Why become a member? ×

MusicMan bass bridge…. But someone put super glue in the saddle screws….

Robert Manning

Hey guys!

so I picked up a MusicMan Sterling (USA) a while ago in a trade. Lovely thing; although I’ve not really touched it for a while, recently I thought to give it a nice set up… until, to my horror I realised the previous owner has glued the bridge saddles with permanent thread locker.

I think it’s permanent Thread locker as there are remnants on a browny red marks around the saddles. 

but man, can’t adjust those saddles at all - how sad. 

I’ve tried bathing them in acetone over night. 
I tried heating them with a heat gun to see if that breaks down the adhesive all in vain . 

anyone got any ideas?

looks like you cannot order replacements  to the UK. And I’m not sure if an aftermarket set of saddles would work. 

I feel like Ryan Gosling in the Papyrus SNL sketch. Just wondering to myself why they did this. Hahah. 

"To remove high strength Loctite thread locker you will need heat, up to 250° C. The heat will soften the thread locker, allowing the bolt to come loose. The bolt will not be damaged. A bolt fixed with medium strength thread locker (such as Loctite 243) can usually be removed with hand tools."

and 

"Apply heat to the head of the fastener. Warm it up for 3-4 minutes while simultaneously using the wrench to slacken the fastener. The heat will soften the thermoset plastic of the threadlocker. If the fastener begins to loosen up, apply more heat and keep working the wrench side-by-side"

Assuming the saddles can be removed from the bridge you might try heating them up in the oven (you need a Spinal Tap oven that goes to 11), or gas torch, cooker gas flame, large soldering iron, lighter?.  When hot grab the saddle with mole grips and try to wind the adjuster screws out.  It may take several goes as the saddle cools down and the thread lock hardens again.

The saddles look like 'standard' BBOT saddles which will hopefully make replacement cheap if this is required.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Robert Manning said:

Ah yes that’s a good idea. My oven does actually actually 250. Maybe I’ll hook my Darkglass OD to the oven :D might help me get to 11. 

thanks man. This gives me hope. I’ll give it another go tonight!!

I accept no responsibility for any domestic consequences of using the oven for bass fixing 🥺  Good luck!

• Haha 2

I would recommend using a jet style lighter. You can get ones for cigarettes or for kitchens or bendy ones for lighting camp stoves. I probably wouldn’t try it with the saddles installed, though.

I did once have trouble with the height adjustment screws in Steinberger, headless bridge saddles. In the end I had to drill them out. I think I got replacements by looking for M3 hex screws, in the desired length, on Amazon.

• Thanks 1

By 'stripped' do you mean that the Allen key hexagon has rounded out?  |If so, Is there enough thread sticking out at the other end to grip onto with a second set of pliers or cutters - you might get lucky.  If not,measure the saddle (width, diameter, groove position), someone in the BC collective will have a spare one, I might have something suitable which you can have free gratis.

Yeah proper stripped. I think a combination of sweat/oxidation etc and the extreme heat it just crumbled. 
I tried to use some pliers but there’s not enough to get a grip on.

thankfully it’s enough of a stump to the point that it’s how I would have my action so I flipped the saddles around the bass is now playable.  

I was thinking; I have a Dremel drill and so tiny mettle drill bits - wondering if I could drill through it and masticate the screw. 

B0D833E0-7328-4E56-B8BE-8C988BAD5E22.jpeg

0093F23C-5D0C-4113-AEE8-4A3934D785B1.jpeg

It looks like there is sufficient thread sticking out to be able to file / hacksaw a slot in.  This might give enough purchase with a flat head screwdriver.  Just wondering how much thread is on the other side - enough to grip with pliers?  If so heat as before, wind it out and replace with a new one.  I have spares, or you could get something from *bay or a local nut/bolt company. Usually friendly fastener companies will give you one free :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/12/2022 at 12:10, 3below said:

It looks like there is sufficient thread sticking out to be able to file / hacksaw a slot in.  This might give enough purchase with a flat head screwdriver.  Just wondering how much thread is on the other side - enough to grip with pliers?  If so heat as before, wind it out and replace with a new one.  I have spares, or you could get something from *bay or a local nut/bolt company. Usually friendly fastener companies will give you one free :)

Yes hacksaw looks like the way to go