Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky Metroline Japan vs Germany

Undertone

6 minutes ago, Hoffbass said:

All correct, and just one thing to add. There was no QC issue with MIJ Metroexpress but rather production on a larger scale and distribution. Warwick seemed to be the best solution for Roger as they have all the facilities in Germany and China and massive distribution capacity and connections (Thomann etc...) I am sad to see the MIJ Metroexpress go as they a way better construction than the Chinese ones. The headstock logo was the same ,the hardware and electronics also, and the necks had graphite bars....All of them gone now and it is super hard to find any used for sale. 

Guitarguitar still have one…

On 06/02/2023 at 15:35, cetera said:

Gotta say I prefer the Fender. Much nicer, characterful tone. It has an 'identity' that the Sadowsky seems to lack....

Great video. I prefer the Sadowsky for the even tone and guess higher built quality 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hoffbass said:

All correct, and just one thing to add. There was no QC issue with MIJ Metroexpress but rather production on a larger scale and distribution. Warwick seemed to be the best solution for Roger as they have all the facilities in Germany and China and massive distribution capacity and connections (Thomann etc...) I am sad to see the MIJ Metroexpress go as they a way better construction than the Chinese ones. The headstock logo was the same ,the hardware and electronics also, and the necks had graphite bars....All of them gone now and it is super hard to find any used for sale. 

GuitarGuitar has a brand new one for sale for £1500: https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180206322265007-3697210--sadowsky-metroexpress-japan-rv4-black-me971

2 minutes ago, Hoffbass said:

I know, they've been trying to sell it for around 1500 (the only one I found). They should drop the price with a further 20 % then it would sell. 

Yeah, I imagine once the 2023 MXs come out they'll have to discount it even more heavily to shift it.

3 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

Yeah, I imagine once the 2023 MXs come out they'll have to discount it even more heavily to shift it.

Hope so. This Sad has been on their website among tonnes of half priced Chinese made for quite a long time and they cannot move it. They still want to stick to this high price, but I assume too at some point they have to drop it. This series is gone and will not have a revival year like any classic Stingray, Sabre, or 60s jazzes etc.. It is exceptional bass, but kinda dead. For 1500 you could get a G&L USA or Sandberg with much higher resale value.  

• Like 1

For what it's worth I purchased a German Metroline Will Lee a couple of months ago and to be frank it is out of this world.

My experiences with the Japanese variants found them to be extremely high quality too, albeit much heavier (for example my WL comes in at 7.4lbs).

Best jazz I've ever owned and I've owned a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

I just tried the above Japanese RV4 Metro Express that’s been hanging around at GuitarGuitar Edinburgh (I’m on holiday)for a while now and have to say I’m surprised it’s still there. Lovely!  I’m a very happy Chinese Tesco Express owner,  I’m intrigued to try the new line.   At £1400 for the Japanese one, if it had been a 5 string I’d be sorely tempted in fact I think I still am. 

Edited by lonestar

• 1 month later...

I have just picked up a tobacco burst mint condition Japanese Metro Express and it’s absolutely awesome. I have played and owned a number of Jazz basses including Fender, Sandberg, Xotic to name just a few and this is hands down the best playing and sounding Jazz bass I have played.  

Edited by MNY
  • Like 2

On 09/07/2023 at 22:44, LukeFRC said:

Guitarguitar still have one…

I played that in Edinburgh in August. it’s been on the shelf for ages. Not sure why as it felt and sounded great  I was quoted a best price of £1400, although the ticket still said £1799 so maybe  that’s why. If I’d been in the market for another 4 string jazz I’d have brought it home.

Edited by lonestar

• 4 weeks later...

I forgot to add that I bought a German made Sadowsky a couple of months ago as an early 60th birthday treat from a well known retail chain. It had the MM/J configuration and a rare Snakewood top. The price was close to £3500. When the bass arrived I noticed during the unpacking process a disclaimer that the top was prone to cracking. There was no mention of this on the retailer’s website. When I checked the bass itself I noticed a couple of cracks which were pretty unsightly. The bass was duly returned and my money refunded. Despite this I wouldn’t be put off considering another Sadowsky Metro but at the price point there are a number of other options I would also consider instead. 

That being said it would take something special to beat my Japanese 2018 MetroExpress which is stunning. Thanks to Will at BassBros for looking after me! 

IMG_2643.thumb.jpeg.7e80a21ee7c5a424525c3583d1f7d4eb.jpegIMG_2850.thumb.jpeg.27fd6e912a47f4f7d28f2ee9a12b6b2b.jpeg

Edited by MNY
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
20 minutes ago, Jonny Lowe said:

Hi, I am looking at an MIJ MV4 at around £1500, is this the right price level as I don’t have enough experience to gauge this?

I’ve seen mij on a range from 1200-2100 depending - so it sounds about right ballpark to me 

On 06/02/2023 at 15:35, cetera said:

Gotta say I prefer the Fender. Much nicer, characterful tone. It has an 'identity' that the Sadowsky seems to lack....

I had a Metro UV4 jazz many years ago. I didn’t like it at all, purely because for me, it had no soul. I preferred my Highway One Jazz at the time, which became my main gigging bass for a long time. The Sadowsky was sold soon after.

• Like 1