Why become a member? ×

Good enough to gig

Chappers

Greetings all,
Been hanging around a while and thought I'd better pipe up!
I'd like to join a band, but when is it a good time to do so?
My tutor says, no problem go for it, and I'm playing regulaly at buskers venues, but it's having the bottle to cross the line to join a group I'm having issue with.
Whadd ya reckon?

Go for it. What do you have to lose? Look for a local band who needs a bassist, ask them if they have any tunes to learn before you turn up to the first rehearsal, and if they think you're suitable you're away. If not, no harm done, try another band. Once you're in a band you'll build experience and confidence quickly.

I dont think theres any time too soon Iv been in a band pretty much since I picked up a bass (true this is due to friends rather than serious bands but it doesnt change many things) I played me first gig 2 weeks after I started it was only two simple songs so my mate could sing and play guitar but non the less a steep learning curve that only did me a world of good. I think you learn alot while being in a band.

I'd say go for it.
Although lessons can be really helpful, I think you'll learn a great deal from playing with other musicians.

Besides which, isn't being in a band the main (for most of us) reason for taking up bass in the first place... just be choosy about who you play with - if it doesn't feel right (for whatever reason - music, personalities etc) then move on, there are usually lots more bands than there are bassists.

Cheers Guys. Much appreciated.
I've player a couple of songs in my mates band, but it's a bit different with someone you don't know, plus, learning 1 or 2 sets worth of material will be a mega steep learning curve.
Will give a local guy a ring tonight.
I'll let you know how it goes!

Playing with others is the only way to find out what its all about.

i find that I always learn so much by playing with new people, even if its just once for a jam than I ever would twiddling at home.

Just ask any band to go through tracks while you write down chords, it will get you off to a start at first session. Don't expect to absorb songs and structures without having ever heard them even though some people will expect you to. Keep to basics until you're comfortable, which will be soon I'm sure if you've had some lessons and go for it1

[quote name='Shaggy' post='49836' date='Aug 23 2007, 10:16 PM']Joined a punk band in '77 when like Sid (Vicious) I could barely play a note. Never looked back - you only progress in a band.
(I can play 3 notes now!)[/quote]

Wow! How did you cope with going from 2-3 notes? Im still struggling with that :)

[quote name='charic' post='52447' date='Aug 29 2007, 05:41 PM']Wow! How did you cope with going from 2-3 notes? Im still struggling with that :huh:[/quote]
I moved from playing one string (the big fat one) to playing 2. Pretty chuffed with that, but it means I sometimes have to look at my left hand, which interferes with my "Billy Idol" sneer. :)

Well, rang the guy up last week. He seemed pretty positive. Said he'd ring me back :) Aint heard anything more so perhaps it's a no.
Anyway, will start looking for more adverts for bassists.
Also, last night at the buskers club I go to, the regular bassist didn't turn up, only me and another 'beginner' where there. Had a great time playing along to stuff I'd never attempted before. Well outside my comfort zone which I think is what I need.