Why become a member? ×

MMP

bloke_zero

I've just ordered a custom bass body from guitar and bass build. Pretty exciting! James there was very good. He was nice enough to talk through what I wanted in excruciating detail.

* Capri orange nitro finish as new

* MM and P rout with MM in the sweet spot and the P reversed so that EA is in the traditional spot

* Stingray body shape

* 2 piece Sapele

I've a roasted maple neck, pickups and Luistand Preamp from the previous incarnation. Just waiting to see how long it'll take - I expect in the new year sometime.

MMP body pickup placement.pdf

Screenshot 2022-11-08 at 17.16.31.png

Edited by bloke_zero
Pickup placement image
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with this!

I just recieved a custom stingray body from them too. I didn't realise they could now do nitro sprays as new, would've preferred that to the poly. 

Over all satisfied with the body though i think it needs a little extra buffing in places.

What did annoy me was not giving the bass a rear routed cavity which I had paid for. Sent them a mail to see if anything can be done about this! 

I did find James very helpful when ordering, im sure yours will be great, especially that colour! 

• 4 months later...

ORANGE!

It has been sometime but I think we're days away - this from Guitar and Bass build - final buff then on it's way apparently. Nitro, over mahogany (Sapele).

IMG_4428.thumb.JPG.4b0b11ef74366776309c1193b12d9510.JPG

Now debating whether to stick with the roasted maple neck (could be a mismatch with the mahogany?) or bung the rosewood jazz neck I have on.

Looking forward to hearing the Luistand preamp and the pickups each in my 'perfect' postitions.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Optical illusion or is that a small body? 

Review for the Lusithand preamp please.

It's a standard stingray size I hope! Maybe he's just a giant?

I'll need to re-install them in the new body before I can really say as I've sort of started to forget (it's been months!).

I liked them - clear, clean, strong sound from the buffered inputs. The filtering was strong - going from about 4k to 150Hz or therabouts.

50 minutes ago, attackbass said:

Looks good! I finally had my bass assembled and it is killin'! 

Good to know! I got a p-bass body of theirs off ebay and I was very pleased with it. I just need to hack out a truss rod adjustment hole on that as taking the neck off to fix the intonation is killing me!

Moving towards the end game.

Finish is POPPING, I'm very pleased. These are a little dull, but you get an idea.

signal-2023-04-18-130959.thumb.jpeg.0b61822591cb63be0a44daa3088648a8.jpegsignal-2023-04-18-131042_002.thumb.jpeg.aed714fec49bc6aa15036ceab88acb02.jpegsignal-2023-04-18-131532_002.thumb.jpeg.98568534f9849696a1dd87fd199082cf.jpeg

Now I just need to re-drill for fender bridge, 4 knobs and 3 switches and move the pickups and electronics across.

signal-2023-04-18-131622.thumb.jpeg.dc11c4d9d50cb5dad36cf92ec1ec1e1b.jpeg

• Like 5

I've changed my mind on the bridge. Ordered a MM style bridge which I hope will match the guide drill holes. I had no idea how hard it would be to find something compatible! this was it:

https://www.ampshopbassexchange.com/product/albridge-parts-m20-mm-style-4-string-bridge-for-sterling-olp-and-overseas-basses/

Or this

https://www.armstrongmusic.co.uk//hardware-parts-c1/bridges-tailpieces-c2/bass-c96/armstrong-music-musicman-style-bass-bridge-chrome-p2093/s2780

Now my bass mate is bothering me about a pickguard. Says the stingray pickguard is iconic and I'm letting myself down and the bass down if I don't get one 🙄

How long did you wait between final spray and polish?

Im finishing spray tomorrow and everything im reading says wait at least three weeks.

Thats going to be hard!

Edit: i just sqw you didnt paint it yourself. Looks like they dont wait but a few days. Is it poly or nitro?

Edited by lidl e

11 hours ago, lidl e said:

How long did you wait between final spray and polish?

Im finishing spray tomorrow and everything im reading says wait at least three weeks.

Thats going to be hard!

Edit: i just sqw you didnt paint it yourself. Looks like they dont wait but a few days. Is it poly or nitro?

It's nitro. There were issues with the nitro going off in the cold weather over Christmas. MMm - April 12th for picture + 6 days to get to me. I think your maths is correct! Sorry I can't be more help!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bloke_zero said:

It's nitro. There were issues with the nitro going off in the cold weather over Christmas. MMm - April 12th for picture + 6 days to get to me. I think your maths is correct! Sorry I can't be more help!

No worries.

I wouldn't rest it in a case for extended periods of time until it cured a bit more if it were me as nitro stays soft for a while and the fabirc in a case could cause an impression in the paint.  Should be fine hanging though, just allowing it to air out while still being able to use it. 

I can't imagine i will wait the full three weeks to polish, i'm going to try, but more likely will be 2.

Did some work at the weekend. Electronics in place (tight fit inside the standard MM cavity!). Sounding good! It's got that grind at the top end.

Right now the neck is back off as the fit between neck and pocket was 5mm loose, so I'm going to re-drill.

Pretty pleased so far!

IMG_1527.thumb.jpeg.762d75a150a27c87107837efc8ca36e4.jpeg

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Owen said:

It is so weird with white pickup covers. I used to think they were the beyond tasteless. Now I cannot get enough of them in bright coloured basses.

I know what you mean. Feels a little bit like wearing trousers that end 2 inches above the ankle and white socks with a pair of loafers. Or something!

It's hard to know which way to got wth orange. Black or tort pickguard with black pickups, or white on white. I'm feeling the white right now though it's sort of accidental!