Why become a member? ×

Status bass incoming...

joe_geezer

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Loved my King bass. Should never have parted with it.  

I really should have found the funds to buy it back when it came up for sale. 

Don't expect to ever see it again unfortunately. 

Sad to hear that, I just hope Status bass prices don't go the same way as Wals now

55 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

They already have.

I paid £1400, it sold to a fella  abroad for £1800. I haven't seen one for under £2k in ages. 

There's talk of Rob shutting down Status.  Prices will almost certainly go through the roof.

I better order some extra pickups and a preamp...

Also, you have to add to the price the duty and shipping costs if you're buying from abroad..

Edited by joe_geezer

19 hours ago, TheGreek said:

There's talk of Rob shutting down Status.  Prices will almost certainly go through the roof.

Same thing happened when Mike Pedulla closed his business. I was lucky enough to get a s/h Buzz for what is today silly money for a Pedulla.

I also have a Status graphite multiple choice bass (can’t remember the correct model name - specified and sold on line in mid 2000’s). I was thinking of moving it on., but maybe I’ll wait.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TheGreek said:

They already have.

I paid £1400, it sold to a fella  abroad for £1800. I haven't seen one for under £2k in ages. 

Status have already stopped building basses due to Rob's semi-retirement.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chris2112 said:

I wish they had never moved away from the two piece bridges and the cricket bat. The earlier models with the full size cricket bat middle section were just dreamy. 

Exactly this ^^^^^ I agree and the individual square bridge was slightly better than the last rounded incantation IMO.

Jaydee & Wal both kept their distinctive hardware & it's a shame Status didn't but the newer S2-classic headless basses were very nice, especially with black hardware... gorgeous! But, if it was up to me, i would always stick with the original distinctive hardware for sure.

On 17/12/2022 at 10:21, joe_geezer said:

Hasn't arrived yet but here's a taster...

1734093264_Screenshot2022-12-17at10_20_40.thumb.png.db6c7271e4f62ed35c96b8bd4aec849f.png

Stunning example. If it's an Empathy it will have a sweepable mid control with a three way toggle switch, from what I remember. I had a headed Empathy from this era and I remember it fondly. 

I remember playing a proper Status Series 2  like this one for the first time at the Bass Center at Wapping and being surprised that it wasn't as light as I had expected. For some reason my youthful self had assumed that all graphite basses were lightweight. Not so. Not that these basses are excessively heavy, by any means but they are usually over 9 pounds. 

And yes, they do look the business with that two piece brass bridge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Misdee said:

Stunning example. If it's an Empathy it will have a sweepable mid control with a three way toggle switch, from what I remember. I had a headed Empathy from this era and I remember it fondly. 

I remember playing a proper Status Series 2  like this one for the first time at the Bass Center at Wapping and being surprised that it wasn't as light as I had expected. For some reason my youthful self had assumed that all graphite basses were lightweight. Not so. Not that these basses are excessively heavy, by any means but they are usually over 9 pounds. 

And yes, they do look the business with that two piece brass bridge.

Nice! I have a similar story back from the Wapping Bass Center days, the first bass i ever picked up that blew me away was a all graphite series 2, the playability , sound and feel was second to none and i was hooked... unfortunately back then i didn't have the funds to get one but it did keep me awake at night dreaming about one day owning one! lol

Yea i think i'm quite lucky with the weight of this one, its about 8.8 - 8.9Ibs apparently,  which for me being a Jaydee player is super light! I'm not sure but the body wings are cherry wood, not sure if thats lighter than the regular mahogany? 

Edited by joe_geezer
  • Like 1

Stunning example, congratulations.

Looks like a late 80’s/early 90’s Series 2 to me with the original 2 band eq, by which time the cricket bat neck had been slimmed down and set into the body and the brass hardware was gold ‘painted’ (don’t know the correct terminology) rather than clear lacquered brass.

My 30th Anniversary Series 2 for retro comparison.

C6FA4AE5-B3CA-47D5-94D3-93221A639DBC.jpeg

EE52D8D8-A9BD-4F18-B7DD-49ABF3FC9782.jpeg

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Captain Bassman said:

Stunning example, congratulations.

Looks like a late 80’s/early 90’s Series 2 to me with the original 2 band eq, by which time the cricket bat neck had been slimmed down and set into the body and the brass hardware was gold ‘painted’ (don’t know the correct terminology) rather than clear lacquered brass.

My 30th Anniversary Series 2 for retro comparison.

C6FA4AE5-B3CA-47D5-94D3-93221A639DBC.jpeg

EE52D8D8-A9BD-4F18-B7DD-49ABF3FC9782.jpeg

Wow so you are one of the very lucky owners of the 30th special editions! Congratulations & that is one beautiful bass! Love the 2 coloured side LEDS & facing woods are stunning.

I read on the Status website that he managed to source some original preamp boards but made some slight improvements, so it's a real reissue.

Edited by joe_geezer

Even better if it’s a recent reissue, looks fantastic. I thought the woods looked too ‘modern Status’. The case threw me too as they’ve shipped with Hiscox cases for the last 20 odd years.

When was it made, out of interest?

Yes, my bass is number 4 of 14. And it’s not going anywhere, especially now that Rob isn’t making any more new basses!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Bassman said:

Even better if it’s a recent reissue, looks fantastic. I thought the woods looked too ‘modern Status’. The case threw me too as they’ve shipped with Hiscox cases for the last 20 odd years.

When was it made, out of interest?

Yes, my bass is number 4 of 14. And it’s not going anywhere, especially now that Rob isn’t making any more new basses!

Ahh Sorry i was talking about your bass haha

The spec on this bass is:

Second hand

Model: Series-II

Construction: Solid

Body: Walnut tone block with cherry wings

Top: Figured zebrano (book-matched)

Neck: Graphite

Neck construction: Neck-through

Frets: 24

Pickups: 2 x Status Humbucker

Controls: 1 x Master volume, 1 x mix, 1 x bass, 1 x treble, 1 x EQ bypass switch

Electronics: Active Status TB42 (with switch)

Bridge: Status

Hardware: Satin gold

Weight: 3.910 kg

Color: Natural

Includes hardcase

SN: #544

Year: 1991

921179837_Screenshot2022-12-20at22_23_09.thumb.png.e37efc03f5b0ade7172d2b836f528d40.png

52209390_Screenshot2022-12-20at22_23_51.thumb.png.65291c4611e68d8ab643cfce91d4923a.png

1765128003_Screenshot2022-12-20at22_24_31.thumb.png.4add40fa0928de47f5d21058dbbb91a5.png

Edited by joe_geezer
  • Like 4

1390342038_photo_2022-12-2313_17_06.thumb.jpeg.4c4f604a910b2fbb2b703fc1676f7682.jpeg

And together with the Jaydee... 

Had a brief play on it today, the weight is excellent, i think it's actually quite a bit lighter then the claimed 3.9kg. The playability is also excellent and i was able to get the action super low

although now will need a fret dressing at the bass gallery.

Tone is great but i have no idea what the switch does, in the down position it seems to engage the bass and treble controls but when i flick it up does this put it in passive mode?

• Like 7

Yes, active/passive switch.

Lovely basses btw.

On 23/12/2022 at 13:23, joe_geezer said:

1390342038_photo_2022-12-2313_17_06.thumb.jpeg.4c4f604a910b2fbb2b703fc1676f7682.jpeg

And together with the Jaydee... 

Had a brief play on it today, the weight is excellent, i think it's actually quite a bit lighter then the claimed 3.9kg. The playability is also excellent and i was able to get the action super low

although now will need a fret dressing at the bass gallery.

Tone is great but i have no idea what the switch does, in the down position it seems to engage the bass and treble controls but when i flick it up does this put it in passive mode?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...