the effects and the volume pedal built in.

For £795 it has more than I will ever need

• Like 3

As a band we all use IEMs with no backline and I've tried a fair few preamp pedals.

Also, as a massive Gallien Krueger and Flea fan I always loved the 800RB sound so I went searcing for that sound and came across a small company in the US called DiCosimo.

These are all handbuild in the US and until recently had been a one man operation. I took quite a big gamble getting this as, after tax etc, it cost about £340 to get it from the US.

I've used mine with a US Jazz, Player & VIntera Precisions and with my current two basses - Warmoth Dinky Jazz with 18v EMGs & Status Graphite neck and EBMM Sterling 4HH

I can honestly say that I have never had a bad sound and like the original 800RB I had, I still don't use the voicing filters 🙂

They also make an Acoustic 360+ pedal which is also meant to be great but I haven't tried that one

This is my one below set for the Musicman using only the bridge pickup

Musicman.jpg

Edited by Delberthot
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

As a band we all use IEMs with no backline and I've tried a fair few preamp pedals.

Also, as a massive Gallien Krueger and Flea fan I always loved the 800RB sound so I went searcing for that sound and came across a small company in the US called DiCosimo.

These are all handbuild in the US and until recently had been a one man operation. I took quite a big gamble getting this as, after tax etc, it cost about £340 to get it from the US.

I've used mine with a US Jazz, Player & VIntera Precisions and with my current two basses - Warmoth Dinky Jazz with 18v EMGs & Status Graphite neck and EBMM Sterling 4HH

I can honestly say that I have never had a bad sound and like the original 800RB I had, I still don't use the voicing filters 🙂

They also make an Acoustic 360+ pedal which is also meant to be great but I haven't tried that one

This is my one below set for the Musicman using only the bridge pickup

Musicman.jpg

That is amazing. 

Have you see. This fella? He put the tone stack if the 800RB on a drop in jazz plate. 

Such a cool idea. 

https://lusithanddevices.com/product/800ts-jazzplate/

I've got a couple of his bits and they're excellent. 

Edited by lidl e

I put one in my jazz bass, a single NFP preamp drop in jazz plate, and it is the absolute business. I can't say enough good things about it. 

Just gorgeous sounding. 

This guys is doing really grwat work in the UK.

Edited by lidl e