Why become a member? ×

Orange Terror Bass Problem

offmybass

I picked up a new Orange Terror Bass a couple of months ago and it's been fine until today.

I was using it in practice, it worked as normal for about 10 mins then popped and cut out. I left it on standby for a bit, turned it back on and it worked for a few minutes again but then did the same. Tried turning it off disconnecting everything and plugging it back in, this time it sounded thin and nowhere near as loud, then when I switched a pedal on it cut out again. 

The amp still powers up but now either sounds thin or pops and cuts out straight away.

If it helps it's connected to an OBC410 and 115 and it's set to 4 ohm on the switch on the back.

Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone know what it could be? 

If its still under warranty might be worth speaking to Orange, I hear they are quite approachable. There's a simple test you could do to see if the issue is from the pre-amp section which has a valve in it or the class-d power amp. Plug a bass directly into the return jack, if it still sounds bad or cuts out, then the class-d power section sounds suspect and could be a warranty issue. If it cleans up and sounds ok, the front end of the amp could have an issue. Could be something as simple as a failed valve in the pre-amp as well but difficult to say. It's also worth checking the obvious if you haven't already done so. Try one speaker at a time on the 8 ohm setting with your speaker leads assuming both your cabs are  8ohms each that is and each speaker lead in turn to rule out any cable gremlins.  

• Like 1

I've had Terror bass heads for years and use the OBC410 and 115 set up. Never had that problem. Orange have always been super helpful when I have emailed. The worst I ever had was the bulb went and they sent out two replacements free of charge. Mine was bought new though and in warranty. 

The new one I received ( in poor condition from the store ) had a noisy fan ( cable near it was catching blades ) and pre amp tube was noisy 

Apart from that it then cut out and was dead for a while before coming back on.

I rejected it and decided against buying Orange 

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Send it back immediately, demand a replacement. I've had two of these and they're (usually) bulletproof. If you have an electrical problem buried in there, you don't want to spend the rest of your ownership waiting for it to obey Sod's Law.

Agree. I wouldn’t even give it any time given it’s so new. Straight back to the merchant for an exchange.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Amp now Fixed - I took it into Orange and it turned out to be a dodgy treble pot!

I've had the same problem, Just posted this 5 mins ago in the Repairs and Technical section. Did you ever get it fixed?

Hi all,

Over the last few months I've been having problems with my terror bass head.

When I go through the pre-amp I'm only getting a fraction of the volume from the amp and sometimes nothing at all. But if I plug in through the send of the effects loop I get the full 500 watts of the power amp!

So it's got to be a problem between the pre-amp and the power amp.

I've tried changing the valves and lost faith in my local amp tech guy, as I've taken it to him twice now, only for me to get it home and find it's exactly the same.

Anybody here had a similar problem?

At the moment I've managed to get over the problem by running a 'two tones revolt bass pre-amp' into the power amp, which to be honest I really like the sound of, so will probably carry on with this set up, but I'd still like to get the amp fixed.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Tony

Edited by Tmg
Problem solved