Why become a member? ×

Drives/Distortions/Fuzzes through amp DI - Beat the fizz?

thisisswanbon

Hey All!

Pretty much as the title suggests... This is both an issue I have and something that I think would be useful all around, I can't be the only one with this conundrum!

I'm lucky enough to have a mega and hugely loud amp (MB vintage 1000 and Barefaced BTII), but for overall mix and consistency I DI to the desk and use my amp for stage monitoring and balance when we're on a single sub set up...

As with most players these days, I use various drives, fuzzes and saw wave synth effects, which sound great through my cab but too fizzy through the desk.

First I thought cab sim, but that'd ruin the cab sound... then I thought set the DI post EQ and turn the top end down on the amp, but then the cab sound is affected and too dark. The dual output modellar approach seems to be an idea, but I'm just not convinced by digital modelling yet. My HX stomp swiftly got moved on.

Has anyone got a work around for this? How did you find harmony between your on stage and FOH sounds???

I have a Sansamp pedal (bddi v2) last in my chain before it hits the amp and subsequent Di out from the amp.

In my experience not only does it alleviate this issue for me, whilst still retaining the core sound, but makes all dirt pedals sound so much better and takes that raw fizz off.

I'd think that would be simpler than a dual output approach, but there are many ways to go about it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It’s all down to the di, you could try something like a cab m from two notes? Send the foh a nice ir and still have the sound from speakers 

my first thing would be speaking to the sound man tho, as they should be able to put a filter on the fi to take of some high end fuzz, also some sound guys have no idea what to do with a bass with distortion

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just resurrecting this one a bit as I’ve been messing around at home with pedalboard (fuzz etc) into audio interface for use in logic. It sounds horrendous until I put an amp sim on.

which made me realise that is this essentially the sound I am sending to the front of house or does the di on my Ampeg SVT-cl colour the sound so it sounds nicer? I may have to experiment. 

Im thinking if it does sound like this to front of house. either asking to mic the amp at gigs or I’m wondering whether splitting the signal and adding a Ampeg sim pedal to the board plus DI. would be a viable option. 

Edited by Wilson_51_

1 hour ago, Wilson_51_ said:

Just resurrecting this one a bit as I’ve been messing around at home with pedalboard (fuzz etc) into audio interface for use in logic. It sounds horrendous until I put an amp sim on.

which made me realise that is this essentially the sound I am sending to the front of house or does the di on my Ampeg SVT-cl colour the sound so it sounds nicer? I may have to experiment. 

Im thinking if it does sound like this to front of house. either asking to mic the amp at gigs or I’m wondering whether splitting the signal and adding a Ampeg sim pedal to the board plus DI. would be a viable option. 

This seems to be a massive struggle with drive and FOH.  You'll need a cab sim in some capacity or a LPF and HPF to shave off the high end and roll off some of the lows as a cab would.  The only pre amps I've seen with separate EQ for DI and cab sims (except for HX Stomps etc) are the Origin Effects bass rig pre amps.  I'm sure the more learned folks amongst us could suggest others though...

I’ve got around this by using an OmniIR cab sim. It’s the last thing in my signal chain and allows me to have a ‘thru’ to my amp if I’m using one and a xlr out to the desk. 

As much as I enjoy the sound of my cab this is the most hassle free option.  Some venues might mic your cab but an IR loader might be the best option and there are many option for cabs where you’ll find something that works for you. 

• Like 2

Lots of ways to split your signal so that only the DI gets the cab sim treatment. Sansamp VTDI/BDDI pedals have an unaffected thru output.

There’s also the Darkglass Element and OmniCabSim, which both offer cab sims with a DI, headphone amp and aux in. The Element can be connected to the speaker cab if you want to capture your amp sound!

I believe you can load whatever IRs you want using the Darkglass Suite. I never needed to for my purposes.

EDIT: Website confirms that 3rd party IRs can be loaded onto the Element using the desktop version of the Darkglass Suite

Edited by Bigwan
  • Like 1

I think 3rd party IRs might have been a later addition to the software. Element looks great although id love to see a comparison to the Cab M.

When I've been practicing I've been putting a LPF on in logic around 3khz at -6db per octave in Logic and it's a huge improvement. Thats the same approach the took on the Jad Freer Capo and I've gotta say I really like the simplicity of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to update this thread. I’ve found a solution that works for me (potentially). i ended up buying a hotone omni ir and coupling it with a broughton sv-pre and using them both as my foh sound. 

I’ve loaded the ir with a dr bonkers ampeg 8x10. It sounds in the ball park to my amp so I’m happy. The real test will hopefully be at this weekends gig.  

I’ve also added a ABY so I can split the signal one to amp and the other to foh stuff. 

6C1012AE-C882-4B3E-9889-2159593D11C8.thumb.jpeg.eae3741e4e73292566146b3598b146a4.jpeg

well - not to suggest you need to buy new gear, but if there's something I've taken from the Jad Freer Capo threads is that users are very happy with the LPF function.

An LPF after the DI could help you reduce that sizzle/fizzle on the top whilst still sending a pretty much full signal to your cab - it is the way I'm planning to work moving forwards!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ander87 said:

well - not to suggest you need to buy new gear, but if there's something I've taken from the Jad Freer Capo threads is that users are very happy with the LPF function.

An LPF after the DI could help you reduce that sizzle/fizzle on the top whilst still sending a pretty much full signal to your cab - it is the way I'm planning to work moving forwards!

Aye it's pretty great, i use some pretty aggressive distortion/fuzz in a couple of songs and while the Capo LPF isn't particularly noticeable through the cab but the DI is perfect.

• Like 1