Why become a member? ×

50s P bass single coil pickups - what's out there, pros and cons?

Paul S

Having lived with my bitsa 50s P bass for a little while I feel the pickup could maybe do with a swap.  It is the Roswell Alnico single coil, which is OK, but I want something maybe a bit heavier in the lower mids and with more aggression.  yeah, I know, it is a single coil.  :)  Does anyone have any recommendations? 

ta :)  

After sitting through countless demo videos of almost every pickup brand I could think of, single and dual coil versions, I put a Seymour Duncan SCPB-1 into the 50's P I built as it sounded best to me. It 's got meat, a bit of growl and can be heard here with a set of Chromes on it

https://thehomeball.bandcamp.com/track/fortgeschrittene-h-rtechniken

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Doctor J said:

After sitting through countless demo videos of almost every pickup brand I could think of, single and dual coil versions, I put a Seymour Duncan SCPB-1 into the 50's P I built as it sounded best to me. It 's got meat, a bit of growl and can be heard here with a set of Chromes on it

https://thehomeball.bandcamp.com/track/fortgeschrittene-h-rtechniken

Sounds good. :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I had one in a 51 Reissue, made it a lot “bigger” and more modern sounding, def more aggressive.

Lozz, would you say it still retained something of the character on the '51?  There's not much online soundwise but I think it might be ahead at the moment. 

But then there are probably loads I know nothing about.

Here in the US, the Duncan SCPB-3 is a popular p’up for those looking for a fatter, more aggressive scpb sound. To my ears it sits somewhere in between a scpb and a regular split p. The larger magnets give it a fair amount of heft. 

I suspect that the Duncan SCPB-1 might be a marginal improvement to what you have now but will probably sound pretty similar. Even very inexpensive pickups are pretty well made and sound pretty good these days. I’m not sure the scpb-1 - which is also trying to emulate the classic pickup - will be much of a departure from what you have.  It might be a little better made but I doubt it will sound much different. 

How easy is it to get Fralin pickups in the UK?  One of Lindy Fralin’s scpb pickups with a 5% overwind might be just what you’re looking for. It will be fatter than a typical scpb but still retain the essential scpb character.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lo-E said:

Here in the US, the Duncan SCPB-3 is a popular p’up for those looking for a fatter, more aggressive scpb sound. To my ears it sits somewhere in between a scpb and a regular split p. The larger magnets give it a fair amount of heft. 

I suspect that the Duncan SCPB-1 might be a marginal improvement to what you have now but will probably sound pretty similar. Even very inexpensive pickups are pretty well made and sound pretty good these days. I’m not sure the scpb-1 - which is also trying to emulate the classic pickup - will be much of a departure from what you have.  It might be a little better made but I doubt it will sound much different. 

How easy is it to get Fralin pickups in the UK?  One of Lindy Fralin’s scpb pickups with a 5% overwind might be just what you’re looking for. It will be fatter than a typical scpb but still retain the essential scpb character.  

Fralins are available here, about the same price as the SDs. 

Davie - I know nothing of neodymium bar magnets - what sort of thing do you mean?

Another option, and I have been completely dim here - I've just sold a Retrovibe P-30, which was a short scaled 50s style P bass, and one of the things I really liked about it was the tone - from the Retrovibe own make 'Route '51' pickup.  This is a 9K output and the tone is what I had in my mind when compared to the Roswell.  they cost £35, so around 1/3 the price of the SD or Fralin.

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

Davie - I know nothing of neodymium bar magnets - what sort of thing do you mean?

Paul,  nothing fancy or hi-tech.

Builders use 2 methods to juice up pickups, more wire or stronger magnets.

More wire alters tone, the Duncan QP has that happy smiling face as it waves your mids goodbye 🙂 

Neodymium are super strong magnets, normal alnico pickups get charged just by passing between a neodymium field.

You've saw the Entwistle Neodymiums, well you can do the same with bars from Amazon for £6.

I fell quite deep into the 51 single coil rabbit hole. A few things I've took for the experience.

Big slugs like the Roswell and Duncan QP give a different initial attack. Stacked/split humbuckers in single coil foot print don't sound like single coils, way too polite.

Replacing one for another in the same position will not give you earth shattering changes. Big bucks often = big deal 😒, one of the surprises was an £8 alnico from a Chinese eBay seller 🙂

Your money goes further buying from the UK folk than US brands. Can't promise , FFS don't quote me  😃, but I've an inkling Dave at Bloodstone would do a custom 9.5k overwound single for £50.

Retrovibe 51. Another good choice. I was exchanging pleasantries with Mr Konig this very morning 🙂 There's something in the back of my mind regarding the size of them, a wee niggling thought that they're slightly smaller. An email to David would clear that up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Paul S said:

Another option, and I have been completely dim here - I've just sold a Retrovibe P-30, which was a short scaled 50s style P bass, and one of the things I really liked about it was the tone - from the Retrovibe own make 'Route '51' pickup.  This is a 9K output and the tone is what I had in my mind when compared to the Roswell.  they cost £35, so around 1/3 the price of the SD or Fralin.

This sounds to me like the obvious first choice. A pickup you already know you like for that price is a pretty low-risk experiment. It will sound different on a long scale bass, of course, but how different, really?  If you hate it you can always sell it here on BC for a few pounds less and you haven’t lost much but if you love it you’ve gotten one hell of a bargain. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

More wire alters tone, the Duncan QP has that happy smiling face as it waves your mids goodbye 🙂 

Neodymium are super strong magnets, normal alnico pickups get charged just by passing between a neodymium field.

You've saw the Entwistle Neodymiums, well you can do the same with bars from Amazon for £6.

I fell quite deep into the 51 single coil rabbit hole. A few things I've took for the experience.

Big slugs like the Roswell and Duncan QP give a different initial attack. Stacked/split humbuckers in single coil foot print don't sound like single coils, way too polite.

Replacing one for another in the same position will not give you earth shattering changes. Big bucks often = big deal 😒, one of the surprises was an £8 alnico from a Chinese eBay seller 🙂

Your money goes further buying from the UK folk than US brands. Can't promise , FFS don't quote me  😃, but I've an inkling Dave at Bloodstone would do a custom 9.5k overwound single for £50.

Retrovibe 51. Another good choice. I was exchanging pleasantries with Mr Konig this very morning 🙂 There's something in the back of my mind regarding the size of them, a wee niggling thought that they're slightly smaller. An email to David would clear that up.

Davie - do you recall, the Fury had some magnets at the back of the pickup, presumably by way of a test I could fish those out, stick them behind the single coil and see what happens?

7 hours ago, Lo-E said:

This sounds to me like the obvious first choice. A pickup you already know you like for that price is a pretty low-risk experiment. It will sound different on a long scale bass, of course, but how different, really?  If you hate it you can always sell it here on BC for a few pounds less and you haven’t lost much but if you love it you’ve gotten one hell of a bargain. 

This does sound like a plan.  I shall ponder over the holidays.

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

do you recall, the Fury had some magnets at the back of the pickup,

Aye, those are ceramic blocks ; nowhere near the strength of neodymium.  

I'd leave them be and hunt the house for other magnets 😃 Common sources are kitchen cabinets, wall unit doors.

Been on a bit of Neo binge recently.

A Dirnt type build got an Entwistle split-P, it'll stay for awhile then I'll go opposite direction with alnico 2.

One of the PB-50s was poorly mistreated, had tapes + a Herrick neodymium for years; lovely to my ears. Duncan SCPB-2 (hot vintage) went in then promptly out again 🤣 

Duncan has been replaced by the new Herrick 4 coil with alnico/neodymium slugs. Still to try an overwound alnico 2.

Can barely see daylight this deep in the 51 pickup rabbit hole 😁

BTW

I checked the Roswell/Retrovibe 51 sizes.  Big 👍if doing that swap. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, basstone said:

I upgraded a Japanese Paisley Telecaster with one of these. Great punchy tone that cut through the mix really well

Fine example of how everyone is different 🙂

The SCPB-2 & 3 were not for me though I found the SCPB-1 to be a nice pickup ; bit lacking in output but definitely nice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 23/12/2022 at 23:12, kodiakblair said:

While it is true that just about any other model in the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pickup series scoop mids big time it isn't true at all in this specific case, just exactly the '51 single coil P Quarter Pounder is an exception to this and is actually pretty mids heavy, not scooped in any possible way, and even actually has a more pronounced mids response than most other single coil P pickups out there.

And I don't agree that different pickups can't result in a substantial improvement in tone either, though of course however we define substantial is totally objective, as far as I am concerned just about every change in this context will objectively measured be relatively minor changes when looking at plain numbers or a graph, however it is exactly those small changes that can make the whole difference between something just sounding decent and then something sounding amazing when we are talking the tone of a musical instrument.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kodiakblair said:

@Baloney Balderdash

I don't look at graphs, I judge pickups using my ears.

The SCPB-3 is not a pickup I'd recommend.

So do I (using my ears), and I actually think that was pretty clear from my reply, neither did I suggest you did (judging by looking at graphs).

I don't know where you get this from.

Yes, I mentioned graphs, but not in any way so that it could be intepreted that way in the actual context.

Not everyone got the same preferences, taste or opinions, and that is perfectly fine.

We clearly don't hear the same things either, but again that doesn't necessarily mean that there is anything wrong with neither yours or mine hearing, this could be down to personal preferences too.

And just for the record I wasn't recommending the SCPB-3 either, not recommending against it either though, I will let that be up to OP to decide.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1