Why become a member? ×

Has anyone here bought from eBay seller MonoTokyo in Japan?

Beedster

I'm after a Yamaha SLB300 and keep missing those that arrive in UK stores (missed one at Bass Direct and at Bass gallery). It seems they're a whole lot cheaper in Japan and a lot of the sellers offer free shipping also so not only might I get an SLB300 a lot quicker which would help with a few gigs coming up - I'm being told new stock in 2023 by UK shops - but I might also get one cheaper 👍

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

There's also Bass Japan Direct who do a bass finder service.

Thanks Steve, yes there are a LOT of dealers there, I've not bought from Japan and I'm guessing things are a little different there. It seems that in the US (e.g., Talkbass) buying from Japanese dealers is very common, but less so in the UK and I'm feeling a little out of my depth on this. Despite the bass being around half the UK price (although I have to factor in duty/VAT etc), it's still a lot of cash to part with....

I’ve bought stuff from Japan before. The sellers are, by UK standards, exceptional. Descriptions are accurate and the standard of second hand goods very high. The Japanese are very discerning. (My brother is a record dealer and his wife is Japanese and they spend several months there a year. He’s never once had an issue with a second hand sale).

Of course, you’ll need to pay import duties, but there are several calculators that can help you calculate it. From memory it’s something like 30% on top (but I’m tired and this may be well out!)

If you’re buying from an established and reputable seller I can’t see there being a problem. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

There's also Bass Japan Direct who do a bass finder service.

I've used him in the past. Probably the best bass buying experience I've ever had. Great communication throughout and Danny even sent me a demo video once he'd received my bass. I can't recommend him highly enough! 

The price was realistic too.

• Like 1

I bought a bass over the counter in Ishibashi Shibuya and the service was exceptional.  The assistant carefully disassembled by bass, labelled each neck screw, coiled strings and wrapped neck and body in copious amounts of bubble wrap to ensure save transit in my luggage.  Any of the unboxing videos I have seen of Japanese Fenders show the instruments wrapped incredibly securely.

• 1 month later...

IME unless you are going go and buy in person Ishibashi are the only Japanese seller who are properly geared up to deal with foreign sales. I've bought 4 or 5 times from them without any problems, so long as you remember to figure in postage and import charges. Trying to buy on-line from anywhere else like Digimart has been an exercise in futility.